All living characters with Valyrian blood

electricguitarist

7 hours ago, Sensenmenn said:

Valyrian blood means nothing! You need targ blood to have a chance at ridding a dragon.

There were other dragon lords in Valyria before the Doom. The Targaryens were the only ones who survived it. So there were other people who could ride dragons as well.

3 hours ago, Lord Corlys Velaryon said:

And Euron & Vic both planned to circumvent that by making themselves the "master" of the horn, even though intending other/s to blow it.

Hide contents

In Vic I, TWoW, he even has three oarsmen from his fleet lined up to do such.

They don't actually know how it works. Since it is a magical item, the person blowing the horn is the person the dragon would be bound to. Having others do it won't work, especially when they drop dead a minute later. My guess is that only a dragonlord can blow it and survive.

19 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Lol, I wasn't going to comment, but I just want to give a big thumbs up to this comment. Exactly. A huge, huge amount of people have Valaryan blood. 

It is not just any Valyrian blood, it is noble Valyrian blood, specifically the dragon lords. There would have been a large number of small folk in the freehold as well as the lords, but only the lords had the right blood.

3 hours ago, Lord Corlys Velaryon said:

Nor can she survive fire - GRRM has said so multiple times (one & two) that Drogo's pyre was a one time magical event - plus she has been burned since (Daznak's & riding Drogon). She really only has some heat tolerance.

Yes, but the trick is that the horn may burn others, but it won't burn the RIGHT person, as a result of the magical runes inscribed on it. They are a form of protective curse. If you don't have the right blood, it will burn you, if you do have the right blood it won't. Think of it as a kind of security spell the dragon lords put on it, just in case one fell into the wrong hands.

If <blower> = "dragon lord"

Then Call {bind dragon}

Else Call {flameback}

EndSpell

10 hours ago, Sensenmenn said:

The title is a mistake if you read the first post you would know he's asking about dragon blood and those who can ride dragons not valyrian blood wich is nothing special.

There were 40 dragon riding families in Valyria, Targaryen blood is no superior to theirs.

7 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

There were 40 dragon riding families in Valyria, Targaryen blood is no superior to theirs.

Those 39 families don't matter because their all dead only those of targ descent have the ability to ride dragons in presint day. You realy need to reed the thread and stay on topic. Those 39 families and those of valyrian descent have nothing to do with this thread.

1 hour ago, Sensenmenn said:

Those 39 families don't matter because their all dead only those of targ descent have the ability to ride dragons in presint day. You realy need to reed the thread and stay on topic. Those 39 families and those of valyrian descent have nothing to do with this thread.

Now your just talking nonsense.  The dragonlords themselves died, not all the descendants of their bloodline, as I said in my original post, which was directly related to the OP before you side tracked us, there are countless thousands of people who have Valyrian blood, and an incalculable number of them would descend from dragon riding families.  We are explicitly told in the books that in order to live within the black walls of Volantis you have to be able to trace your lineage to 1 or more of those families.  So in Volantis alone there are thousands of people with Dragonlord blood.

36 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Now your just talking nonsense.  The dragonlords themselves died, not all the descendants of their bloodline, as I said in my original post, which was directly related to the OP before you side tracked us, there are countless thousands of people who have Valyrian blood, and an incalculable number of them would descend from dragon riding families.  We are explicitly told in the books that in order to live within the black walls of Volantis you have to be able to trace your lineage to 1 or more of those families.  So in Volantis alone there are thousands of people with Dragonlord blood.

The volantis nobles are not descended from dragon lords! Their descended from low level soldiers that made up volantis befor the doom.

Here look at the wiki http://m.westeros.org/index.php/Old_Blood its under about.

4 minutes ago, Sensenmenn said:

The volantis nobles are not descended from dragon lords! Their descended from low level soldiers that made up volantis befor the doom.

Here look at the wiki http://m.westeros.org/index.php/Old_Blood its under about.

Your citing the wiki dude... We learn about it in Tyrions POV from the lady of the waterfront, you have to trace your lineage to one of the 40 families.  We are also told in TWOIAF that when Garin was moving down the Rhoyne with his army that some in Volantis asked family members in Valyria for help, and so the first battle that involved dragons there were only 3 because that was just family helping family.  Also, Volantis was founded as a trading city, it was never made up of just low level soldiers like a fortress such as Dragonstone may have been.  The merchants who founded the city were rich enough to have the black walls built.

9 hours ago, tugela said:

The kingsmoot. Euron has someone blow it and they die because it seared their lungs.

I meant at what point in the book is it hinted that Dany would survive that, or that Euron even intends to have her blow the horn?  The actual horn, not some lewd innuendo.

Okay, so I just wanted to clear up a couple of things. First of all, me mentioning dragons was more intended as a side note, rather than the main point of my post. To me the number one priority was figuring out who has Valyrian blood. So even though I included Shireen Baratheon on my list, it doesn't mean that I think that she will end up riding Rhaegal or Viserion. Also, several people have been saying that only people with Targaryen blood can ride dragons. I do not know if this is true or not. I know that the Targaryens were the only dragon riding family that survived the doom of Valyria (even though Aurion survived, but who knows if he fathered any children). All I'm saying is I wouldn't be very surprised if someone like Tyrion figured out how to ride Rhaegal or Viserion using his wits. Also, some people have been saying that basically everyone in the free cities and probably a large majority of Westeros have Valyrian blood, and while this may be true, the purpose of this list is to add people where it is explicitly stated in the text that they are Valyrian. So even though only people with Targaryen blood may be able to ride dragons, I'm not ruling out people with Celtigar or Velaryon blood.

On 6/27/2016 at 4:30 AM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

There are way much more characters than those you have listed and it's impossible to have a list with everyone. For example; Daemon had two daughters with Laena one of them was married with the lord of Driftmark and her descendants are not only the house Velaryon but also their in laws. Rhaena was married with Garmund Hightower and had six daughters, we can only guess that these daughters had married and had children of their own and so on. Elaena was married with Ossifer Plumm and gave birth to Viserys Plumm who had descendants. From her second marriage with Ronnel Penrose she gave birth to four more children Robin, Laena, Jocely and Joy and it’s very likely that all of them had descendants and let’s not forget her bastards Jeyne and Jon who was the founder of House Longwaters. Egg's sisters Rhae and Daella also had descendants who we don't know their names yet and let’s not forget about the Baratheons and the Martells. There were also dragonseeds like Aemond's bastard and lost heirs like Aerea, Rhalla, Vaella and Maegor and those are just the people in Westeros.

The point is that no one can make a list about people with Valyrian blood because after three hundred years it's only natural that quite a lot highborns and smallfolk will have a drop of dragon's blood. Also you assume that Valyrian blood is what someone needs to ride a dragon which is something that we don't know for sure.

Welcome to the forums!

I will definitely add House Plumm to my list. I don't think I will add House Hightower, because Garmund Hightower wasn't a lord, so I think he may have been part of a small branch of House Hightower. Same thing goes for Ronnel Penrose. Thanks for reminding me about House Longwaters, I should definitely add Rennifer Longwaters to my list.

Yes, I'm sure there are way more Valyrian people then I will be able to count, but I'm making this list based on characters where it is explicitly stated in the text that they have Valyrian ancestry. Nobody is one hundred percent sure that the only thing you need to ride a dragon is a drop of Valyrian blood so I am definitely keeping my eyes open for any possibilities.

Thanks for your help!

On 6/27/2016 at 5:53 AM, Lord Corlys Velaryon said:

Nice list start & post!

A person doesn't necessarily need Valyrian ancestry to be able to bond with & ride a dragon - both Euron (I'd be a bit surprised if he doesn't end up with one at least briefly) & Vic (Euron is so playing the big lug & it's not going to end well for him) intend to control a dragon via Dragonbinder & seemingly don't have Valyrian ancestry. Plus ...

Hide contents

Nettles from The Princess & the Queen novella about the Dance may not have been a dragonseed (Targ bastard), but instead came to control Sheepstealer through well, simply feeding him a sheep daily.

It means that the likes of say Tyrion, assuming he isn't Aerys' son (which I don't think he is or, or his siblings), may come to riding a dragon through solely his wits & knowledge of dragon lore. But yes, Valyrian ancestry is the driving factor to who can be a dragonrider & who can't.

I wouldn't necessarily include him tbh, because of his seemingly non-Rhoynish titles in not being Nymeros Martell nor Prince. Though they had many favourable concessions in joining the Seven Kingdoms through Baelor & Daeron II, it may be that cadet lines of House Martell don't carry the Rhoynish titles so there was only a certain amount of princes & princesses. Or something like that. As to additions:

• Robert's bastards: Edric Storm, Mya Stone, Gendry & Bella. Though none of them are going to be a dragonrider.
  • As the others said, the House Plumm of Westeros have Targ ancestry through Elaena if their line is descended from her (probably). That would be known members Lord Philip & his sons Sers Dennis, Peter & Harwyn. Again, not going to be riders.
  • Certainly, despite such mixed heritage, Brown Ben Plumm seems to be telling the truth about being descended from Elaena (& likely Aegon IV as Tyrion surmises). Especially given the affinity Dany's dragons for him, particularly Viserion. Such would be specific if Viserion's egg (pale cream streaked with gold) was actually once Elaena's (platinum white with a bright golden streak), which I think it was (easy explanation for how Illyrio got the egg's - Varys stole them from the Targs) - Viserion was recognising a descendant of his original "mother".
  • Possibly (I think almost certainly) Brienne via mayhaps one of Egg's sisters, Daella or Rhae. Again, I don't see her being one.
  • Edmure, Ned & Cat's kids & Sweetrobin may have Targ ancestry through Hoster's wife, Minisa Whent, if her line descended from House Lothston. Lord Manfryd/Manfred was possibly (I think likely) the bastard son of Aegon IV. Out of those, I think only Bran is a possibility of controlling a dragon & that through skinchanging of one &/or a rider.

I will definitely keep in mind that Valyrian blood isn't the only qualifying factor you need to be able to ride a dragon. I have no idea if Euron or Victarion will end up riding a dragon using Dragonbinder. Also Tyrion has the possibility of using his wits to mount a dragon. So I'm not ruling anything out in this post. I feel really stupid for forgetting about Robert's bastards, thanks for reminding me. House Plumm I must add as well.

Recently, George R. R. Martin has confirmed that Brienne is actually the descendant of Ser Duncan the Tall! Crazy, right? Look it up if you don't believe me. So unless Dunk had children with Daella or Rhae, I don't think Brienne has Targaryen blood. Minisa could be descended from House Lothson, but it's never explicitly stated, so I'm just not going to include her descendants. Thanks for your help, and keep in mind that me bringing up the dragons was intended to be a side note, so even though I will include Edric Storm on my list, it doesn't mean I think he has a possibility of mounting Rhaegal or Viserion.

17 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

You make a logically farcical argument.  if people that far out can ride the dragons, than almost any nobility in Westeros and any person from Lys/Volantis should be able to ride a dragon.

I don't think you understood my post :rolleyes:

On 6/27/2016 at 6:20 AM, Knight Of Winter said:

- entire population of Lys, Myr, Tyrosh, Pentos, Norvos, Lorath, Qohor and Volantis - them beign former Valyrian colonies and all

- at least hundreds of thousands of ordinary Westerosi, whose one ancestor impregnated/was impregnated by a random Targaryen. Just imagine how many Targaryen genes did e.g. Aegon IV or Robert Baratheon spread.

All in all, Valyrian blood is neither that rare nor exclusive. Quite the contrary.

I understand this, but the point of this list is to add characters where it is stated very clearly in the books that they have Valyrian blood. It needs to be said explicitly.

Archived