Missing a Meisha Merlin/Sub Press numbered or lettered ed?

Geddon

Because the first books are generally more valuable. The Meisha Merlin Game of Thrones by itself has sold for around $2000 several times recently. The Sub Press Storm of Swords (Sub Press' first book) also commands a higher price than Clash or Feast usually.

Also, when a set has sold for around $5k, that includes rights to purchase to all future books in that number, which at this point would include Sub Press' editions of Game of Thrones and Clash of Kings, and eventually books 6-7. That $800 auction does not include future rights. But hey, maybe that would be a good price in the long run, they way it seems to be going.

I'll be selling a partial set of Feast and Dance + rights soon, since I later acquired a complete matching set to replace it. Can't wait to see what it goes for!

@NameIsReekItRhymesWithLeek

Dude, it's not that bad. You now have the rights of first refusal of the reprinting of the first two books in the series, as well as Winds of Winter. (Unless you're the one who got the #2 Dance. Then you are truly fucked.)

I've been looking for a limited copy for months now and I can't even find one for sale anywhere.

I think it's worth more than Dance, because it is more rare.

I got this one http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1438.l2649 It's not cheap, but it's not off-putting either. The last numbered I saw sold, went for 600usd, and there used to be one on ebay with "Buy it now" for 800usd.

oh man did i really get ripped off that bad? i told you guys i was new here none of you wanted to sell me dance so I over payed on ebay. how come the sets go for 3-5k when one book going for 800 is a rip off?

There is no way that you can ever get ripped off if you paid what it was worth to you. Don't feel bad about it. You wanted it, you paid what you were able to, you got it, that's what it's worth to you.

oh man did i really get ripped off that bad? i told you guys i was new here none of you wanted to sell me dance so I over payed on ebay. how come the sets go for 3-5k when one book going for 800 is a rip off?

I wouldn't have paid that for Dance, but if you are ready to pay $800 for it I don't think my or anyone opinion matters. These books are for collectors and fans, so if you have the money, why not. Personnaly if I had the cash I would be owning an entire set right now.

The only problem is, you don't have the rights for the next books...

@NameIsReekItRhymesWithLeek

Dude, it's not that bad. You now have the rights of first refusal of the reprinting of the first two books in the series, as well as Winds of Winter. (Unless you're the one who got the #2 Dance. Then you are truly fucked.)

I got this one http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1438.l2649 It's not cheap, but it's not off-putting either. The last numbered I saw sold, went for 600usd, and there used to be one on ebay with "Buy it now" for 800usd.

Do you go on ebay everyday to look for those books? Because it seems I miss all of them...

I understand thanks for the feedback on this hopefully it will keep going up in price too. does the fact that its the #2/448 make a difference

The number or letter doesn't really make a difference, a PC (publishers copy) is usually considered to be worth a bit less than the equivalent numbered/lettered book though.

In my opinion $800 too much for a numbered copy of Dance with no rights to buy future books, and I'd advise you to consider carefully whether you wish to take advantage of the seller's 30 day return policy.

If you are really set on collecting this set of limited editions I'd recommend that you save your money until you find a seller willing to sell Storm, Feast and Dance together and who is willing to transfer rights to future books with the same number. You'll then be able to build a full Sub Press set as and when each new book is released. Trying to build a set piecemeal is unlikely to save you any money in the long run and, as the books will almost certainly not have matching numbers, your set will have a lower resale value.

It's definitely not a great price, but it's not absurd. Even though you didn't get the rights to purchase future books you may be able to negotiate that with the seller. Could be that you pay a premium on each book and continue to receive books through your eBay seller on a regular basis. You could also try to purchase the rights to future books outright.

Thats going to be really hard. I can almost guarantee that #2 belongs to a lifetime subscriber, and those rights are not transferable. If the ebay seller is the subscriber, you might make some kind of a deal, but looking at his other books, none have matching numbers, and many are PC, so it implicated that the seller does not have a lifetime subscrition on #2.

I'd go straight to SubPress and aks them about it.

Well my thinking was since I was buying dragons only and I have no idea where to get #2 of swords and feasts ill never have the complete set with same number so I didn't really bother with the future rights. I also had under 1k to spend not upwards of 3-5k at the moment so I can't buy a collection outright so I'm going to have to build up over time.

Well my thinking was since I was buying dragons only and I have no idea where to get #2 of swords and feasts ill never have the complete set with same number so I didn't really bother with the future rights. I also had under 1k to spend not upwards of 3-5k at the moment so I can't buy a collection outright so I'm going to have to build up over time.

Forget about the matching number part, at this point when you buy the rights what you are really buying is the option to get future volumes at list price - which I can almost guarantee is going to be a big saving on what those books will cost if you have to buy them one-by-one from a third party. You are buying the option to pick up Wind, GoT, CoK plus any other volumes for $250-300 each rather than the $700-1000 that I suspect they will each fetch on the second hand market. Spend more now to avoid being repeatedly gouged later on.

Fair enough if you don't have all the money required to buy a set plus rights at the moment, maybe you can find a bookseller willing to accept a layaway plan.

The eBay seller did offer to sell me rights to next books so that is on the table I just didn't think it worth it for the reasons stated above

I agree with Geddon. Geddon, has the best advice, when it comes to collecting these limited editions. I would try to return the copy, if the seller would be willing. I think the price is too much without future rights. Trust me, you will be able to eventually find a copy that includes rights, and maybe even a complete set. They do not come up often, BUT they do come up. Just be patient. I think it is best to hold onto your money until you can get rights or a set. You will definitely benefit more in the long run. Just my opinion.

Also, It also sounds like the seller is being difficult by not offering you the rights, etc. It just pisses me off that sellers keep breaking these sets apart... :bang:

Thats going to be really hard. I can almost guarantee that #2 belongs to a lifetime subscriber, and those rights are not transferable. If the ebay seller is the subscriber, you might make some kind of a deal, but looking at his other books, none have matching numbers, and many are PC, so it implicated that the seller does not have a lifetime subscrition on #2.

I'd go straight to SubPress and aks them about it.

As far as I know, Subpress doesn't offer "lifetime subscriptions" (at least not in the way I'm thinking). I think the way he generally offers rights is to the holder of the most recently published title in the series. Still, you're probably right that someone with #2 has a good relationship with Bill. It's quite possible they do have an equivalent to "lifetime subscription"!

@Reek...Leek: How much did he want for the rights? (if you're comfortable sharing that info, of course)

Try contacting BGC. He has a full number matching # 266 from GOT to Dance with future rights for sale. I bought Feast from him, and then I bought Dance from Subpress which cost me under 1000 for both in the end. he's a pretty cool fella:

@Rugburn: Most small publishers offer lifetime subscritions when they are starting out, to get the cash flowing early on. I contacted SubPress about a Feast #273, and was told this number belonged to one of them, so future rights would not be available through SubPress. I'm still pretty certain this goes for #2 also, but it seems it can all work out through the ebay seller :)

@Rugburn: Most small publishers offer lifetime subscritions when they are starting out, to get the cash flowing early on.

Right - but that means you are getting rights of refusal on every book they publish with that number, regardless of series. In regard to #273, I would be willing to bet the reason you can't get it is because that number is purchased by Camelot Books.

Archived