Can't Believe They Spoiled That! *SPOILERS*

YoungGriff89

6 hours ago, Steelborn said:

Shireen was set to burn since the beginning. The foreshadowing is there. However I still think it's highly improbable for Stannis to do the deed, if he wins and survives the Battle for Winterfell, I'll take out the "highly" before "improbable".

I agree.

Sansa was just placed in Jeyne Poole's role and they fattened that up as Sansa is a main character.  The knock-on effect of that change has been huge in the Northern plotlines.  The abuse of Sansa is a direct result of that placement, I think, rather than reflecting any future Bolton-esque marriage, which I'm confident won't happen.

Could the Umbers betray the Starks further down the line - perhaps there will be a knock-on effect from the Wildings settling this side of the Wall.  It's not impossible there'd be resistance to this development.  However, it can't happen the way it was shown as the plots in the books are significantly different.

Jon becoming KitN - possible, but either through Robb's Will or I'd expect him to earn it.

7 hours ago, Steelborn said:

Shireen was set to burn since the beginning. The foreshadowing is there. However I still think it's highly improbable for Stannis to do the deed, if he wins and survives the Battle for Winterfell, I'll take out the "highly" before "improbable".

Indeed as a Stannis fan it pains to admit but the "If I must sacrifice one child to the flames to save a million from the dark " line is a clear set up for him eventually feeling the Shireen needs to burn to stop the WW but the key will be that the show was doing a clear "OMG Stannis is nuts and religion is bad" with no WW element to it while the books if it goes that route would be doing a "Last of us" route of questioning what is one life against everyone else

On 7/13/2016 at 9:27 AM, YoungGriff89 said:

So, I haven't seen any other thread like this so I figured this is an interesting question to ask since we have accepted the show and book are two separate entities and a lot of the bad writing decisions lately are mostly to blame on D&D.  What if some of these things that we are accepting as show only changes are actually story developments from later books that will happen differently?

I'll start:  Many northern houses like the Umbers betraying the remaining Starks.

The Sand Snakes (led by Obara of course) wiping out the Martell family/ Areo Hotah in a similar fashion and taking over Dorne. 

Just to clarify I'm only asking about things that don't seem like they would be a book spoiler but really are.  

If I understood you correctly, things happening in the show will or may happen in the books later on but in different ways?

It's been my opinion since being on this forum that GRR basically gave the show the "end results" to his story and then told them to fill in the gaps up to that point for the show.

Does this sound right?

Basically, he tells the show writers "Dany ends up with Tyrion and Varys and they ally with the Krakens and Dorne and Ollena..... Cersei blows up her enemies...... Jon becomes king in the north after being resurrected....... Bran sees ToJ in a vision......" blah blah and then the show uses the ends and constricts it into the time-frame they've set for the show.

I believe they knew this back when Dorne was EVER first introduced (after Oberyn) because right from the start, they really chopped Dorne down into nothingness.  To me, that says there was a GENERAL ending relayed to them, then they took what they had and shoe-horned it into the remaining episodes.  It makes me sad because there are book threads I would love to have seen on-screen.

My main two are the expansion of Dorne and the Iron Islands.  Those were two places GRR was really getting into with brand new POV characters and histories.  So much time wasted in King's Landing when nothing REAL was going on there.  Westeros was fixated on KL and many characters were brought/held there.  By the time the real stories of KL had burned out, that's when the show was saying "ok we've got to wrap it up so let's create entire storylines that don't exist in order to facilitate our established characters". 

That's the main reason the actor who plays Elaria was not usurped in Dorne by Arianne (Prince Doran's princess daughter) and she was never even introduced.  Hotar barely made it into one chapter of his POV character on-screen before it went off the rails and he and Doran die in the unlikely coup.  so you can tell even exactly WHEN the show knew it was planning on ending.  The overkill, btw, of Dorne and snakes is embarrassing.  The Spear Tower in the opening credits with that serpent coiled up with a fanged snake on top.  At least they did Oberyn justice.  Maybe I should just be lucky we got what we did.

Anyone else feel like they are just hanging on at this point...... waiting for the show to end just to SEE how it ends?  Yeah I'm still somewhat interested but the level of interest is way down from in the past :blush:

Definitely the show spoils books at some point, is it really a big deal? We won't know what plot lines were "spoiled " before the WoW comes out. Why people are so afraid of spoilers both in the books and in the show? Even if you learn somehow that this or that character dies or smb loses or wins, you would experience it differently when you read or watch it by yourself anyway.

Archived