[POTENTIAL SPOILERS] … mother of dragons, daughter of death…

IceSyckel

I've stalked these forums and Reddit for some time, but I just noticed something I've yet to read anywhere.  I noticed both while re-reading ACOK and researching theories afterward, that at the House of Undying they call Dany  "… mother of dragons, daughter of death… "

Many on a Reddit post here have speculated as to what this means.  Of course, the "mother of dragons" bit is hardly mysterious.

I just realized, though, that the "daughter of death" part could be signaling something: mothers who died in childbirth...  We know Dany's mum died birthing her.

Also, I can think of two other characters who meet this criterion:

1. Joanna died birthing Tyrion; AND
  2. I believe that Lyanna died birthing Jon, though I realize this is not yet proven.

Possibly this supports them being the 3 heads of the dragon (a prophesy discussed also in the House of Undying scene)?

If someone else has noticed and posted this, then I do apologize for re-posting.  It just blew my mind when I noticed this.

Daenerys is the daughter of House Targaryen.

"Three?" She did not understand.

. . . three heads has the dragon . . . the ghost chorus yammered inside her skull with never a lip moving, never a breath stirring the still blue air. . . . mother of dragons . . . child of storm . . . The whispers became a swirling song. . . . three fires must you light . . . one for life and one for death and one to love . . . Her own heart was beating in unison to the one that floated before her, blue and corrupt . . . three mounts must you ride . . . one to bed and one to dread and one to love . . . The voices were growing louder, she realized, and it seemed her heart was slowing, and even her breath. . . . three treasons will you know . . . once for blood and once for gold and once for love . . .

So, three fires, three mounts, and three treasons, the last of each for love. That's nine fires, mounts, and treasons.

"I don't . . ." Her voice was no more than a whisper, almost as faint as theirs. What was happening to her? "I don't understand," she said, more loudly. Why was it so hard to talk here? "Help me. Show me."

. . . help her . . . the whispers mocked. . . . show her . . .

Then phantoms shivered through the murk, images in indigo. Viserys screamed as the molten gold ran down his cheeks and filled his mouth. A tall lord with copper skin and silver-gold hair stood beneath the banner of a fiery stallion, a burning city behind him.Rubies flew like drops of blood from the chest of a dying prince, and he sank to his knees in the water and with his last breath murmured a womans name. . . . mother of dragons, daughter of death . . . Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand ofa blue-eyed king who cast no shadow. A cloth dragon swayed on poles amidst a cheering crowd. From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire. . . . mother of dragons, slayer of lies . . . Her silver was trotting through the grass, to a darkling stream beneath a sea of stars. A corpse stood at the prow of a ship,eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly. A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness. . . . mother of dragons, bride of fire . . .

So, after Daenerys asks for help to understand these nine fires, mounts, and treasons, she sees nine more visions grouped into three sets of three. It seems likely that the nine fires, mounts, and treasons relate to the nine visions that follow her plea for help in understanding.

As to the mother of dragons, daughter of death . . . mother of dragons, slayer of lies . . . and mother of dragons, bride of fire . . . sequence, recall when Daenerys walked into the pyre, between the hatching of the second and third eggs, as she heard Jorah calling to her...

No, she wanted to shout to him, no, my good knight, do not fear for me. The fire is mine. I am Daenerys Stormborn, daughter of dragons, bride of dragons, mother of dragons, dont you see? Dont you SEE? With a belch of flame and smoke that reached thirty feet into the sky, the pyre collapsed and came down around her. Unafraid, Dany stepped forward into the firestorm, calling to her children.

Daenerys X, Game

The only thing missing from the pyre scene is slayer of lies. But that seems understandable, no? We generally understand slayer of lies to mean eater of red herring, dont we? Ironically, Daenerys herself is the biggest red herring in the tale, since the prince who was promised is Jon Snow, son of Rhaegar and Lyanna.

People take what the Undying showed to Dany as prophecy so often, but these people were trying to capture/absorb her and they fed her a concoction that promotes 'visions' (ie: hallucinations), it's not like they were actually trying to Help her.

So if they could actually hand out prophecies on demand (which i don't buy), why would they? And why would Dany put so much faith in something a Known enemy said was truth, just cause they showed it to her?

16 minutes ago, Arya_Stupid! said:

People take what the Undying showed to Dany as prophecy so often, but these people were trying to capture/absorb her and they fed her a concoction that promotes 'visions' (ie: hallucinations), it's not like they were actually trying to Help her.

So if they could actually hand out prophecies on demand (which i don't buy), why would they? And why would Dany put so much faith in something a Known enemy said was truth, just cause they showed it to her?

The visions were written by the George for the reader. 

Lol. Obviously LostMelbonian.

26 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

The visions were written by the George for the reader. 

But it doesn't necessarily follow that Because GRRM wrote it, it's true. And it also doesn't explain why Dany would believe in 'prophecy' handed to her by people who are actively trying to harm her.

i understand why we the reader are curious about it, but it still comes from a pretty dubious source to be believing that the info will really help and not harm in some way. All my personal opinion, of course.

2 hours ago, Arya_Stupid! said:

Lol. Obviously LostMelbonian.

But it doesn't necessarily follow that Because GRRM wrote it, it's true. And it also doesn't explain why Dany would believe in 'prophecy' handed to her by people who are actively trying to harm her.

i understand why we the reader are curious about it, but it still comes from a pretty dubious source to be believing that the info will really help and not harm in some way. All my personal opinion, of course.

What Daenerys saw, when she saw it, and who showed it to her is an important level of analysis, but I think why The George wrote is a higher level. We've seen with other foreshadowings that there are kernels of truth with a twist. 

2 hours ago, Arya_Stupid! said:

i understand why we the reader are curious about it, but it still comes from a pretty dubious source to be believing that the info will really help and not harm in some way. All my personal opinion, of course

I think that the wizards are trying to keep Dany in the HotU, so they can drain her magical energy.  They choose to accomplish this by revealing prophecy to her and hoping she gets so lost in the interpretation of it that she doesn't notice what they're doing.  In other words they don't intend for her to ever leave, so it doesn't matter if the truths they reveal are true or not and since true prophesy has a much better chance of ringing true for Dany it actually works better for them than false prophesy.  This way GRRM gets to square the circle, so to speak, of having true prophesy delivered by a known antagonist.

11 minutes ago, Duncan_The_Short said:

I think that the wizards are trying to keep Dany in the HotU, so they can drain her magical energy.  They choose to accomplish this by revealing prophecy to her and hoping she gets so lost in the interpretation of it that she doesn't notice what they're doing.  In other words they don't intend for her to ever leave, so it doesn't matter if the truths they reveal are true or not and since true prophesy has a much better chance of ringing true for Dany it actually works better for them than false prophesy.  This way GRRM gets to square the circle, so to speak, of having true prophesy delivered by a known antagonist.

Yes this. And it worked too! Dany wasn't able to move anymore when she realised what was happening. The only miscalculation was that they hadn't realised that dragons breathe fire.

Did y'all notice which vision trapped her? 

The last six visions before the final one to which she succumbs represent: 1) Trying to save Drogo upon whom she was nearly totally dependent; 2) her longing for the sheltered days of her early childhood; 3) her dragons hatching; 4) the punishment exacted on the man sent by the usurper to kill her and her unborn son, the action that convinced Drogo to begin preparations for an invasion of the Seven Kingdoms; 5) a prized beast presumably being stalked by Dothraki; and 6) the wise women of the Dothraki paying her homage.

The first two of these six show her dependent on others. The second two show her dragons hatching and her acting the way the blood of dragon would be expected to act. The third two show what appears to be happening at the end of Dance, where Jhaqo finds her in the Dothraki Sea, and, perhaps, what will happen in Winds, when Daenerys, the mother of dragons, and Drogon unite the khalasars to mount the world.

And then she succumbs to one last vision...

Ten thousand slaves lifted bloodstained hands as she raced by on her silver, riding like the wind. Mother! they cried. Mother, mother! They were reaching for her, touchingher, tugging at her cloak, the hem of her skirt, her foot, her leg, her breast. They wanted her, needed her, the fire, the life, and Dany gasped and opened her arms to give herself to them . . .

...before Drogon comes to her rescue... just like what happens in Meereen...

Its very Simple if you ask me 

Mother of dragons ...daughter of death..

We get three visions in respect to this ..

Rhaegar dying

Rhaego dying 

Viserys dying..

These three deaths have played huge role in dany's character growth and development..

And as it happens rhaego was considered as tSWMTW and rhaegar as TPTwp and last dragon and viserys as AAr ( since stannis saw viserys dying and mistook that as himself ) ...

Now dany as daughter of death becomes what this characters are meant to be and where they failed she will succeed

Archived