Vox article explains why cruising in the passing lane is dangerous

Ser Scot A Ellison

22 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

I usually stay in the outside lane and blast people out of the way, if I want to get past them and they don't have the common sense to move over, if that doesn't work then I forcechoke.

if I'm on my bike I just automatically forcechoke, it saves having to slow down and you're past them so quickly it's a non issue.

Yeeeessss….

On 8/27/2016 at 7:34 AM, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

In theory it should be absolutely fine to stay in the overtaking lane, as long as you're always doing the speed limit and nobody drives faster than that. Obviously it doesn't work like that in reality, so don't do it.

Even ignoring speeding/passing there are decent reasons to keep the outside lane relatively clear.

1) In the event construction removes a lane, less traffic congestion as everyone has a place to go (those that might be in the passing lane would still have to zipper in, but theoretically there are less of them).

2) If people entering the highway need to merge, it becomes easier for people to move over to let them in (which makes merging safer and easier).

3) In the event of an accident occurring in front of you, you have a better chance of avoiding becoming another part of the accident if you have more room to maneuver.

4) In the event of an emergency, it gives emergency vehicles a clearer path to get where they need to be. If an ambulance needs to get to a scene or people are waiting for a fire department to use the jaws of life, time can matter.

Obviously in heavy traffic it's not always possible, but in light or moderate traffic it's the ideal.

Archived