USA Rail Pass: Training around the US

Lily Valley

2 hours ago, beniowa said:

Lily, I plan to be visiting NYC myself in June or July.  If you make it there at the same time, I'll buy you a book at The Strand

23 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

Larry, my Gran is in New England, and I've never ever been to NYC.  I'll definitely be in that area.  Looks like late June / early July.  Possibly early June.  I'd love to go upstate for a reason.  My pals went to college up there and I hear it's breathtaking.  I also hear it's close to parts of Canadia.

Yay!  Come visit me!  We will play!  There will be books!  There will be beer!  There will be shenanigans! :)

On 9/17/2016 at 3:39 PM, Kelli Fury said:

You live in the crust punk capital of the world, just bribe one with beer and prepaid phone cards to take you train hopping

Ha, my train hopping days are long over, ma'am. I prefer a seat and some coffee.  The trainyard is only a few blocks from my place.

3 hours ago, beniowa said:

I'll let you know when.  :) 

I'd love to co-ordinate Ben!  

21 hours ago, BLU-RAY said:

This is next summer, right, not some Board Timestamp thing making me trip balls?

Yes!  Next summer.  I'd like to see as many of you crazy kids as I can.  

Lobster!  Talk to the Mrs so we can continue our national beer hunts!

On 18/09/2016 at 3:01 AM, BLU-RAY said:

This is next summer, right, not some Board Timestamp thing making me trip balls?

I was baffled by this too. How is summer starting in September? :wacko:

This is very organised of you to plan so far ahead. I did Portland to Seattle this time last year. It was pleasant enough. Think it took about three hours. I've also done the Down-Easter (or some of it) - Portland - Boston - NYC. That was pretty cool.

4 hours ago, Isis said:

I was baffled by this too. How is summer starting in September? :wacko:

This is very organised of you to plan so far ahead. I did Portland to Seattle this time last year. It was pleasant enough. Think it took about three hours. I've also done the Down-Easter (or some of it) - Portland - Boston - NYC. That was pretty cool.

My inspiration came from going back to work after summer break.  I was unable to travel at all this summer for a variety of reasons.  If I can't GO on vacation, I can THINK about going on vacation.  30-45 days is going to take a lot of planning.

On 9/17/2016 at 6:37 PM, Whitestripe said:

I'm in upstate NY also and have frequently done the Syracuse-NYC route. It's pretty and follows the Hudson River

On 9/17/2016 at 7:51 PM, Whitestripe said:

Larry: I'm often in Albany for work. I'll look you up next time since it's close.

Sweet, please do- I'm about a half hour south of Albany, but up around there and Troy often for work myself.

Ok, tentatively decided to take the Crescent up from New Orleans and stop in Huntsville, Atlanta, Charlotte, DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia then New York.  I should be in New England around the second week of July.

I have "Fool Around New England" on my schedule until the third week of July.

Then Detroit.  I may fly to Minneapolis and skip Chicago.  From Minneapolis, the Empire Builder to Spokane and then Seattle.  South from there to Portland.

I may reverse this depending on schedules.  

Our faculty Senate, because they are all liberal arts majors, moved our school year from mid-August back to  August 7th or 8th.  By doing so, they effectively gave us a paycut.   This is moving up the chain as we speak and I expect we will get our currently unpaid 2 weeks of summer back.

Also, my students are competing for a place on a high altitude balloon to study the solar eclipse on the 17th.  This whole trip will be shifted if we win.   I won't know until May.

Archived