Jon is the trueborn son of Ned and Ashara

The Twinslayer

I remember reading AGoT when I was younger and thinking from the beginning that Ashara was one big red herring for Jon's mother, not least because it is (I think) the first suggestion thrown up yet no indication that Jon had a clue who his mother was. To this day, I'm uncertain what the big deal about Ashara is supposed to be other than she was "the maid with the laughing purple eyes" who may or may not have been Ned's first love.

The fact that his personality trait according to the cutesy-version Meera told Bran was "shy" makes me doubt that Ned got up to any hanky-panky with Ashara then, and I'm unsure whether their circumstances would have placed them in the same place for long enough to get married and conceive Jon at a point that would match up with his age.

While I understand the appeal of R+L/=J theories, they always seem to be messer due to us having a better handle on Ned's whereabouts during Robert's Rebellion than Lyanna's.

9 hours ago, maudisdottir said:

What GRRM really means is "I fucked up but I'm blaming Barristan's faulty memory". Which is why I'm sceptical about theories that rely on "unreliable narrator" when the reality is in some cases it's more like unreliable author.

I seriously doubt Martin will retcon that. Either way, main point is simply that the Tourney of Harrenhal was at the end of the year. No unreliable narrator theories needed to figure that out.  TWOIAF makes it pretty clear, but just some extra quotes for those that still like to argue that the Tourney was early in 281ac to fit their reaching theories.

1 hour ago, Faera said:

I remember reading AGoT when I was younger and thinking from the beginning that Ashara was one big red herring for Jon's mother, not least because it is (I think) the first suggestion thrown up yet no indication that Jon had a clue who his mother was. To this day, I'm uncertain what the big deal about Ashara is supposed to be other than she was "the maid with the laughing purple eyes" who may or may not have been Ned's first love.

The fact that his personality trait according to the cutesy-version Meera told Bran was "shy" makes me doubt that Ned got up to any hanky-panky with Ashara then, and I'm unsure whether their circumstances would have placed them in the same place for long enough to get married and conceive Jon at a point that would match up with his age.

While I understand the appeal of R+L/=J theories, they always seem to be messer due to us having a better handle on Ned's whereabouts during Robert's Rebellion than Lyanna's.

Well under my thread Jon and Dany, i point out alot of clues about Ashara Dayne. Some worked together from different ideas.

Pretty much, the Dayne Heir(ess) is Daenerys. Not Jon. Im still working on my thread though so it's not complete. Theres alottt of info to include.

Under the idea, she was either the paramour of Rhaegar or the victim of Aerys. Up to the reader to decide that. I just try to compile all known facts.

Archived