Need help with name pronunciations please

Emie

2 hours ago, maudisdottir said:

I'm sure if he had called him Wethair people would be pronouncing it "wee-thare".

It's always been Damp Hair for me, although I used to amuse myself by occasionally pronouncing it "domfair" because it sounds all posh and French and totally out of place with those Ironborn scum.

Plus it's a nickname/honorific (I think there's a specific word for it, but I can't quite recall it right now) like "Stormborn".  Stuff like that only makes sense if it has a clear meaning. Since Martin did not develop an Ironborn language, so any nicknames/honorifics would have to be in Westerosi/English.

On 2/11/2017 at 0:22 PM, Emie said:

Thanks guys I appreciate it. I just thought of another one. 

Kevan: "Kevin" or "Keevan"? (I've heard it pronounced as the second one before) 

Just plain Kevin.

On 2/13/2017 at 5:24 AM, Vaedys Targaryen said:

Agree with this one and I actually pronounce the names and words the same way, with exception to Rhaelle and Rhaella (Rye-lle and Rye-llah respectively)

And I personally think that most Targaryen, or rather Valyrian, names with c's in them are pronounced with strong k's (would explain why Lucerys' nickname was "Luke" and Jacaerys' was "Jake").

I'm a little bit torn on Daenerys though. Viserys' nickname to her was Dany and Khal Drogo called her Dan Erys (or something like that).

Jacaerys Velaryon's nickname was Jace, not Jake.  I don't know about other characters named Jacaerys though. No clue how Jace is supposed to be pronounced, but I figured it was with a soft "c." 

On 13/2/2017 at 5:14 PM, Isobel Harper said:

Church Latin pronounces "ae" like ay.  But true Latin  (early ADs, BC era) pronounced it "eye."

On 13/2/2017 at 9:10 PM, Orphalesion said:
On 13/2/2017 at 5:14 PM, Isobel Harper said:

Church Latin pronounces "ae" like ay.  But true Latin  (early ADs, BC era) pronounced it "eye."

^This

ay? make an example ... 

13 minutes ago, Cridefea said:

ay? make an example ... 

Caesar = kye sar.  Very similar to the German word Kaiser. 

ETA : Oops, wrong example. 

In this song, "gratiae" is pronounced "grah tee yay."  "Virgine" is pronounced "veer jee neh."

Julius Caesar (for example) would have pronounced "gratiae" like "grah tee y-eye" and "virgine" like "veer ghee neh."

23 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

Caesar = kye sar.  Very similar to the German word Kaiser. 

ETA : Oops, wrong example. 

In this song, "gratiae" is pronounced "grah tee yay."  "Virgine" is pronounced "veer jee neh."

Julius Caesar (for example) would have pronounced "gratiae" like "grah tee y-eye" and "virgine" like "veer ghee neh."

In ecclesiastic latin Ae is e like in met. It is a vowel. I can't find a video right now, maybe later.

5 hours ago, Cridefea said:

ay? make an example ... 

Caesar. Pronounced Kaisar, as evidenced by his son with Cleopatra: Πτολεμαῖος Καῖσαρ/Ptolemaios Kaisar, named after his father. The Greeks had a different way of writing the e as in met sound and would have used it in this case if it wasn't pronounced Kaisar.  

2 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Caesar. Pronounced Kaisar, as evidenced by his son with Cleopatra: Πτολεμαῖος Καῖσαρ/Ptolemaios Kaisar, named after his father. The Greeks had a different way of writing the e as in met sound and would have used it in this case if it wasn't pronounced Kaisar.  

I was talking about church latin ae is e in mEt .... not ay. 

8 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

gratiae in the song should be e like in met, it is the singer's english accent that make it sounds like ay. Here same song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCuHuIQRd3M at 0.20 gratiae and laetitiae. "e" is difficult for those who don't speak italian/french/spanish etc. Like "th" for us. When I was in primary school my teacher used the bubble gum for helping us to pronounce it. any good results, at all. :rolleyes:

Anyway @Lady Blizzardborn, I think GRRM could have mixed up old middle-english and latin, indeed.

4 hours ago, Cridefea said:

I was talking about church latin ae is e in mEt .... not ay.

Anyway @Lady Blizzardborn, I think GRRM could have mixed up old middle-english and latin, indeed.

Sorry I misunderstood you I thought you were contesting the "eye" sound in Classical Latin.

I think with church Latin it depends on which part of Europe you are talking about, since one of the reasons the ae sound developed from "eye" into ay or e was due to local pronunciations and accents. 

I'd wager a German priest might pronounce "e" in met while an English accent would make it sound more like ay, as you wrote.

Archived