Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

watcher of the night

Westeros has shrank

Recommended Posts

Westeros has shrank to three locations: Dragonstone, King's Landing and Winterfell. There are possibly no human beings outside of these locations, if there are, they are totally unimportant. Other locations are briefly shown when our heroes visit them, but even then we only see generic indoors sets. Jamie besieged Highgarden (the iconic seat of power of house Tyrell), what do we see? Part of a tower, a quick glimpse of street that could be anywhere and Olena's room. Jon visits Eastwatch by the sea (an equally iconic garison of the NW), what do we see? A table and a dark dungeon room that can be anywhere.
Long gone the days when people travelling from A to B had to traverse the countryside. There is zero effort to recreate the feeling, culture, vibe of any given location. Do we a see a vibrant Highgarden, one of the places untouched by the war? Do we see some desperate nightwatchmen asking for any kind fo help? Nope, nope. We see Jamie, Olena, Jon, Tormund, Davos, the same faces over and over again.  
An immersive, realistic fantasy setting is reduced to a sitcom where we have talking faces in the same room. Of course, there is outer world -or there should be- we all know it is there, we might even catch a glimpse of it, but the drama unfolds while our heroes are sitting on the same couch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, watcher of the night said:

Westeros has shrank to three locations: Dragonstone, King's Landing and Winterfell. There are possibly no human beings outside of these locations, if there are, they are totally unimportant. Other locations are briefly shown when our heroes visit them, but even then we only see generic indoors sets. Jamie besieged Highgarden (the iconic seat of power of house Tyrell), what do we see? Part of a tower, a quick glimpse of street that could be anywhere and Olena's room. Jon visits Eastwatch by the sea (an equally iconic garison of the NW), what do we see? A table and a dark dungeon room that can be anywhere.
Long gone the days when people travelling from A to B had to traverse the countryside. There is zero effort to recreate the feeling, culture, vibe of any given location. Do we a see a vibrant Highgarden, one of the places untouched by the war? Do we see some desperate nightwatchmen asking for any kind fo help? Nope, nope. We see Jamie, Olena, Jon, Tormund, Davos, the same faces over and over again.  
An immersive, realistic fantasy setting is reduced to a sitcom where we have talking faces in the same room. Of course, there is outer world -or there should be- we all know it is there, we might even catch a glimpse of it, but the drama unfolds while our heroes are sitting on the same couch.

Why do you want to see highgarden? Why do you want to see people travelling from A to B if all they are  doing is riding?? 

Im not sure where you are going with this.... we are seeing what we need to see now. We dont need and personally I dont want to see Jon on a horse travelling to the Wall etc. There is limited time and now only the big plots are being followed. Its a simple as that there is no time to see anything else. 

Why would they introduce more characters this late on just to stop it ''being a sitcom'' 

We have seen the outerworld but plot lines are being thinned out for obvious reasons to make way for the main plotline, the WW. We dont need unnecessary characters/plotlines/places. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Why do you want to see highgarden? Why do you want to see people travelling from A to B if all they are  doing is riding?? 

Im not sure where you are going with this.... we are seeing what we need to see now. We dont need and personally I dont want to see Jon on a horse travelling to the Wall etc. There is limited time and now only the big plots are being followed. Its a simple as that there is no time to see anything else. 

Why would they introduce more characters this late on just to stop it ''being a sitcom'' 

We have seen the outerworld but plot lines are being thinned out for obvious reasons to make way for the main plotline, the WW. We dont need unnecessary characters/plotlines/places. 

I agree 100%.  If one wants to know what Dany breaks her fast on then one can read the books.  Apollo Creed makes it to the arena in Rocky but we never see if it was in a limo, a van, or an ox cart because it just doesn't matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People are going to jump down your throat with a range of inane examples, but I, for one, agree with you - the show is speeding things up to the point where it's painfully obvious that they're not even trying to make sense as far as travelling goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The book chapters where Brienne was travelling through a war ravaged land (which happen to be amongst my favorite) were not well received by readers. I'm guessing that's why the show chooses to eschew showing characters travel, because most viewers wouldn't find it interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

The book chapters where Brienne was travelling through a war ravaged land (which happen to be amongst my favorite) were not well received by readers. I'm guessing that's why the show chooses to eschew showing characters travel, because most viewers wouldn't find it interesting.

In those chapters that you and I both enjoyed there was the physical journey and a metaphorical journey too.  If it is only moving from A to B on the map then I understand better why it is not making it to the show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Col Cinders said:

In those chapters that you and I both enjoyed there was the physical journey and a metaphorical journey too.  If it is only moving from A to B on the map then I understand better why it is not making it to the show. 

Exactly! Brienne's chapters were about than just her wandering around in the Riverlands. They were about showing the destruction that war brings to lives of common people and Brienne trying to make peace with her past and at the same time develop new relationships for the future (Jaime?). But even then most readers found them boring so I don't see any such material making it to the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, watcher of the night said:

Westeros has shrank to three locations: Dragonstone, King's Landing and Winterfell.

Even Dragonstone and Kings Landing are just a hollow shell, a shadow of what they have tried to create in the previous seasons. Winterfell is still alive a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greywater-Watch said:

Even Dragonstone and Kings Landing are just a hollow shell, a shadow of what they have tried to create in the previous seasons.

The same could be said about the costumes… creativity in this area has disappeared…

Spoiler

Dany wears her polar, "beyond the Wall" outfit in tonight's episode, but I was expecting something a bit more… spectacular

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×