Crazy Ex-Girlfriend S4 - We Want to Be Here [spoilers]

HexMachina

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Trent is hilarious every time he appears slightly more.

Wait, no You Ruined Everything, You Stupid Bitch? :o No original West Covina, Califooooorniaaaa? What about Settle For Me?

OMG I Think I Like You is a good pick. Good song. The one that comes closest to being unironical love song about feelings.

And where is We Tapped That Ass? I also cherish Rebecca's Reprise and Patrick highly.

That comes closest to what I would pick, but still ...

This is hard, it has sooo many great songs that narrowing it down to "best of" must necessarily leave out some great stuff.

I mean, I am sure nobody misses Makeover or Having A Few People Over, but still ...

All of those appeared in my lists at one point or another :( West Covina (+first reprise) probably should go in my top 3 for season 1 because it really drew me into the show. *sigh* Stupid Bitch and Rebecca’s Reprise are excellently picks too,

• 3 months later...

If anyone can pull off that it's Bloom and McKenna though 

Few other nuggets of info;

Bloom wrote the premiere and will direct the penultimate episode, and McKenna will direct the finale.

Patton Oswalt (the creepy cemetery guard who took Paula to the aquarium) is going to be in the show again, this time with singing!

Nathaniel and Josh have another number together 

New intro song, seems like Bloom has already got it written. Something along the lines of 70's/80's sitcom track 

1 minute ago, HelenaExMachina said:

If anyone can pull off that it's Bloom and McKenna though 

I was actually thinking that if anybody can pull that off, it would be whoever is responsible for Jane the Virgin, because "it's a telenovela after all", and by saying that, they can pretty much do everything.

I was really reluctant to think that it might be a good idea, and still think it would have been better to keep the original Greg, or have him played by a broom on a stand. But then ... I really love the experimental storytelling devices - that is probably my favourite part of both CXG and Jane the Virgin - and whatever they come up with to rationalise it in the show is probably going to be hilarious, so ...

Still, it is going to be painful hearing the Greg-typical songs played around a new guy, or even having a new guy reprise them instead of the original Greg.

Also, I know it is not a very respectable site, but the reactions to the news are really funny.

Few other nuggets of info;

Bloom wrote the premiere and will direct the penultimate episode, and McKenna will direct the finale.

And McKenna will have a cameo appearance!

Patton Oswalt (the creepy cemetery guard who took Paula to the aquarium) is going to be in the show again, this time with singing!

I had no idea that was some famour actor that everybody is looking forward to see again before I saw some comments about it. I wonder how they are going to get back into contact with that particular character.

Nathaniel and Josh have another number together

This is news to me. I assume you mean White Josh?

New intro song, seems like Bloom has already got it written. Something along the lines of 70's/80's sitcom track 

She described it in an interview, but I thought the whole thing was weird and am still not sure I believe it. I love how surprising this show is.

1 minute ago, Buckwheat said:

I was actually thinking that if anybody can pull that off, it would be whoever is responsible for Jane the Virgin, because "it's a telenovela after all", and by saying that, they can pretty much do everything.

I was really reluctant to think that it might be a good idea, and still think it would have been better to keep the original Greg, or have him played by a broom on a stand. But then ... I really love the experimental storytelling devices - that is probably my favourite part of both CXG and Jane the Virgin - and whatever they come up with to rationalise it in the show is probably going to be hilarious, so ...

Still, it is going to be painful hearing the Greg-typical songs played around a new guy, or even having a new guy reprise them instead of the original Greg.

Also, I know it is not a very respectable site, but the reactions to the news are really funny.

And McKenna will have a cameo appearance!

I had no idea that was some famour actor that everybody is looking forward to see again before I saw some comments about it. I wonder how they are going to get back into contact with that particular character.

This is news to me. I assume you mean White Josh?

She described it in an interview, but I thought the whole thing was weird and am still not sure I believe it. I love how surprising this show is.

No I meant Josh Chan, it surprised me too! 

Patton Oswalt is going to be part of an ensemble number (which there are apparently going to be more of this season) and is only a guest actor so I guess it's probably just a small role again. He may not even be the security guard again for all we know.

I'll miss Santino Fontana :( but I'm going to keep an open mind about this new guy. Unlike you, wondering who's the new guy, can you trust him, what's his purpose going to be?

;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is hilariously given the running Lin Manuel Miranda tweet joke in the episode

https://mobile.twitter.com/Lin_Manuel/status/1050715306182742016

(not sure how to embed?)

i liked the episode, a bit slow and definitely not my favourite songs but I did enjoy the wink wink nod nod style of them, especially Nobody is Singing my Song (in 11 part harmony!). I appreciated them narratively more than musically I think would be an apt description.

Loved the Aline Brown McKenna cameo :D and so nice to see Brittney Young back for a guest appearance (she is now Carmen on GLOW. Previously worked on Crazy Ex and appears as Nicki in season 1. It’s short for Samantha :P ). 

We will get the theme song next week

This was so funny. Definitely the funniest show I have ever seen for my type of humour.

I agree that the songs were more relevant narratively than musically - the first one was barely a song, as the participants were even less eager to play along than Heather in The Moment Is Me.

Aline Brosh McKenna cameo was funny! And Grocery Clerk With Half An Eyelid! And the woman at Home Base who I decide is Deb who drinks vodka and cranberry juice in one of Greg's songs. And George. Everything involving George was hilarious.

Also I hope this means the throwaway jokes as last scenes are back. "I actually went to school in Boston."

I missed White Josh a bit, and I hoped we would hear no more about Rebecca/Nathaniel romantic sentiments (please let them get over each other), but those are minor things that slightly disappointed me - the episode as a whole was amazing like this show usually is.

Yes where is White Josh???

Overall a bit hit-and-miss though. Something about the show took a weird turn for me after peaking with Rebecca's suicide attempt early in season 3 (up to then, I adored it, identified with it painfully, thought it was hysterical and had the songs on repeat in the background pretty much always). No episode since has been quite as strong as the average of the first 2.3 (or thereabouts) seasons, to my mind, from the writing to the jokes to the songs (which is not to say there weren't some outstanding individual moments), but above all to a kind of overall narrative persuasiveness.

This episode (unfortunately) continues to feel like its just not really managing to gel - the riffs on privilege felt hamfisted and a lot less sharp than the show has been on both taking on social issues and puncturing preening liberal taking on of social issues. The get-together-break-up with Nathaniel felt forced in terms of writing and silly from both of them in ways that didn't ring true to the characters (unlike other dramatic relationship stuff, like the big crescendo with Greg or the everything with Josh). The balance between Rebecca-stuff and everyone-else-stuff was off. The songs were oddly cringey and only partially in the good way, and you know me - I hate how much I love a good cringe.

It makes me wonder if in some dark place, there's a kind of deep logic to Rebecca's story ending with her suicide attempt, even if it were to be unsuccessful.

Still with this to the bitter end, of course.

Wow, somebody else but Helena and I posting in this thread! I am glad, otherwise I would have thought this show as a whole was our imaginary song and dance!

I agree that the second half of season 3 was not as good as the previous episodes, but I thought the first episode of season 4 was better than the second half of season 3. Maybe this is just how much I was looking forward to the season starting, so now I am willing to overlook more than directly after the amazing first half of season 3.

Also agree than the Nathaniel-Rebecca romantic subplot has to end ASAP. Nathaniel is funnier when interacting with other characters, and Rebecca declaring her love to him just makes no sense at this point.

Changing my avatar for the occasion.

That song was just weird. :eek:

I so did not expect the murder house running joke would actually mean something for the story at some point.

I still don't like snails.

Also seriously, who throws their tampons in the toilet? :angry:

What. Did. I. Just. Watch. Why am I still watching this? 

The one redeeming quality of this episode was the baby in the koala costume. And josh, who is basically like Karen from mean girls at this point. 

Daryl.. I can’t even. The Nathaniel storyline is the exact same it has always been, they clearly can’t do anything with this character other than the same daddy and ego issues over and over again.Heather and Valencia are solid in the role they have, but I find tolerating paula almost as difficult as tolerating Daryl. Rebecca and her shame story. I get the message and all, but Rebecca has been in this place before and once again we’re just playing the same old cycles again. 

The halloween song... I really don’t know how I feel about it. Well, it was weird and it’s a good thing this is the final season because they are struggling to grasp for a storyline. 

And absolutely nobody with a single drop of common sense and life experience [flushes their tampons].  

2 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

What. Did. I. Just. Watch. Why am I still watching this? 

Obviously so that you have something to talk about with us. :D

No seriously, I love that you do and you still comment. :thumbsup:

Daryl.. I can’t even. The Nathaniel storyline is the exact same it has always been, they clearly can’t do anything with this character other than the same daddy and ego issues over and over again.Heather and Valencia are solid in the role they have, but I find tolerating paula almost as difficult as tolerating Daryl. Rebecca and her shame story. I get the message and all, but Rebecca has been in this place before and once again we’re just playing the same old cycles again.

The halloween song... I really don’t know how I feel about it. Well, it was weird and it’s a good thing this is the final season because they are struggling to grasp for a storyline. 

Yeah ... what bothered me the most about this episode was that it was disjointed. The three storylines - Rebecca, Nathaniel, and Darryl - had no connection between each other, not even a common theme to connect them all.

Also, Darryl did not change his mind about naming the daughter Heabecca. Yikes. I am sure this is something he will be dancing the Cringe a lot about in his future.

And absolutely nobody with a single drop of common sense and life experience [flushes their tampons].  

And definitely not a good person!

13 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Obviously so that you have something to talk about with us. :D

No seriously, I love that you do and you still comment. :thumbsup:

Yeah ... what bothered me the most about this episode was that it was disjointed. The three storylines - Rebecca, Nathaniel, and Darryl - had no connection between each other, not even a common theme to connect them all.

Also, Darryl did not change his mind about naming the daughter Heabecca. Yikes. I am sure this is something he will be dancing the Cringe a lot about in his future.

And definitely not a good person!

I could potentially be okay with that,I just wish they were about something new or original at least. Daryl being over the top of Mount Everest is not new or interesting or funny or even remotely realistic for that matter. Daryl worked as a lawyer for god’s Sake someone who’s worked as a lawyer for decades MUST have common sense and basic intelligence. Daryl is being reduced to a josh level.  Nathaniel is just boring and Rebecca’s story is nothing but repetitive at this point. 

I sadly have to agree...that felt forced and weird (and White Josh was the best part. Of course he hates Halloween) though the can't-leave-the-house song at least hinted at the former glories, thought even there something about the production and levels and balance of parody, insight and inappropriateness was way off.

It was nowhere near as filthy and smart as We Tapped That Ass, OMG I Think I Like You, We Should Definitely Not Be Having Sex, or even Strip It All Away - and that's just in the self-flagellation with sexual elements category of CXG songs. This could also be in the self-flagellation with no insight category, where its way worse than Stupid Bitch, Greg's Piano Man Song, Josh's Thought Bubble song, Nathaniel's Zoo Song...Damn, this was such a good show.

ETA - The Cringe song was ok, but like nothing spectacular.

Archived