A few difficult questions about Summerhall.....

purple-eyes

6 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Could that be why Maekar had his own coat of arms? So he could pass it down to his heir along with Summerhall? Would all the Princes of Summerhall have kept the four three-headed dragons as their heraldry/coat of arms I wonder? If in fact it became the permanent castle to a branch of House Targaryen. 

Daeron II's sons apparently all had their personal coat of arms, a variation of the Targaryen banner. That is not uncommon at all. Earlier both Aegon II and Rhaenyra had their personal arms, too, and presumably many other members of House Targaryen.

Maekar had four three-headed dragons, Aerys I two, Aerion Brightflame had brightly colored fire on his banner, Aegon II a golden dragon, Rhaenyra a quartered banner, including the Velaryon sea horse and the Arryn moon-and-falcon, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
On 01.12.2017 at 7:00 AM, Lord Varys said:

We know Maekar was the Prince of Summerhall since his father gave the castle to him. When he became Prince of Dragonstone (after Aerys I named Maekar his Heir Apparent, in the wake of Prince Aelor's death) Daeron the Drunk became Prince of Summerhall (evident in the fact that Daeron wanted to be called 'Prince of Summerhall' even after he had been made Prince of Dragonstone when his father became king). As Maekar's eldest son, Daeron was already the heir of Summerhall in THK. That also established that Daeron II actually intended to make Summerhall a hereditary lordship (or princedom) for Maekar.

Maekar would also have named one of his sons the new Prince of Summerhall. Could have been Aerion, could have been Egg. Considering that Egg already had a wife and eventually a family during the reign of his father chances are that Maekar may have given Egg a place to settle down. Especially if Egg ended up becoming Maekar's favorite son - not sure if that ever happened, though.

In any case, presumably Aerion would have succeeded Daeron as Prince of Dragonstone considering that Daeron predeceased Aerion. Thus Aerion would have been Prince of Dragonstone when he died in 232 AC, allowing Maegor to give Summerhall to somebody else - presumably Egg, at that point.

Summerhall could serve as a place for a younger Targ son. Daeron died years before the tragedy, so it was not him. 

Exactly.

Is it possible that Aegon gave Summerhall to Duncan and Jenny since he lost Dragonstone?

I'd assume Aegon V made Duncan Prince of Dragonstone when he took the throne, giving Summerhall to Jaehaerys or keeping it for himself as a summer residence for the entire family (they were still rather young at that point). Egg may have planned to give Summerhall eventually to Jaehaerys and Celia Tully but when Duncan had to abdicate in the wake of the Jenny crisis (and then Jaehaerys and Shaera married each other, too), resulting in Jaehaerys becoming the new Prince of Dragonstone. If Duncan and Jenny ended up having children of their own - which I think they might have had (and even should have had) then Summerhall would have been the place where they settled down. In that sense, I'm reasonably confident that Duncan Targaryen could have died as Prince of Summerhall.

Then Duncan Targaryen was 6th Prince of Summerhall. Weird coincidence.

Archived