Anyone else notice a trend concerning outcast sons?

Varysblackfyre321

Often times it seems the son who should be thought to least show his family's traits supercedes the son that was favored. 

Jamie is favored by Tywin though he rebels- but it is Tyrion whose taken Tywin's lessons to heart and adequately applied them out of all his children. 

Robb is Ned's trueborn  but it's Jon who has the classic Stark features and Ned's demeanor.

Daemon was Roose's trueborn son but exhibited none of the traits that have made the Boltons so popular while Ramsey is Bolton to the core.

Im sorry I don't have much of a point, I just found this interesting 

I'm not so certain Tyrion has really taken Tywin's lessons to heart... there's the whole bit about public whoring and drunkenness.  Aunt Gemma refers to Tyrion as Tywin's son, so I agree to an extent about him more closely matching Tywin, at least in his ambition and political interests.

I believe you mean to be referring to Domeric as I am not sure who Daemon Bolton is but I could be mistaken.  I don't know how well Ramsay matches Roose - he just seems like a twisted creature born of a violent rape.

Viserys has his temper and some disillusions in common with Aerys, but having been named Aerys heir over Rhaegar I fail to see him as outcast.

We don't know enough about Steffon to compare Stannis to him.

Theon is an outcast son and he is nothing like Balon.

I can't say there is a definitive pattern of outcast sons.  If anything, if one subscribes to A+J=T (I do not) then the interesting piece is Jon and Tyrion being bastards who take after their presumptive fathers and who's parents died in childbirth.  If you believe any of the wild theories about Danerys (I do not) she may also be a bastard, who's mother died in childbirth.

16 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

I believe you mean to be referring to Domeric as I am not sure who Daemon Bolton is but I could be mistaken.  I don't know how well Ramsay matches Roose - he just seems like a twisted creature born of a violent rape.

Sorry, you're right on the name. Domeric was reportedly, kind, sweet. When you you think of Bolton would you think anything anywhere close to those words? Ramsey was sinister, brutal and a sadist. He is Bolton. He is the sum of nearly every quality trait people associate with that dreaded house to the extreme. 

Even out of sons Ramsey resembles Roose more than Domeric.

26 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

'm not so certain Tyrion has really taken Tywin's lessons to heart... there's the whole bit about public whoring and drunkenness.  Aunt Gemma refers to Tyrion as Tywin's son, so I agree to an extent about him more closely matching Tywin, at least in his ambition and political interests.

Tyrion took Tywin's lessons on communicating when being a leader or giving orders ect. Not all his lessons stuck but out of his children.

30 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

erys has his temper and some disillusions in common with Aerys, but having been named Aerys heir over Rhaegar I fail to see him as outcast.

Did he? I always got while cruel and arrogant  Viserys was sane, while Aerys was just flat out mad.

Stannis wasn't an outcast son. He's a moody second son.

36 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Theon is an outcast son and he is nothing like Balon.

Meh debatable. Since we don't know what Theon's brothers were really like because they barely get a mention and nothing much on who they are.

Tyrion is more ruthless than he is usually given credit for. He's also very intelligent and fairly politically savvy. I'd say out of Tywin's children he is definitely the most like him, though rarely are children ever copies of their parents.

Regarding Domeric and Ramsay we know very little about Domeric except that he was quiet, loved horses, wanted a brother, and he was a very studious young man. I would say that at least two of those descriptions could be applied to Roose as well. Ramsay has his father's ruthlessness and psychopathy, but he's not quiet and reserved nor does he seem like the type to want to study and learn or diligently do anything except cause harm. So who is the better fitting son? Roose even chides Ramsay for not "acting like a Bolton" because he apparently is not clever enough; IE speaking openly to anyone, even Roose, that Bran and Rickon are alive and weren't killed by Theon Turncloak.

"My ancestors were many things but they were never fools."

Archived