Quentyn Martell is Alive?... Death and POV characters

ScaledBird

@John Suburbs I don’t understand one thing in your argument. If the ‘hot wind’ the beginning of the passage is the same as the ‘furnace wind’, which I agree with and you have stated multiple times in this thread, and you equate both mentions of the wind to dragon fire, why does Gerris repeatedly shout to an already engulfed Quent: Behind you? Why, if that is already dragon fire, is Gerris pointing out the source of the fire to his burning friend. Does it not make more sense that he is pointing out the dragon breathing in/roaring/threatening? 

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:31 PM, Davjos said:

@John Suburbs I don’t understand one thing in your argument. If the ‘hot wind’ the beginning of the passage is the same as the ‘furnace wind’, which I agree with and you have stated multiple times in this thread, and you equate both mentions of the wind to dragon fire, why does Gerris repeatedly shout to an already engulfed Quent: Behind you? Why, if that is already dragon fire, is Gerris pointing out the source of the fire to his burning friend. Does it not make more sense that he is pointing out the dragon breathing in/roaring/threatening? 

What else is he supposed to do? Gerris is panicking; his lord is being torched by a dragon from the rear. He can't very well launch himself into the fire to rescue Quent, so all he can do is alert him to the danger.

If at this point the dragon is not yet breathing fire, then that means at some point between the initial blast of "hot wind" and Quent noticing his whip is on fire, the dragon actually did start breathing fire. It would be utterly impossible for any normal human not to notice this until they actually saw themselves on fire, particularly since the subsequent scene with the body in the Great Pyramid shows that his face and his eyes took the brunt of the damage.

If there's some real basis for the "demons" of Demon Road, we could have witnessed the creation of one with the crisping of Q.   Maybe now his magic blood kicks in and pushes back against death, using the magic flame as a catalyst to work something new in Quentyn's wreckage.  Rise up, charred man.  Whatever.  It'd be a nice mummy-inclusive way to go.

Archived