*January Reading Thread*

nobodymN

I have had to put Vellum down for a while. My head hurts.

I'm trying for a subtler mindf*ck instead and I'm going with the second volume of the KJ Parker Scavenger series, Memory.

The Godfather by Mario Puzo

One of the few times when I have enjoyed the screen adaptation more than the original book. Not that this is a bad read, it is actually pretty damn good, it is just that the first two Godfather films are among my favourite films of all time. The strength of the story is the plot and it is better presented on screen than on the page. FFC was at the top of his medium when he made those films, Puzo writes average prose. The best bits of the book are almost exactly recreated on screen and the rest is rather flabby and I wonder what it actually adds to the book (the Lucy Mancini and Nino storylines for example.) Worth reading if only to see how Puzo adapted his own work for the screen, and if he won no awards for this he deserved his two Oscars, and how the cast of actors actually gave more life to the characters than is presented on page. Good book, better films.

I have had to put Vellum down for a while. My head hurts.

My first post! Woot!

Yeah, my head hurts too, but in a good way. Vellum is kicking my fanny.

Before I started, I did something I usually never do: read the reviews on Amazon. Man, there are some people over there that REALLY don't like this book. Weird.

Mike

My first post! Woot!

Yeah, my head hurts too, but in a good way. Vellum is kicking my fanny.

Before I started, I did something I usually never do: read the reviews on Amazon. Man, there are some people over there that REALLY don't like this book. Weird.

Mike

Yeah, Vellum seems to be a love or hate affair - me, I loved it.

The Godfather by Mario Puzo

One of the few times when I have enjoyed the screen adaption more than the original book. Not that this is a bad read, it is actually pretty damn good, it is just that the first two Godfather films are among my favourite films of all time. The strength of the story is the plot and it is better presented on screen than on the page. FFC was at the top of his medium when he made those films, Puzo writes average prose. The best bits of the book are almost exactly recreated on screen and the rest is rather flabby and I wonder what it actually adds to the book (the Lucy Mancini and Nino storylines for example.) Worth reading if only to see how Puzo adapted his own work for the screen, and if he won no awards for this he deserved his two Oscars, and how the cast of actors actually gave more life to the characters than is presented on page. Good book, better films.

Hey Baz.

The best part of the book was the development of the backstory behind Michael's assassin (he is described as Micahel's Luca Brazi but his name escapes me and the book is at home). The most irrelevent bit was the whole surgical procedure Micahel's sister has to undergo. Otherwise, the first two films are much better than the book for relaying the story.

Stubby

Yeah, Vellum seems to be a love or hate affair

But all the really smart people love Vellum ;) This rules our many Amazon reviewers.

The weather here was miserable all weekend. I huddled down with Lolita, which I'd been putting off for way too long but was actually quite different from how I expected (in a good way). And also Soul Mountain by Nobel-winner Gao Xingjian, which is a post-modernist road trip through China. Lovely setting, loving writing, simple and zen-like. But not for everyone, the entire narrator talking to various aspects of himself and lack of real plot would probably be a turn-off for many people. Not something I'd want to read all the time.

I'm entirely too lazy to search and find out if Mr. Lynch is planning on writing more Locke Lamora books. Someone tell me yes?

Just finished it. Loved it. Will recommend it to anyone.

It's going to be a seven book series. The next Reds Seas Under Red Skies comes out this June, I believe.

He also has another seven book series planned in the same world that I think will revolve around different characters. It's supposed to take place about 20 years after Locke's time.

Plus he's got three Locke Lamora novellas in the works.

Rejoice!

The re-read of ASOIAF including ADWD when its released, the re-read of Harry Potter 1-7, the read of The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, The Shannarra stuff by Terry Brooks, the finishing of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, something by David Farland, some Raymond Fiest, and I'm going to continue writing my own novel series and have some more fantasy to read.

The re-read of ASOIAF including ADWD when its released, the re-read of Harry Potter 1-7, the read of The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, The Shannarra stuff by Terry Brooks, the finishing of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, something by David Farland, some Raymond Fiest, and I'm going to continue writing my own novel series and have some more fantasy to read.

I want what you're drinking!! :sick:

Hey Baz.

The best part of the book was the development of the backstory behind Michael's assassin (he is described as Micahel's Luca Brazi but his name escapes me and the book is at home). The most irrelevent bit was the whole surgical procedure Micahel's sister has to undergo. Otherwise, the first two films are much better than the book for relaying the story.

Stubby

Hey Stubs,

The backstory of Michael's Brasi was good but then he really did feck all and what was the point of spending that much time introducing a whole new character that far in to the book? Would have been nice to see him develop through the story. A lot of the book is spent on short stories like that which have only the vaguest connection to the meat of the plot. Fredo really does nothing for example. The only characters who really develop are Michael, Kay and Carlo and really, with Kay and Carlo it is just a case of accepting circumstances.

It was Michael's sister's Maid of Honour mate :kiss: Totally agree. It seemed a bit of a personal mission to crowbar that procedure in to the story. Not entirely sure why. I was discussing this with my boss the other day when two other staff walked past, I think they think they work for a pair of deviants now.

A lot of the book is spent on short stories like that which have only the vaguest connection to the meat of the plot. Fredo really does nothing for example.

Yeah thats what I meant - it was a disjointed book and much better film.

It was Michael's sister's Maid of Honour mate

My bad.

Oooooooh, I love you for telling me that :D Very nice. And very sad I was so sick the weekend of World Scifi and Fantasy Convention and didn't get to meet him :( Dammit, I don't wanna go to freaking Japan. Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll be at the American convention (assuming we all plan to go to an American Convention this year for those who can't make it to Japan.)

Dingo, He comes to most of the local cons here. :P

Really nice guy. you should read his LJ

Oooooooh, I love you for telling me that :D Very nice. And very sad I was so sick the weekend of World Scifi and Fantasy Convention and didn't get to meet him :( Dammit, I don't wanna go to freaking Japan. Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll be at the American convention (assuming we all plan to go to an American Convention this year for those who can't make it to Japan.)

also, I am pretty sure I read in his LJ that he and Jenn mean to attend WFC in Saratoga Springs in November. *crosses fingers*

Just finished Elantris . Not bad, but after lots of build-up, the climactic chapters just seemed to fly by, while the epilogue left a lot of unexplored possibilities in the Opelon world, should Sanderson wish to return to it at a later date. Still, it was nice to read a book that is not part of some multi-volume saga.

Speaking of multi-volume, just started Cornwell's The Winter King. If it's good, at least I know the second and third books are waiting at the local library...

Just finished Elantris . Not bad, but after lots of build-up, the climactic chapters just seemed to fly by, while the epilogue left a lot of unexplored possibilities in the Opelon world, should Sanderson wish to return to it at a later date. Still, it was nice to read a book that is not part of some multi-volume saga.

Speaking of multi-volume, just started Cornwell's The Winter King. If it's good, at least I know the second and third books are waiting at the local library...

Elantris was originally written as a stand-alone, but his publishers wanted it to be a trilogy, so he rewrote the ending to leave that possibility open. I definitely agree that the final chapters flew by, but all-in-all an enjoyable book. I liked the Aon system of magic.

The Winter King was a little tough to get into, but once I got over that hump I loved it. The Warlord Chronicles is one of my all time favorite series... good times.

To Redeye

Well, all you need then is a little bit of the American High School Education system! How much does it suck? Seriously though, it gives me lots of free time and a reason to not talk to anyone but a select few people, ever.

I just finished reading Fast Forward 1, a new SF anthology series edited by Lou Anders with Pyr that will be released next month (review). There are quite a few big names and lots of the new, up and coming names as well. I can't claim to be an authority on anthologies, but this one seemed better than most.

I'm just saying, that's a big January you've got there.

Yeah, High School sucks. At least you have better books to read. I read a lot of Star Wars...

One good thing about for me was that I never had to study (not that I did much in undergrad either; only really had to as a post-grad), and that gave me lots of time to do the things I enjoyed - like read those glorious masterworks of fiction that are known as star wars novels. I would have loved to have read ASoIaF in High School! (can't say I agree with the rest of your list though...)

Dang, I wish I had your determination and/or resilience. I've read Martin's ASOIAF series twice so far. The second time was in preparation for AFfC. And I re-read the Potter series maybe 6 months ago. I sincerely wish that I had a fantastic photographic memory like some others so that I don't have to re-read, but I'm always stuck in the neverending cycle of unfinished series by different authors so it's hard for me to keep up with all the details from so many different stories. Luckily, ASOIAF and the Potter books are actually well-paced and pretty exciting throughout so that I can get through the material pretty well on a re-read.

However, I can honestly say I probably won't be doing any re-reads for the Malazan series. I've definitely enjoyed the story so far, but some of the novels can be very tedious in certain areas.

So which Goodkind book are you on so far? I can't mock you since I've actually read all the way up to Chainfire. However, Goodkind's incessant preaching and horrible efforts lately have totally turned me off his stuff for good I believe. It does irk me that his series will probably be the only one I that I will never finish.

And to get back on topic, I'm currently reading House of Chains by Erikson to be immediately followed by Kushiel's Dart.

Archived