Tyrion Counsel to Aegon (Young Griff)

Chris Mormont

4 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Not really, since they were going to Dany originally.

The idea is that they were never too enthusiastic about Daenerys. In and of herself, she only became part of their plan after she hatched the dragonlets. 

5 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

That can be used to support the Blackfyre theory. 

You mean in the sense that it is a crappy plan, doomed to failure, like all the Blackfyre plans ;-)?

18 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

The idea is that they were never too enthusiastic about Daenerys. In and of herself, she only became part of their plan after she hatched the dragonlets. 

They are actually more enthusiastic about Dany and her dragons than they are about their own prince. It is impractical to go to Daenerys, but it is not that they *really* believe their boy is going to have a run. They are very surprised at the success they seem to be having.

15 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I think people have touched on this but not really highlighted the point, that Tyrion had every reason to suspect he would be killed by Danaerys.  If he did believe that, the advice makes sense in terms of self preservation.

I think the issue is more along the lines that she is unknown to him and he has precisely zero leverage. Presentation and context also matters. Being introduced to Dany by say Illyrio as an asset that has defected is very different from being presented as a fugitive and a prisoner from Griff.

Had he managed to make himself a part of the group and ingratiate himself to Aegon, his circumstances would change drastically. We see him doing the same thing again with the Second Sons. 

I don't think that Tyrion wanted to avoid Dany. For one thing I don't think he fancies Aegon's chances solo or that he sees his own prospects as better in Westerns, than taking his chances with Dany. There is also the fascination with dragons. Only a certain death would turn him away from dragons. 

Archived