New (?) Coldhands Theory

ndye5555

Hey all, sorry if this has been posted about before, but I've been on this forum for quite a long time and I've never seen this discussed. My question is, is there any possibility that Coldhands is a remnant of the Green Men that Old Nan tells Bran about?

The Green Men are described as having dark, green skin, with some stories describing horns or antlers. They are also said to ride elk. Supposedly, they were entrusted to guard the Isle of Faces after the Pact between the Children and the First Men.

We know Coldhands has close ties with the the Children of the Forest. We see him speaking the True Tongue when his elk dies. Is it possible that he used to be one of the Green Men on the Isle of Faces before he was forced both with the rest of the Children? It would mean he might have some critical knowledge of the events surrounding the Pact and it would explain his connection to the Children. Maybe he even hides his face because of... horns?

Anyways, it might just be crackpot but I've never heard it before and I'm running out of things to research while waiting for Winds. Let me know what you all think!

Well, it's not one I've heard either :thumbsup:

The main thing arguing against it would be the Green Men still being on the Isle of Faces, and not having been forced anywhere - they were still there just before Robert's Rebellion, which we know because Howland Reeed was able to visit them.

Personally, I'm happy with the explanation that he was a Brother of the NW, due to him wearing blacks, but for me the big question is how long he's been dead? I quite like the suggestion that he may have originally been one of Bloodraven's "Raven's Teeth", but it's not something I can back up with anything from the text.

1 hour ago, ndye5555 said:

Shoot I had forgotten about Howland read visiting them. I was assuming the Green Men fled north with the Children.

It happens. It happens to me quite often as a matter of fact, forgetting things here and there. That's why it is good to chat about it because someone is bound to remember for you :cheers:

I also like the Raven's Teeth explanation, even with no direct text yet. I have seen it mentioned that Coldhands is an old greenseer of some sort. Also a plausible idea.

1 hour ago, ndye5555 said:

Anyways, it might just be crackpot but I've never heard it before and I'm running out of things to research while waiting for Winds. Let me know what you all think!

6 hours ago, Rufus Snow said:

The main thing arguing against it would be the Green Men still being on the Isle of Faces, and not having been forced anywhere - they were still there just before Robert's Rebellion, which we know because Howland Reeed was able to visit them.

6 hours ago, ndye5555 said:

Shoot I had forgotten about Howland read visiting them. I was assuming the Green Men fled north with the Children.

In fairness to you, it doesn't necessarily invalidate your theory. Just because the Green Men are/were recently still on the Isle of Faces, doesn't mean one of them couldn't have ended up in the North for one reason or another.

I think, now you mention it (good catch btw), the riding an elk thing obviously links Coldhands to the Green Men and the Children in some way. It's clearly a part of the magic of the Old Gods. To what degree I don't know.

Archived