Formula One 2019

Werthead

I guess one thing that list doesn't reveal is how close the racing is in a given season. For me there's no point in 10 champions per decade if in that year only that driver and his team mate win races. 

That said, this decade has only had two teams and besides vettel's first championship and 2018, the winning constructors have been utterly dominant.

For me leaving rules stable helps the sport eventually. This season has been much closer in terms if racing despite mercedes dominance in the first 6 races and we've had tracks where red bull and Ferrari are legitimately the fastest cars on track. McLaren are also making steady progress which gives me hope 2020 could be a great season where over the course of a season 4 teams could win races. 

My fear is that the rule changes in 2021 will just shuffle the deck in terms of which team gets the most out of the changes (probably one of the top 3 or 4 if McLaren bounce back) leading to that team easily winning 2 championships.

I think as long as there are 3/4 teams that can get on the podium and win races that's fine. I don't have a problem with their being "b" teams. Most other sports have this eg football, rugby, tennid etc 

The only realistic way i could see them making F1 balanced is to introduce an NFL draft system making it harder for any given team to have the first pick of drivers and upcoming talent. That would also have to apply for engineers and managers. Eg make it very hard for mercedes to have toto wolff, Hamilton, the engine and bottas. The mercedes example would mean they had last pick of the second driver. It could also solve silly issues like ocon not getting a drive because of constructors politics. The problem with this concept is that there are far less components in F1 which could make it limiting.

I just don't think the spending caps really work unless they are such that it limits the development of the cars but then F1 loses it's cutting edge tech appeal. Spreading the money more evenly is a better approach as it's currently set up so that the richest teams get the majority of the money.

The Constructors isn't quite as egregious, but still interesting:

2010s: 2 (Red Bull x4, Mercedes x6)

2000s: 3 (Ferrari x7, Renault x2, Brawn x1)

1990s: 4 (McLaren x3, Williams x5, Benetton x1, Ferrari x1)

1980s: 3 (Williams x4, Ferrari x2, McLaren x4)

1970s: 4 (Lotus x4, Tyrrell x1, McLaren x1, Ferrari x4)

1960s: 6 (Cooper x1, Ferrari x2, BRM x1, Lotus x3, Brabham x2, Matra x1)

1950s: 2 (Vanwall x1, Cooper x1) (constructors only awarded starting in 1958)

• 4 weeks later...

That was a pretty good race for Brazil, given the championship is over. Hamilton had a couple of uncharacteristic errors, Verstappen was absolutely on fire and great drives from Sainz, Gasly and Albon. Really bad luck for Albon at the end.

Idiotic driving from Vettel, undoing all the good work he's done in recent races of getting back from his poor form earlier in the season. 

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

That was a pretty good race for Brazil, given the championship is over. Hamilton had a couple of uncharacteristic errors, Verstappen was absolutely on fire and great drives from Sainz, Gasly and Albon. Really bad luck for Albon at the end.

Idiotic driving from Vettel, undoing all the good work he's done in recent races of getting back from his poor form earlier in the season. 

It was a reckless move from Vettel, although both him and Le Clerc are a bit unlucky that it had such catastrophic consequences for both of them, it seemed like a fairly light contact of the type drivers often get away with.

It is a bit weird how much better Gasly seems to be driving after being demoted back to Toro Roso. He may have benefited yesterday from other drivers' misfortune, but he was comfortably the best outside the top 3 teams before that.

It was a great drive from Verstappen, even when he ended up behind Hamilton it took him almost no time to overtake him (twice).

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Does anyone have the stats on Hamilton's results once he has tied up a title?  He seems to just fall off a cliff once its all sewn up.

I seem to remember last (?) year there was some discussion that Hamilton hadn't won a race after clinching that year's championship, although he did eventually manage to do it.

On 11/18/2019 at 3:46 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Does anyone have the stats on Hamilton's results once he has tied up a title?  He seems to just fall off a cliff once its all sewn up.

He won the championship in the last race in 2008 and 2014.

In 2015 he won the championship with 3 races left, which Rosberg then won. Rosberg won the 2016 championship but it was dragged out to the last race of the season (and Hamilton really only lost because of a mechanical DNR earlier in the season). Hamilton won with 1 race to spare in 2017 but lost all 3 of the last races again. 2018 he won both races after he clinched the championship.

Archived