a Song of Ice and Fire: The Lagacy of the Characters in Westeros and the Wider World

chatty83

So. we got a scene where Sam shows us a book has been written about the whole saga. We also see Brienne updating Jaimes pages in the book of houses. These are the indicators of the stories that will be told and the everlasting legacies of the characters and their journeys throughout the drama that has unfolded. Some were already written but how do you think they will be remembered:

Tyrion - doomed to be lost to history as ignored in the chronicles though surely he will have some standing in the Battle of Blackwater, being hand to the Queen/King and being a Lannister. not sure how they tell of Tywins death unless he is left out as well. 

Jaime - the Kingslayer looks like his redemptive qualities will pull through as hes now shown as a war hero and loyal to his ruler in the end.

Jon - The Queenslayer. hard to gauge as hes ended up being a bit of an outcast, a disgrace who was sent to live out his life taking the black. But he is also a war hero, a chartered King of the North and one of the heroes in the battle with the dead. he also killed the mad Queen which should have some redemptive connotations considering shes likely going to be chartered as a monster.

Dany - the Mad Queen. her lasting legacy will be Kings Landing. She may fair better in Essos stories but little for her to hold onto in Westeros.

Drogon - as with his forebearers, a monstrous beast that all should be fearful off. A machine of carnage and destruction.

….

23 minutes ago, Moseh Khayim said:

HATED the book. 

me too. I really feared that they would do it and of course they had to do it. Of course they had to name "A Song of Ice and Fire". Of course it was Sam who wrote it. It was such a cheap copy of LOTR.

11 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

me too. I really feared that they would do it and of course they had to do it. Of course they had to name "A Song of Ice and Fire". Of course it was Sam who wrote it. It was such a cheap copy of LOTR.

Surprised Sam didn't give it to Tyrion saying "The last pages are for you, Tyrion."

5 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

Sam said it was an Archmaester... and in the past season he told Sam he was writing the book.. and spoke of a Title that Sam was not fond of... 

14 minutes ago, W@rlock said:

Sam said it was an Archmaester... and in the past season he told Sam he was writing the book.. and spoke of a Title that Sam was not fond of... 

it was allegedly an Archmaester but Sam said that he helped him. Who do you think contributed to the book more? An Archmaester who is sitting in Citadel, or Sam who witnessed a lot of the event and knew the other characters and spoke with them?

2 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

it was allegedly an Archmaester but Sam said that he helped him. Who do you think contributed to the book more? An Archmaester who is sitting in Citadel, or Sam who witnessed a lot of the event and knew the other characters and spoke with them?

And did leave out Tyrion? Unlikely if Sam really contributed... I'll see the chapter again tonight, but I don't remember sam saying he helped.

Loved the book.  Because for all the stories that are eluded to of past triumphs and tragedies the wheel rolls on and the stories, well they get written by the winner.  You think these were the first group of people who wanted to "break the wheel?"  You think this was the first person who went insane trying to "save" people?  What that book tells you is despite all the stories human nature lives on.  The great houses hold power even after inflicting unimaginable destruction on the realm because of the stories.  Those stories that unite "us" unite the great houses not the common man.  "Let the dogs vote" and "I'll ask my horse" are reflective of who "us" are that are united.  

Wish they had emphasised that more in the epilogue. Might have reconciled me to the ludicrous idea of anyone accepting Bran as their king if they showed how for the Great Houses, it's a sort of free for all and hence acceptable.

Archived