TTTNE 476 - the ghost of series past

RhaenysBee

On 2/19/2020 at 3:27 AM, dornish prince said:

i am returned :cheers:

the continued support of this thread gladdens(?) me :P

Whoopsie, looks like you killed it for a bit. Sorry about that.

Sooooo ... lets add some content. Um, looks like I will be working evenings four times a week for the next month or two at least. It is exciting to be back to teaching and there are some new challenges, but I could really do with a better schedule. Also, I hope next week and in the future, there will be more of my old coworkers there to talk to - since it is the time of semester holidays right now, the school is almost all empty and I cannot chat with anybody in the teachers' room and catch up.

2 hours ago, First of My Name said:

Welcome back!

Hi Fomney, how is everything? Erasmus plans? Or, in case you are back yet, already planning the next one? :P 

Hello unknown person! Welcome back and nice to meet you. 

I have had a rather eventful week, I won’t go into details, but let me just say, I never craved a vacation more. I have already picked a destination and a hotel but I don’t dare to book it just yet, because heck knows how this virus fright is going to affect traveling in the next couple of months. I certainly don’t want to get stuck abroad and I also don’t want to lose on the plane/train tickets and hotel if I’m not allowed to travel. 

in the meanwhile I’m on a train to a work location, which is unduly full for Sunday night. Oh well. I bought a National Geographic because the news agent's didn’t stock anything I wanted to get. I’m not a huge fan of Nat Geo because I only ever read 20% of it. If I wanted to go into criticizing the world, I could as well describe the fault in the system that results in minor inconveniences like this, but I will spare you that. 

also my work project got canceled last week, which was unexpected and disappointing, though I can’t deny the moment didn’t give me some level of relief and a bit of healthy gloating. Oh well. I’m sure it’ll be revived at some point. 

and I have come to realize that since my sister has moved in with me, I am painfully involved in my family’s life and I want out. Well, not out, just outer. That’s why I want to go on a holiday when sister finally moves out. In fact I should consider moving to another country as it’s my last reasonable chance in the course of my life anyway. And if I’m to lazy and cowardly to do that, I will at least adopt a puppy and go to a language course or do another Bsc or something because my life badly needs some form of progress. 

Happy mardi gras/carnival/whatever you are celebrating, spammers! :commie::commie::commie: My brother and I joined some of his friends to see the procession on Sunday, with all the "kurenti", and just now I noticed a large group of the children from the nearby kindergarten all dressed up in their cute costumes. It is adorable. I wish I had somebody to dress up with and go partying or something. Yes, I am totally too old for that, why do you ask?

Rhae, where do you want to go on holiday? Hope the sister moves out without problems.

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Happy mardi gras/carnival/whatever you are celebrating, spammers! :commie::commie::commie: My brother and I joined some of his friends to see the procession on Sunday, with all the "kurenti", and just now I noticed a large group of the children from the nearby kindergarten all dressed up in their cute costumes. It is adorable. I wish I had somebody to dress up with and go partying or something. Yes, I am totally too old for that, why do you ask?

Rhae, where do you want to go on holiday? Hope the sister moves out without problems.

Carnival is another thing we don’t really celebrate here. And I’m generally not a fan of dressing up, but kids’ costumes are indeed adorable and it’s probably great fun for them. 

Bruges. And thanks, I hope so. 

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Oooooooh! Look at this!

New movie based on Jane Austen! :wub: I have to go see this.

I have been meaning to watch Little Women for a while now. Have you seen that one? 

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

Carnival is another thing we don’t really celebrate here. And I’m generally not a fan of dressing up, but kids’ costumes are indeed adorable and it’s probably great fun for them. 

Bruges. And thanks, I hope so. 

I have been meaning to watch Little Women for a while now. Have you seen that one? 

I really liked to dress up as a child. Then I stopped when I went to high school because we didn't really have anything organised by the school after that. But actually I wanted to do it every year, just never had company or anywhere to go with it. :dunno:

Interesting destination! I had an idea to make a round trip in a smiliar end of Europe in summer, visiting a few cities by interrail, but I don't think it is going to work out financially. Spending 4 months abroad in an expensive country, even with a scholarship, and not working during this time, is not such a great idea financially, especially combined with a holiday involving a flight during New Year, who would have thought. :leaving:

I have not seen Little Women, no. I remember reading the book years ago, but I don't remember much of the contenct either. But I am always up for a new Jane Austen.

32 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I really liked to dress up as a child. Then I stopped when I went to high school because we didn't really have anything organised by the school after that. But actually I wanted to do it every year, just never had company or anywhere to go with it. :dunno:

Interesting destination! I had an idea to make a round trip in a smiliar end of Europe in summer, visiting a few cities by interrail, but I don't think it is going to work out financially. Spending 4 months abroad in an expensive country, even with a scholarship, and not working during this time, is not such a great idea financially, especially combined with a holiday involving a flight during New Year, who would have thought. :leaving:

I have not seen Little Women, no. I remember reading the book years ago, but I don't remember much of the contenct either. But I am always up for a new Jane Austen.

I dressed up till the age of 9 I think. In fact carnival was quite a scarring time in my childhood because my mother had a pathological need to push me into extra “performances” to go with my costumes which were always incredibly uncool and cringy in front of peers. Maybe that’s why I hate spotlight and dressing up? What a Freudian revelation :lol: 

ah, I understand. If financial limits didn’t exist I would spend the entire summer traveling the British countryside and take a ten-day seaside vacation in Tenerife In the autumn after my 4(ish)-day Belgium trip in the spring. Now this is not something I can or want to afford with the current euro and sterling exchange rates. Which are honestly scary. Very scary. 

i’m generally not fan of 19th century female-led period dramas, but downton abbey opened my horizons for the 1850-1940 era, so I’d like to give Little Women a chance. 

Am I weird for not liking Jane Austen that much?, I’ve always much preferred Thomas Hardys work from that era, give me Tess of the d’Ubervilles or The Mayor of Casterbridge over Emma or Pride and Prejudice any day.

In other news I am another year older today, I’ve not really done anything though been kept too busy and tired by Mini Siths 1&2.

21 minutes ago, Jen'ari said:

Am I weird for not liking Jane Austen that much?, I’ve always much preferred Thomas Hardys work from that era, give me Tess of the d’Ubervilles or The Mayor of Casterbridge over Emma or Pride and Prejudice any day.

In other news I am another year older today, I’ve not really done anything though been kept too busy and tired by Mini Siths 1&2.

:commie: happy birthday!!! :cheers: 

how are mini siths 1&2? and how are you guys keeping up with two baby siths?

23 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

i’m generally not fan of 19th century female-led period dramas, but downton abbey opened my horizons for the 1850-1940 era, so I’d like to give Little Women a chance. 

Have you tried reading any of the Austen books? The main thing I find interesting in there is the irony and satire, how she makes fun of different characters. The storylines are not that fascinating, but the ironic language is.

19 minutes ago, Jen'ari said:

I haven't read anything by Thomas Hardy, so I cannot compare. I can only say I prefer Pride and Prejudice over Emma.

Happy birthday, Sith! I hope you manage to get some sleep at least, it sounds like this is what you need most now. ;) :commie::grouphug:

20 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

:commie: happy birthday!!! :cheers: 

how are mini siths 1&2? and how are you guys keeping up with two baby siths?

They are ok, mini Sith 2 seems to be less chilled than mini Sith 1 was as a newborn though, mini Sith 1 seems to be quite fascinated with her little sister and keeps trying to check that she’s ok.

20 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Have you tried reading any of the Austen books? The main thing I find interesting in there is the irony and satire, how she makes fun of different characters. The storylines are not that fascinating, but the ironic language is.

I haven't read anything by Thomas Hardy, so I cannot compare. I can only say I prefer Pride and Prejudice over Emma.

Happy birthday, Sith! I hope you manage to get some sleep at least, it sounds like this is what you need most now. ;) :commie::grouphug:

Thomas Hardy is a very good writer although some of his work can be quite bleak and depressing.

Come to think of it people must assume I’m very depressed from my tastes- favourite classical author-Thomas Hardy, favourite band-Radiohead :lmao:, when actually the opposite is true and I’m quite cheerful these days.

23 hours ago, Jen'ari said:

They are ok, mini Sith 2 seems to be less chilled than mini Sith 1 was as a newborn though, mini Sith 1 seems to be quite fascinated with her little sister and keeps trying to check that she’s ok.

Caring older sister. ;) 

15 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I need a Xanax. Or a whiskey. Or both. And soon. 

:cheers: What is wrong?

41 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Caring older sister. ;) 

Everything. Or you know, nothing. I suppose I’m currently too hormonal for regular, boring everyday struggles and stress usually manifests in me as rage. If I have to specify, sister was being sister in the morning and handled my bad mood by piling onto it, and the floorboard store won’t give me the phone number of the delivery company even though I have been repeatedly asking to be put in contact with him since Monday. I sent a message to the store manager that we won’t be able to receive the delivery if I can’t talk to the delivery company. I need to know the expected time of the delivery  because I’m working and I can’t expect the construction manager to sit on the floor of an empty flat all day. And I need to arrange that they unload and carry the 200kgs of wood to the 4th floor and I would also like to know in advance how much that’ll cost me. And no I absolutely don’t trust that the delivery man will call me today. In my experience about 5% of service provider employees/entrepreneurs call you (back) when they say they will. 
:bang:

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Caring older sister. ;) 

Very much so, she’s started showing a tremendous amount of empathy for others for a 2 year old.

54 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Everything. Or you know, nothing. I suppose I’m currently too hormonal for regular, boring everyday struggles and stress usually manifests in me as rage. If I have to specify, sister was being sister in the morning and handled my bad mood by piling onto it, and the floorboard store won’t give me the phone number of the delivery company even though I have been repeatedly asking to be put in contact with him since Monday. I sent a message to the store manager that we won’t be able to receive the delivery if I can’t talk to the delivery company. I need to know the expected time of the delivery  because I’m working and I can’t expect the construction manager to sit on the floor of an empty flat all day. And I need to arrange that they unload and carry the 200kgs of wood to the 4th floor and I would also like to know in advance how much that’ll cost me. And no I absolutely don’t trust that the delivery man will call me today. In my experience about 5% of service provider employees/entrepreneurs call you (back) when they say they will. 
:bang:

Oh dear that sounds really stressful and terrible, I hope your day gets better :grouphug:.

54 minutes ago, Jen'ari said:

Very much so, she’s started showing a tremendous amount of empathy for others for a 2 year old.

Oh dear that sounds really stressful and terrible, I hope your day gets better :grouphug:.

Aww that’s so sweet. I’m sure she will grow into a beautiful, compassionate person. 

the frustrating thing is that I would love to call off the whole thing because I’m sick of being played but then who the hell knows when and where I can get floorboards. Besides, then I would have to fight to get my money back. So I can’t exactly get out of the ring, I just have to keep calm and fight on. 

Today I received the delivery of floorboards. Full stop. Not the skirting boards or the insulation materials. That’s in the store where I can pick it up tomorrow. I expressed about five times that I want everything delivered together. Was it withheld because it’s not paid for? Well why wasn’t I sent an invoice days ago? Is it my responsibility and task to nag a retailer so I can pay for his goods? And there are weird holes in the floorboards. 

I’m ordering in dinner and having an early night. I shall fight another day tomorrow. 

Archived