Book Help

Reny of Storms End

I need some help remembering the name of a book. I don't have much to go on, so I apologize, but hopefully someone will know what I'm talking about. 

The scene I remember deals with a magician, he works in a tower, and although he's extremely powerful he doesn't do a lot of magic and never leaves his tower area. Then when working a spell some part of it burns or marks an area on the wall. When this happens he notices a profound change and realizes that someone has placed a sophisticated series of spells on the tower to keep him contained inside and also dampen his desire to do magic. His searing the wall broke one of the spells that was meant to contain him. 

Other details, he definitely works for a lord or king. He's older, and feels his age even more before breaking the spells that were placed on his tower. He might cast a spell that allows him to see lines of magic running from his tower to the location of the person who was ensorcelling him. After breaking these spells he goes back out into the world on some mission. 

Your description made me think of some stories by Barbara Hambly which I read decades ago, called the Windrose Chronicles, the first book is The Silent Tower, which starts with a wizard imprisoned in a tower who accidentally makes contact with  a woman in our world, California and gets her to help him escape.

On 6/17/2020 at 8:21 AM, A wilding said:

The book is the The Red Knight by Miles Cameron, the opening book of the Traitor Son cycle.

The wizard is called Harmodius.

Yes, that was my thought too.

edit: too late, I should have read the rest of the thread first

Archived