GRRM's world and its resemblances to our real one. From Religion to Politics and Geography to Wildlife

TheLastWolf

If we turn westeros 90% clockwise we find dorne at the bottom west (Iberia). 

The north is to the far east and beyond the wall is the land of always winter (Siberia) so I say Russia (Only country bigger than the rest of the European content/westeros but both are relatively weak given their size).  

Up above dorne to its north east is the reach which is France. Both are the agricultural centers and both have (historically) the largest populations in their respective continents. 

If we look to the north just west of Russia (or the northern kingdoms) we find the Iron Islands/ Scandinavia.  

Scandinavia is much bigger but their population is centered around Juteland (Denmark) and the islands between Norway and the Geats (southern Sweden). 

They both fit as vikings/raiders who target the westerlands or northern Germany. 

The Lannister family is based off of Lancaster in the war of roses and the mountainous terrain makes me think of Romania or the Carpathian mountain ranges. 

However if we look at power structure the German empire has two different cultural splits, north and south. 

The Prussians dominated the north and formed the northern German federation before uniting with the south. In the south Bavaria and more conservative politics like those from Austria ruled the day. 

The north was the most industrial base in all of Europe (for longer than the British) and they were/are the richest 

Gold reserves today by European countries: https://www.statista.com/statistics/687990/largest-gold-holdings-by-country-europe/ 

So north Germany is the westerlands, The prussian royal family being the Lannisters. 

Britain is the hardest because there is no one kingdom that is exactly like they are, but each are a microorganism of the British isles. So I will put this on hold and get back to it. 

The narrow sea is the Mediterranean. Braavos is venice (merchant city on water). It also connects westeros with far eastern cultural just as venice was the end point of the silk road. 

Tyrosh and Myr are the Moroccan end the Ottoman empire. The pirates on the stepstones are like those in the Barbary wars.   

Lys is in the wrong place but a potential candidate is Persepolis. There is an exotic nature to Lys but they are also white like the Persians who are descendant of the indo-European people. 

Ghiscari are arabs and the old empire is the caliphates.  

Volantis is Constantinople/Istanbul. Both are gateways to the far east, and successors to their respective empires (Valyrian and Roman). Both upheld those empires for some time but gradually lost power. Still each city is important to world trade. 

The vale is Austria/Bavaria (as I was alluding to before). 

Norvos I have no clue, I know nothing about the city.  

the Yi Ti are just China/ far east. 

Sothoros is the western end of the congo (lots of slave trade as well). 

The dothraki sea is the mongolian plains. 

Assahi by the shadow is Japan

Qarth is India (spices, elephants, important to trade even though its foriegn/unknown). 

Greece is the stormlands (fight me). 

Both are at the ends of the narrow sea / Mediterranean towards the east but west of Russia/Starkland. 

They are also a great cultural influence to the ruling family (the Targaryens) like the Greeks were to the Romans. Both have great storms and Sparta has a fighting culture like the Baratheons. 

There is no substitute for Athens but we can't have everything.  

The riverlands are Ireland (red head tullys, flat lands and rivers, fish (trout), and a lot of death/suffering). 

Rome is the ruins of Valyria (pompeii was destroyed by a Volcano as well just south of Rome). 

And now finally, Britain. 

This the hardest one because it doesn't fit the picture, and could be used as a layout for all of westeros. 

However one thing we learn about Britain is that their origins (at least as they claim) can be found in the city of Troy after the Trojan wars. 

The city was destroyed by our friends the Greeks, or the stormlands.  

What other great dynasty did the Baratheons destroy? The Targaryens in westeros. 

Where was their seat of power (minus kingslanding)? Dragonstone. 

Where do western dragons come from, Britain (ok so I actually don't know that but I've believed it since I was a kid playing the Scottish medieval fair mystery game for the scooby doo CD classic "Scooby-Doo! Phantom of the Knight": https://scoobydoo.fandom.com/wiki/Scooby-Doo!_Phantom_of_the_Knight ) 

How big is Dragonstone? Well according to AFFC its very big, not just a small island like the map makes you believe. 

Which house took the island for their second in line (Stannis)? The Baratheons who conquered the trojans (I mean the Targaryens) who resettled the Island like Brutus of Troy (Brutus turned to Britons) did to the British (english, whatever). 

So yes if your not taking the analytical stance that Britain is a microorganism of the seven kingdoms (which it could be), then its place in wider westeros is the island of Dragonstone.  

And that covers pretty much everything I know about Planetos. Anything I left out was due to a lack of personal knowledge. 

• 2 weeks later...

So forgive me if any of this is repeated or if I fail to meet any standards of etiquette, a. this is my first ever post on here and b havent read every single post in this forum yet. Some of the obvious ones I'm sure will have been maybe one or 2 is a fresh take- would love to know what you guys think...
OBVIOULSY THERE WILL BE SPOILERS FOR SHOW AND BOOKS IF YOU HAVENT FINISHED

Also concede that some or most of these references may at best be indirect or unintentional but possibly part of Martins general 'horizon of understanding' or may even (as per Death of the Author by Roland Barthes) might be purely my projection but according to that school of though that still has some worth?

1.So one of least subtle ones yet one I haven't seen mentioned before (I'm sure it has been it is just not as frequent as some of other obvious parallels with history) and TBF at present this ne refers only to the show... But the blowing up of Baelor- very reminiscent of Gunpowder plot of 1605- not only for obvious one of attempting to blow up one of or the centre of the capital and monarchy but also it come out of a conflict between 'Puritan' devout common worshipers who see the establishment as corrupt, sinful, gaudy, idolotrous and a corrupt hierachy- similar to views of Puritans after the reformation about Catholics. Obviously big difference that in show the actual plot isnt religiously motivated but still similar

2.Another one I like- I have seen lots of references to King Arthur, one of my first loves as a story, but having read these (notably Arthur being the prince that was promised) but actually Im sure it has been said but V similar to JON SNOW....The son and heir of the last rightful King (Uther PenDRAGON) and with country in turmoil when he doesnt know his fate. The product of debatble affections- possible rape/at least trick maybe also love. Brought up as a lesser member of a comparitively low-born family and suffering for his status and pained by his (lack of) identity but v naturally noble

3. Varys/Baelish somewhat similar to Francis Walsingham- ELizabeth I spymaster- almost archetype of official modern spymaster for a ruler when Liz was worried about Cathlic plots incited by the pope. He famously asserted ''Knowledge is never too dear''
Some of Baelish's more impressive traits are not disimilar to him and also Thomas Cromwell- Henry VIII right hand man and legal genius but was v low born and rose up from being  lwawyer and less so his mentor Wolsey- this one is v spurious though

4. Obviously we know Aegon and Daeny v resemble this next person BUT William The Conqueror also, in my eyes in terms of action while ruling, has shades of Tywin Lannister. In that though his brutality and cruelty is basically unequivocal it cannot be denied that he used it to a great effect to maintain his position and power.

5. Ive seen referenced in other defunkt post but the Comit in the Bayeux Tapestry (I think actually Haille's) that appears at the death of Edward the Confessor- who's lack of an heir would be the catalyst for Battle of Hastings- one of Bloodiest civil wars in british history proportionally is definitely an intentional one

6. With Hadrians wall marking the Scots as Wildlings it is also similar to the Picts whom Boudica the Warrior Queen led.

7. The Norman and Plantagenet dynasty of likes of William and Richard the Lionheart use of Lions emulate the role of the sigil especially with Starks and Lanisters and roses with Tyrrels but also the Red and White rose- like the Green and Red apple Fossoways

8. SOOO much in Fire and Blood I need to re-read- but the early struggles with the faith in particularly over marriage with Aegon I, Jahaerys the C and then later on very similar to Henry VIII
The events that lead to Dance of Dragons are similar to ELizabeth's and MAry Queen of Scots relationship- in there being 2 females at head of opposing factions that were Catholic and protestant and in fact now I mention it Henry VIII's struggles to get a viable male heir (compunded by his young Son Edward VI's early death) and then the huge conflict between Catholic Mary trying to undo the reformation and then Elizabeth's rise is similar in that shows the fall out of unclear line of succession.

9. Lancelot, pure until yielding to his desires, Galahad the Pure have lots of parellels with Kingsguard generally and specifically- Criston Cole for example and I forget the one in fire and blood who falls in love  and forsakes his vowsand kills himself or dies for his love? There's more with someone saving one of the Queens or princesses possibly Rhaenyra but i forget
Soo much more in fire and Blood but being too vague I must re-read

• 3 weeks later...

Doom of Valyria.

One real-world civilization destroyed by a volcano was the first (Hindu) kingdom of Mataram, which was destroyed in 1006 by a big eruption of the Merapi volcano in Java.

One future real-world disaster will be if the huge fast-expanding magma chamber under the Iwo Jima volcano explodes full-power and blows its insides out.

Archived