Book equivalent of the Night King?

I wonder if the 2 unpublished main-series books will have something like the Night King? In the book A Dance with Dragons, something quite powerful and dangerous behind the scenes would be needed to make the wildlings / Freefolk so willing to join the Wall garrison.

In Fire and Blood, Queen Alysanne 3 times tried to fly her dragon Silverwing north of the wall, and every time Silverwing refused - and never before had Silverwing refused. Silverwing likely detected something powerful and dangerous magical in the distance beyond the Wall.

On 7/10/2020 at 2:45 PM, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

The Others are looking for the new NK and NQ.  Some say the NQ's corpse lie in state and watched over by the stone Kings of Winter in the castle basement of Winterfell. 

Oh so are you saying that you subscribe to the theory that the original Night King was a Stark. Or are you just saying that the corpse of the Night King (or Night Queen) is being held prisoner in the Winterfell crypts and that the magic of the Stark bloodline -- "there must always be a Stark in Winterfell" -- is what is keeping him/her dead.

On 7/9/2020 at 11:14 AM, Anthony Appleyard said:

I wonder if the 2 unpublished main-series books will have something like the Night King? In the book A Dance with Dragons, something quite powerful and dangerous behind the scenes would be needed to make the wildlings / Freefolk so willing to join the Wall garrison.

In Fire and Blood, Queen Alysanne 3 times tried to fly her dragon Silverwing north of the wall, and every time Silverwing refused - and never before had Silverwing refused. Silverwing likely detected something powerful and dangerous magical in the distance beyond the Wall.

You know, I used to not think so but now I do.

Not at all like it was in the show but I do think that the Others have their own language, customs and organization and that it's very possible that they have their own king. That's my first prediction/theory/leaning.

The original Night King was a man who went rogue, married a female Other (?!?!?!) and, with her help, took control of the entire Wall and the Gift as its King for thirteen years.

In short, the Night King was a man who aligned himself with the Others and committed atrocities against mankind with the help/assistance/approval of one or all of the Others.

My second prediction/theory is I'm thinking that the Night King will be another man who aligns himself with the Others. The ones most likely to do this are Stannis Baratheon and Euron Greyjoy; in my opinion, I think that it'll be Stannis.

He might even become the ice version of Beric Dondarrion and Catelyn Stark.

On 7/13/2020 at 1:05 AM, BlackLightning said:

Oh so are you saying that you subscribe to the theory that the original Night King was a Stark. Or are you just saying that the corpse of the Night King (or Night Queen) is being held prisoner in the Winterfell crypts and that the magic of the Stark bloodline -- "there must always be a Stark in Winterfell" -- is what is keeping him/her dead.

I believe the original Night King was a Stark.  Yes I do.  The body of the Night Queen and Night King could possibly lie in state in the crypts of Winterfell.  Watched over by their servants, the stone Kings of Winter.  Their servants will already be at hand when the time comes for the awakening.

5 hours ago, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

I believe the original Night King was a Stark.  Yes I do.  The body of the Night Queen and Night King could possibly lie in state in the crypts of Winterfell.  Watched over by their servants, the stone Kings of Winter.  Their servants will already be at hand when the time comes for the awakening.

But a Stark hasn't been in Winterfell in ages. Will the servants awaken as they normally should.

Frankly, I believe the original Night King was a Bolton but the argument that the original Night King was a Stark of Winterfell is fascinating and riveting enough to make me want to change my mind.

Archived