Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Gaston de Foix

Sheen's cameo feels so different now that it did in the 80s.  Hell, this movie came out the same year as Platoon.

(Gaston you may not have heard of it, but Platoon is a very famous Vietnam War movie and probably the best thing Sheen has been in). 

2 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

The debate between Ferris and Cameron about who is responsible is really a debate about whether Cameron secretly wanted to punish his father (duh!) and who has agency in their friendship.  

That is the biggest thing.  Is Cameron being run roughshod by Ferris, or is he choosing to allow himself to be run over? 

The movie ends somewhat oddly with Ferris suggesting that we should slow down and savor life. 

But nothing Ferris did was organic.  It was meticulous planning, skilled improvisation, feverish determination and having more lives than a cat.  Bad or good, it was distinctly American.  But as the cliche goes, the past is a foreign country...

Fin. 

On 8/12/2020 at 4:20 PM, lady narcissa said:

This is a fun movie, I hope you enjoy it Gaston.

We had limited exposure to suburban teens but the trio in the movie did somewhat remind me of some suburban teens I knew from the north shore suburbs so that did ring true to me.

Some of the locations ring true but others are totally off.  The 'fancy' restaurant they go to eat at is a private house in a residential neighborhood.  Why they picked that building for the outside, has always baffled me.

Seeing Charlie Sheen in this movie just makes me sad now.  I remember seeing this movie and thinking omg !!!! who is that when he appeared on screen.  Now, not so much.

Thank you! The trio do come across as very upper middle class suburban kids.  

On 8/12/2020 at 7:13 PM, DMC said:

Funny you chose this one next. 

Hide contents

I just watched it a few weeks ago for the first time since..I don't know at least 20 years ago.  I've always like how mature Ferris' relationship with Sloane was.  That's basically what happened with my gf at the time when I graduated, but you rarely see it just dealt with in a simple way like that.  Probably just cuz Hughes had to devote all his resources to the parade scene, but still.

I do too.  But do you think it was real/destined to last? 

Just now, Gaston de Foix said:

But do you think it was real/destined to last?

Probably not.  How many high school sweethearts actually stick together?  I guess that used to happen back in the day - my parents were - but I don't know anyone around my age that that worked out.

Just now, DMC said:

Probably not.  How many high school sweethearts actually stick together?  I guess that used to happen back in the day - my parents were - but I don't know anyone around my age that that worked out.

Agreed.  Although my question was a bit imprecise just because it ended didn't mean it wasn't real.  I do think he was sincere even in his marriage offer but whether because he wanted to be with her forever or because he was afraid of losing her, Idk.  

Archived