US Politics: The Roll Call Heard Across America

Fragile Bird

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

Why?  Lots of people would prefer a competent government run by the opposition than an utterly amoral, incompetent one run by your own party.  Yes, they will oppose Biden when he starts pushing for anything progressive, but that's fine.  They aren't Democrats, so everyone knows they are merely allies of convenience.  Doesn't mean they can't help.

These guys by and large are themselves utterly amoral and incompetent, and didn't have much trouble with the utterly amoral, incompetent Bush administration. It would be nice if the Democratic nominee were someone unacceptable to the Republican national security establishment. As much as they might hate Trump, I'm certain there are other Democrats they wouldn't have supported- that Biden is acceptable to them is where my concern lies. 

And I don't believe they help, anyway. 

13 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

ok...do you think the Democrats aren't actually reaching out to disaffected progressives?  Because while "disaffected progressives" can mean a lot of different people with different priorities, I definitely see an effort being made.

I really don't see that at all. The climate proposals are a little better than I'd have expected, but that's about it. Sticking with the ACA (I guess because Republicans loved it so much), no meaningful proposals for police reform, the section on "economic reform" is a complete joke, completely pro-corporatist but pretending it's about "farmers", immigration barley to the left of Reagan, no military reform whatsoever.

2 minutes ago, SaltyGnosis said:

Sticking with the ACA, no meaningful proposals for police reform, the section on "economic reform" is a complete joke, completely pro-corporatist but pretending it's about "farmers", immigration propositions to the right of Reagan, no military reform whatsoever.

- A public option is not part of the ACA and would be a significant progressive achievement. 

- $15 minimum wage would be a HUGE economic deal and would improve the lives of millions of workers (and likely the economy as whole).

- Police Reform is hard to do at the federal level, although the Biden pledges to use the DOJ to investigate and prosecute police and prosecutor misconduct, as well as decriminalizing marijuana and ending mandatory minimums would all be big, popular wins from the Biden platform.

- Not to mention other areas you left off, like passing an updated VRA.

Look, I get that Biden isn't running as a true blue progressive, and I wish he were aiming higher too.  But I get really frustrated with progressives acting like the things in the Biden platform would not themselves be huge wins for the left if they were to become law.  America as a country would be a vastly more progressive place if Biden's platform were made reality. 

1 hour ago, SaltyGnosis said:

I find it morally offensive that the Democratic party would rather court Republicans than disenfranchised progressive voters. It's genuinely gross. Idk why I'm so much more disgusted by Democrats who are all *Clap* MORE. *Clap* BLACK. *Clap* DRONE *Clap* OPERATORS. than I am by Republicans who actually think Trump is looking out for their best interests, but I am.

I don't think that.

I actually this post is morally offensive.

27 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

But I get really frustrated with progressives acting like the things in the Biden platform would not themselves be huge wins for the left if they were to become law.  America as a country would be a vastly more progressive place if Biden's platform were made reality. 

"Huge" and "vastly" are doing a lot of lifting there.

Idk what to tell you, I don't see four years of undoing what Republicans have been doing to the country as "progress." If you want to call this two-steps-to-the-right-then-a-halfstep-left dance the country has been doing for like 30 years progressive that's fine, but I just don't think we're gonna be on the same page.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

I actually think this post is morally offensive.

Cool, thanks for letting me know.

Archived