US Politics: The Roll Call Heard Across America

Fragile Bird

Thanks BIRD!

Okay, so I've joked here before about some political insider things I've gotten to enjoy over the years. One was about the time I got to meet Dr. Jill Biden. She was lovely, even if I don't exactly enjoy working a 14-16 hour day before till Midnight prepping only to have to be dressed to the nines at 8AM or so to greet a VIP visit the following morning. But I always remember she had this beautiful aide wearing a green dress and a giant pearl necklace and hot damn, she was in that introductory video, lol. 

The only thing about the roll call that I found potentially irritating, if it were done in the future, is the one upmanship it would create with costumes and settings...it'd be a 60 second Eurovision or something... :P

34 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Isn't a united front for the next 2.5 months a good idea?

18 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

So, I just read that Republicans are planning to have a Democrat speak out against Biden at their convention. Who will it be? I'm going to guess Joe Lieberman. Or runner up, Dick Morris, who is not really a Democrat.

Doubt it's Lieberman, and no one cares about Dick Morris.  My best guess would be Vernon Jones, who's already endorsed Trump.

Speaking of roll call, what is the minimum number of votes cast nationally for people to be satisfied that voter suppression was not significant in this election? Conversely what is the maximum number where one would be satisfied that voting fraud was not significant?

For the last 50 years 1968-2016 the highest voter turnout was 60.7% (1968) and the lowest was 49% (1996). The average over that period looks like about 55%. The lowest ever turnout is 48.9% in 1924, the highest ever is 81.8% in 1876. If voter turnout is between 49% and 61% (rounding up) there is probably not a strong case for nation-wide voter suppression or voting fraud. It seems like there is an absolute floor in terms of voter turn out, you can always rely on about 49% of the population turning up to vote. And there has been a sinking lid of the maximum number of people who can be bothered going out to vote. Obama-mania (or hysteria depending on your perspective) only managed to gt a contemporary high of 58%.

I'm not sure there is much danger of 60% or even 58% being exceeded. But if there is only a 48% or less turnout is that highly suspicious of widespread voter suppression, or can it be explained away by legitimate concerns of voters choosing not to risk poll queues for fear of catching COVID?

Is there a % below which there is a danger of significant civil unrest because of anger over real or perceived voter suppression?

5 hours ago, DMC said:

My best guess would be Vernon Jones, who's already endorsed Trump.

Every state legislature has its batch of strange characters on both sides. Frankly a lot of people don't want those jobs, and staff can actually be paid better than EOs themselves in some places. 

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

George Takei:

”The RNC has confirmed Bellatrix LeStrange and Ramsey Bolton have been added to their list of GOP Convention speakers”

Word has it Hans Gruber is going to be their opening night MC.

@Rippounet the summer between graduating from university and going to law school my best friend and I went to Europe for 6 weeks, living in pensions and surviving on espresso and toast for breakfast, fruit for lunch and a real meal for dinner. We had some fantastic food and lots of mediocre house wine! We spent 4 weeks in Italy, 2 weeks in Slovenia (my friend said we had to or her relatives would never speak to her again) and then headed to France and Spain. We never got past Nice, because we found a lovely room to stay in, and used it as a base to visit Menton, Monte Carlo, and Cannes, and that funny pebbly beach in Nice was actually a great place to people watch in August. There was this restaurant on the Promenade des Americains, L’Aventura, spelled in Spanish not French (is that one r or two?) where we feasted like kings.

Anyway, my friend liked to wake up at 6:30 am, walk to a bakery down the street for opening and buy us croissants and coffee for breakfast every morning. That was heaven! And has been impossible to duplicate here, alas, with no local French bakery. My neighbourhood is Portuguese and the things they call croissants are an abomination. The local grocery store bakes decent croissants every morning, but nothing like the ones in Nice.

Poor, misguided Ty, right?

(My friend spoke 5 languages fluently, returning to Toronto to get her PhD (on full scholarship) and taught at the UofT her whole life.)

6 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Speaking of roll call, what is the minimum number of votes cast nationally for people to be satisfied that voter suppression was not significant in this election? Conversely what is the maximum number where one would be satisfied that voting fraud was not significant?

For the last 50 years 1968-2016 the highest voter turnout was 60.7% (1968) and the lowest was 49% (1996). The average over that period looks like about 55%. The lowest ever turnout is 48.9% in 1924, the highest ever is 81.8% in 1876. If voter turnout is between 49% and 61% (rounding up) there is probably not a strong case for nation-wide voter suppression or voting fraud. It seems like there is an absolute floor in terms of voter turn out, you can always rely on about 49% of the population turning up to vote. And there has been a sinking lid of the maximum number of people who can be bothered going out to vote. Obama-mania (or hysteria depending on your perspective) only managed to gt a contemporary high of 58%.

I'm not sure there is much danger of 60% or even 58% being exceeded. But if there is only a 48% or less turnout is that highly suspicious of widespread voter suppression, or can it be explained away by legitimate concerns of voters choosing not to risk poll queues for fear of catching COVID?

Is there a % below which there is a danger of significant civil unrest because of anger over real or perceived voter suppression?

It all depends on how many wanted to vote and weren't able to, not what the raw percentage is. If 60% of people wanted to vote and only 55% were able to, that means there was massive voter suppression even though the final tally ended up right in the normal range. 

Archived