Game of Thrones Club

JonSnow776

17 hours ago, JonSnow776 said:

I am thinking about starting a Game of Thrones Club at my school. It will be for fans of both the books and the show. I need some advice on what Club members should do everyday it happens, since the club will be taking place on a Google meet call. Any suggestions?

For each session, choose an excerpt or a character or a location to discuss. Mix things up once in awhile by introducing topics such as, "Weirdest food" (answer: unborn puppy on a stick) or "grossest malady" (answer: possibly Ralf Kenning's maggot-infested, festering neck wound) or "stupidest fashion" (answer: Tyroshi beard colors). Or pick a provocative off-beat theme such as "characters without tongues" or "characters associated with shit."

Prepare ahead of time some favorite quotes or questions so you have material ready to fire up the discussion if people run out of things to say. Ask the club members to bring in excerpts or questions for the next meet-up. (Or you can ask them to send in questions before the session and you choose which ones are of greatest interest to the group.) Maybe you can trade off with friends so a different person takes responsibility for preparing and leading the discussion each week.

You can use the search function to find material on this forum that could inspire your club members or mine the many ASOIAF blogs and forums for discussion topics. The "A Search of Ice and Fire" website could also be helpful in identifying and focusing discussion - if you enter words such as "tongue," for instance, you can pull out the relevant excerpts for a discussion of characters without tongues.

I stopped watching the show after the fifth season (and I wish I had not watched that season), so I am not a great source of advice for combining book and show discussion. If you have read the books, maybe you can organize your club meetings around "things the show missed/omitted" and get people to discuss whether the details or major omissions would have made the show better, or whether it was fine without those elements. For instance, Daario has a three-pronged blue beard in the books. I would have found it difficult to believe that Dany was attracted to him if he had that beard in the tv series.

52 minutes ago, Travis said:

I mean no offense by this question, but are you in high school, college? An adult who just wants to start a club? The answer to this determines my answer.

But on a whole, general level, I echo what #Seams said.

High School clubs can be pretty specialized given the school. 

But yeah college is where most of this stuff happens.

12 hours ago, Seams said:

For each session, choose an excerpt or a character or a location to discuss. Mix things up once in awhile by introducing topics such as, "Weirdest food" (answer: unborn puppy on a stick) or "grossest malady" (answer: possibly Ralf Kenning's maggot-infested, festering neck wound) or "stupidest fashion" (answer: Tyroshi beard colors). Or pick a provocative off-beat theme such as "characters without tongues" or "characters associated with shit."

Prepare ahead of time some favorite quotes or questions so you have material ready to fire up the discussion if people run out of things to say. Ask the club members to bring in excerpts or questions for he next meet-up. (Or you can ask them to send in questions before the session and you choose which ones are of greatest interest to the group.) Maybe you can trade off with friends so a different person takes responsibility for preparing and leading the discussion each week.

You can use the search function to find material on this forum that could inspire your club members or mine the many ASOIAF blogs and forums for discussion topics. The "A Search of Ice and Fire" website could also be helpful in identifying and focusing discussion - if you enter words such as "tongue," for instance, you can pull out the relevant excerpts for a discussion of characters without tongues.

I stopped watching the show after the fifth season (and I wish I had not watched that season), so I am not a great source of advice for combining book and show discussion. If you have read the books, maybe you can organize your club meetings around "things the show missed/omitted" and get people to discuss whether the details or major omissions would have made the show better, or whether it was fine without those elements. For instance, Daario has a three-pronged blue beard in the books. I would have found it difficult to believe that Dany was attracted to him if he had that beard in the tv series.

Man Seams, I wish I'd had teachers like you.   Puppy on a stick indeed.  

Popular threads on this board or the Game of Thrones board might well have popular questions for discussion. 

You could make and wear GoT themed hats (made out of card or whatever you have at hand) or whole outfits if people have the time, inclination, creativity. Clothing choices and what they reveal about a character is a good topic for discussion that works for both the books and the show.

For the books, it would be interesting to work together on floor plans for the Red Keep, Castle Black, the Eyrie, Winterfell. If you were going to make a 3D model (approximating the opening credits of the show) it might be easier to do something like Queenscrown (simpler structure and well described).

You can learn Dothraki (surprisingly good language for compliments) or High Valyrian. It is fun to have a private language when you have someone to talk to in it. 

Archived