A Course in Miracles

Ordos

I've read a lot of religious and spiritual literature. This one is the latest and current book I'm reading. For anyone on some kind of spiritual quest of a sort I've been told this one is a must read. I finished reading the Urantia Book recently and as I was reading additional material online, this book kept popping up.

I'm on Chapter 14 of the "Text" right now. The book is divided into 3 parts plus some supplements. It has an interesting story as to how it came about but I won't get into it on my OP. Perhaps later.

The book seems to be a mind exercise and there are a lot of abstract psychological concepts. One person described reading it as deep frying your brain. And I would agree. It says things like that is just an illusion, this has always been, you think you desire this but really you desire that and on and on.

One thing that draws me to it is that many people who proclaim to be Christians say the book is to be avoided like the plague and even invoke words like Satan and demons. So I knew I had to get a copy and read it!

Anyone else read this tome before?

2 hours ago, Ordos said:

I've read a lot of religious and spiritual literature. This one is the latest and current book I'm reading. For anyone on some kind of spiritual quest of a sort I've been told this one is a must read. I finished reading the Urantia Book recently and as I was reading additional material online, this book kept popping up.

I'm on Chapter 14 of the "Text" right now. The book is divided into 3 parts plus some supplements. It has an interesting story as to how it came about but I won't get into it on my OP. Perhaps later.

The book seems to be a mind exercise and there are a lot of abstract psychological concepts. One person described reading it as deep frying your brain. And I would agree. It says things like that is just an illusion, this has always been, you think you desire this but really you desire that and on and on.

One thing that draws me to it is that many people who proclaim to be Christians say the book is to be avoided like the plague and even invoke words like Satan and demons. So I knew I had to get a copy and read it!

Anyone else read this tome before?

You're tempting me into a read, it's come up in my circles but I've never read it myself.

I tried reading some of the Seth stuff but I couldn't get into it, even as a kind of inspiration for RPGs or anything else.

Accusations of being hated by Christians and etc etc become a lot less impressive when the first person spreading this accusation is the book's editor and the second is a friend of the author. It's almost like even in 1976 they knew that saying that about a book was good marketing.

On 12/4/2020 at 12:37 PM, polishgenius said:

Accusations of being hated by Christians and etc etc become a lot less impressive when the first person spreading this accusation is the book's editor and the second is a friend of the author. It's almost like even in 1976 they knew that saying that about a book was good marketing.

If that is the case, it's interesting how many Christians easily play along with this accusation. 

However if you read the book you will see why this is so. The book denies that people are wretched broken things that need to be saved from sin. The book denies hellfire.

1 hour ago, Ordos said:

If that is the case, it's interesting how many Christians easily play along with this accusation. 

I'm sure they do. But many Christians also flip out over Harry Potter, Monty Python, Dungeons and Dragons. It's not hard to do.

1 hour ago, Ordos said:

The book denies hellfire.

So do many Christians. Hell, the Roman Catholic church, origin of many if not most of the more stereotypical 'we are all creatures of sin, shame us' tropes of Christianity doesn't teach literal eternal hellfire at this stage.

On 12/6/2020 at 11:26 PM, polishgenius said:

So do many Christians. Hell, the Roman Catholic church, origin of many if not most of the more stereotypical 'we are all creatures of sin, shame us' tropes of Christianity doesn't teach literal eternal hellfire at this stage.

So sinners reincarnate or...

1 hour ago, Sci-2 said:

So sinners reincarnate or...

Not sure why the implication is there's a binary choice between eternal fire and recycling until presumably you don't get eternal fire?

The church essentially teaches that the only thing we know about hell is that it's a place of separation from God. Whether there's any punishment other than that is unknowable. 

On 12/9/2020 at 4:31 PM, polishgenius said:

Not sure why the implication is there's a binary choice between eternal fire and recycling until presumably you don't get eternal fire?

The church essentially teaches that the only thing we know about hell is that it's a place of separation from God. Whether there's any punishment other than that is unknowable. 

Well I put an "or" there to fill in the blank.

Separation from God sounds potentially great, depending on what God is though.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived