How to Serve Dragon Eggs: Why Dragon Eggs Stopped Hatching (Theory)

13 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

That might be why, but that still has nothing to do with the Faith being OK or not OK with the DoE in the gross Targaryen marriage customs.

Well, protecting Robert from JonCon surely wasn't the option with less bloodshed. An unarmed 'faction' sided with the Rebels, thr Faith? For what reason, then? Jaehaerys made sure people elect a High Septon that will not raise a single against the Doctrine of Exceptionalism. With that he made sure that neither his successors will. After all, how could you attack something that your predecessor supported as a head of faith? With no manpower. That's why the bells rang. Altough they approve the DoE, Robert was a better option than the incestuos Targaryens, that's it. It looks like that it mattered to them enough to want to protect Robert.

The dragon eggs stopped hatching because the Targaryens grew weaker.  Too much common blood entered the family.  To a family of such high nobility, everyone else is considered common.  Non-Valyrian.  That is why the Prince Who Was Promised had to have grandparents and parents who were siblings.  Prince Viserys and his siblings were the most pure of the Targaryens in a long time.  This is fictional fantasy and we should not expect GM to have invested into the deep study of human genetics. 

33 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Brain Overload. Please make less convoluted.

Well, it's simple. The Faith couldn't attack the DoE by the time the dragons died. The head of the Faith, the High Septon, accepted it. But when the option was given, they chose Robert over the Targaryens, knowing that they can get rid of incest and inbreeding.

5 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

This is assuming that the attitude against Targ incest was passed on for 250 years.

In George's world, we have attitudes passing on for thousands of years.

Conflicts that are thousands of years old.

6 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Completely different than the Targaryen incest. The Targaryen incest issue only jumped up in the last 300 years. It is known.

Oh, we have such examples for that too. Every thousand year old conflict was once a hundrey year old conflict. Just look at the case of the Tyrells and the Florents. Or the Freys and the crannogmen. 

I wonder if George was inspired by Dumas' Corsican Brothers, where people actually have a 400 year-old conflict over the death of someone, and even an 11 year-old one that came from a dispute over a chicken.

34 minutes ago, Pontius Pilate said:

The dragon eggs stopped hatching because the Targaryens grew weaker.  Too much common blood entered the family.  To a family of such high nobility, everyone else is considered common.  Non-Valyrian.  That is why the Prince Who Was Promised had to have grandparents and parents who were siblings.  Prince Viserys and his siblings were the most pure of the Targaryens in a long time.  This is fictional fantasy and we should not expect GM to have invested into the deep study of human genetics. 

I really don't believe George wants Targaryen racial supremacy to be the big takeaway of his magnum opus.

But it's not an issue right now since there's only one Targaryen. Yes, I said one Targaryen. Aegon can't be real, if he is I'll be very surprised.

3 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

I really don't believe George wants Targaryen racial supremacy to be the big takeaway of his magnum opus.

The day the Targaryens become racially superior is the day pigs grow big blue wings and wear white cloaks. So yes, I agree with you.

1 minute ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

But it's not an issue right now since there's only one Targaryen. Yes, I said one Targaryen. Aegon can't be real, if he is I'll be very surprised.

If this reply of yours is intended to me, then I'd like to reply, but without tagging or quoting someone sometimes it's hard to figure out who you are talking to.

Either way, if a Targaryen restoration ever happens, the Faith takes into consideration the possibility of inbreeding being restored too, when it comes to declaring themselves to someone's cause. That means that it might affect who they will side with.

Archived