China WorldCon 2023

Werthead

On 3/31/2023 at 2:54 PM, Darzin said:

Is anyone here going? I may or may not be able depending on my schedule but a strong board presence would be a plus. Seems way more people have committed to Glasgow next year.

There was a thread on the BWB group on Facebook and I think maaaaaybe one person said they're going?

It's definitely a tough one for a lot of people, for various reasons. But Glasgow looks like it'll have very strong BwB representation.

I am signed up for Glasgow and intend to plan my next year or so around being in the UK at that time.

For China, I will go if I am in the region at the time (and I intend to be) and the later date makes it easier, but I have to say, it is not very easy for attendees outside of Asia to commit to that given it has already changed date and venue. If you're around there anyway then you can book a flight closer to the time, but if you're planning it a year in advance and suddenly the date and location changes, it's not good.

Still, if I can do so sensibly, I will go.

2 hours ago, Toft said:

I am signed up for Glasgow and intend to plan my next year or so around being in the UK at that time.

For China, I will go if I am in the region at the time (and I intend to be) and the later date makes it easier, but I have to say, it is not very easy for attendees outside of Asia to commit to that given it has already changed date and venue. If you're around there anyway then you can book a flight closer to the time, but if you're planning it a year in advance and suddenly the date and location changes, it's not good.

Still, if I can do so sensibly, I will go.

Yeah the changed date was a huge bummer for me as well. I was gonna be able to go 100% but now not so sure as I'll have to get a train to Chengdu after classes have started.

• 5 months later...

Circumstances have led me not to plan to be in Asia at the time of the convention. This makes me sad because whereas this convention has not been short of controversy, I always wish to support new groups of volunteers running conventions in new countries and cities and I don't think for a moment that they are acting in bad faith.

However, perhaps one or two of you will be at Octocon. I might manage to make that as even last-minute fares to Belfast are reasonable.

• 4 weeks later...