Dragons of Deceit/Fate

Rhom

Here's my review of DRAGONS OF FATE.

https://beforewegoblog.com/review-dragons-of-fate-by-margaret-weis-and-tracy-hickman/

Spoiler

I am a lifelong fan of Dragonlance and a story heavily focused on the history of the setting as well as how a bunch of time-travelers may muck it up is squarely in my wheelhouse. So, I was very excited about this book after finishing the previous DRAGONS OF DECEIT. While I had come issues with the first book, mostly its excessive humor, I have to say this book compensates for it as well as makes use of two of my favorite characters: Sturm and Raistlin.

The premise is Sturm, Raistlin, Tasslehoff, and Destina have found themselves in Solamnia during the Era of Huma Dragonbane. They have the Graygem of Gargath and it is leaking Chaos into the world. It’s not a great situation and despite our heroes attempts not to change anything, things start adding up as their moralities as well as confusion over what to do with their circumstance keep making little alterations to the timeline.

If you’re not familiar with Huma or the War of the Lance, this book probably won’t hit you as hard as it should. This is definitely a book for longtime fans of the series and the more you know about what a High Clerist’s Tower is or why the Blue Lady showing up on a certain day is a very bad thing, the more you will enjoy the book. Fans with a more passing familiarity will still enjoy the book, though, and the strength of the characters shines through.

I complained about Destina’s characterization last book as she seemed, bluntly, a bit on the thick side mentally. Here, she’s much improved by being more realistic about her actions as well as the potential consequences for her failure. I’m a bit saddened that she and Tasslehoff don’t continue their romance, though, since that was an unexpected twist I really enjoyed in the previous book. It may have been under false pretenses but I think she couldn’t do better than a Hero of the Lance. Tasslehoff has saved the world, after all. Three times!

The real star of the book is Raistlin Majere, though, and I have to say it’s fascinating to see him post-Legends. While stripped of about 90% of his magic, Raistlin is still a cunning adversary but he’s also learned a valuable lesson in humility. We also realize that Fistandantilus was influencing our hero the entire time that he was having his misadventures. This doesn’t make Raistlin innocent but it calls into question just what sort of person he might have been if not for that dark influence. It’s interesting to see Sturm and Raistlin start to develop a friendship under their strange new circumstances.

Supporting characters like Human Dragonbane, Magius, Gwyneth, and others all make the book quite entertaining. Seeing our protagonists play off what were only figures of legend to them is interesting. I also appreciated the fact we finally got to see the difference between Sturm and Huma. It turns out that, compared to Huma, Sturm is a bit of a wet blanket. Magius also indicates that Raistlin really may have just needed another wizard in the party.

This is only the second book in a trilogy and obviously ends in a cliffhanger. I will say that I am very excited about this series and am anxious to see how the setting will be changed by the final results. Definitely check this out if you’re a longtime Dragonlance fan. If you’re not, I think you’ll still enjoy it if you liked Dragons of Deceit (or even if you didn’t).

Edited by C.T. Phipps

11 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Here's my review of DRAGONS OF FATE.

https://beforewegoblog.com/review-dragons-of-fate-by-margaret-weis-and-tracy-hickman/

Hide contents

I am a lifelong fan of Dragonlance and a story heavily focused on the history of the setting as well as how a bunch of time-travelers may muck it up is squarely in my wheelhouse. So, I was very excited about this book after finishing the previous DRAGONS OF DECEIT. While I had come issues with the first book, mostly its excessive humor, I have to say this book compensates for it as well as makes use of two of my favorite characters: Sturm and Raistlin.

The premise is Sturm, Raistlin, Tasslehoff, and Destina have found themselves in Solamnia during the Era of Huma Dragonbane. They have the Graygem of Gargath and it is leaking Chaos into the world. It’s not a great situation and despite our heroes attempts not to change anything, things start adding up as their moralities as well as confusion over what to do with their circumstance keep making little alterations to the timeline.

If you’re not familiar with Huma or the War of the Lance, this book probably won’t hit you as hard as it should. This is definitely a book for longtime fans of the series and the more you know about what a High Clerist’s Tower is or why the Blue Lady showing up on a certain day is a very bad thing, the more you will enjoy the book. Fans with a more passing familiarity will still enjoy the book, though, and the strength of the characters shines through.

I complained about Destina’s characterization last book as she seemed, bluntly, a bit on the thick side mentally. Here, she’s much improved by being more realistic about her actions as well as the potential consequences for her failure. I’m a bit saddened that she and Tasslehoff don’t continue their romance, though, since that was an unexpected twist I really enjoyed in the previous book. It may have been under false pretenses but I think she couldn’t do better than a Hero of the Lance. Tasslehoff has saved the world, after all. Three times!

The real star of the book is Raistlin Majere, though, and I have to say it’s fascinating to see him post-Legends. While stripped of about 90% of his magic, Raistlin is still a cunning adversary but he’s also learned a valuable lesson in humility. We also realize that Fistandantilus was influencing our hero the entire time that he was having his misadventures. This doesn’t make Raistlin innocent but it calls into question just what sort of person he might have been if not for that dark influence. It’s interesting to see Sturm and Raistlin start to develop a friendship under their strange new circumstances.

Supporting characters like Human Dragonbane, Magius, Gwyneth, and others all make the book quite entertaining. Seeing our protagonists play off what were only figures of legend to them is interesting. I also appreciated the fact we finally got to see the difference between Sturm and Huma. It turns out that, compared to Huma, Sturm is a bit of a wet blanket. Magius also indicates that Raistlin really may have just needed another wizard in the party.

This is only the second book in a trilogy and obviously ends in a cliffhanger. I will say that I am very excited about this series and am anxious to see how the setting will be changed by the final results. Definitely check this out if you’re a longtime Dragonlance fan. If you’re not, I think you’ll still enjoy it if you liked Dragons of Deceit (or even if you didn’t).

While I’m sure the next book won’t address it

Spoiler

As they go into full on “What If?” territory with the ending cliffhanger, my mind wonders how there would be a Cataclysm at all if Takhisis won the Third Dragon War?  Would a High Priestess have taken up residence in Istar and called down the fury of the gods instead?

How is Tanis going to show up in Solace?  Surely the first thing a triumphant Dark Queen of Krynn is going to do is engage in an Elven Genocide.

And would there even be a Brightblade line at all?

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2022 at 4:51 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

But my question is how do they write ANOTHER tale set within the (apparently) post War of the Lance, that doesn't butt up against what they've already done?  And love Tas or hate him, do we really need a time travelling Kender off on an adventure with another set of new people?

Soooooo...I finally read the first book. I'm about to embark on the second.

I did not hate/dislike/lament the first nearly as much as the rest of you.

I'm not a reviewer like many of you, so I'm probably not nearly as critical overall, but I see much of what was criticized and I'm not sure it bothered me as much as many others...though I do not find myself liking Destina overly much. Even if I see her dilemma and can sympathize, knowing her actions are predicated on her circumstances, she simply isn't written as likeable. I mean, Weis and Hickman go out of their way in the early going to show that she has zero interest or desire to know about the world around her, and how the events of Chronicles and Legends impacted her life and times. Just a little bit of knowledge may have given her character a little more empathy and allowed the reader to understand what is, seemingly, an ever increasing case of hysterics...

The rest of the cast...the old time characters, they all felt lived in and familiar for the most part...even if Tas was a Ober the top...even for him. 

Overall, I was satisfied and I'm looking forward to the second one...which I go to start now...

22 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Overall, I was satisfied and I'm looking forward to the second one...which I go to start now...

I did like the second quite a bit more and really like the hook they have set up for the third.

Hope you enjoy it.

I'm still working through Book 2... just not as much reading time as I'd like... but while I do think it's been a vast improvement, I'm struggling with the story of Huma, as presented here, as I re-read Richard Knaak's Huma story and its follow up earlier this year, so that's still fresher in my mind. And yeah, I know...Graygem...

Edited by Jaxom 1974