Why are there Lannister Men-at-arms hanging around King’s Landing?

Thedog

3 hours ago, frenin said:

I find the Lannister overinfluence overstated, it comes primarily from Ned's bias (two Lannisters in the same room are three extra Lannisters to his liking). And Varys who was filling Ned's head with poison.

In reality, The Baratheon and Arryn's by far hold the most important positions at court, the only real reason the Lannisters have the influence they have on Robert is solely due to Cersei.

But most men at court are either from the Vale, the stormlands or friends of Renly from the Reach. The only concesion Tywin has is Pycelle.

I agree. It's not just bias though, he believes that Jon Arryn was killed by Lannisters, so having any Lannisters near Robert (or indeed, anywhere in the city) is a bad sign in his eyes.

I think many readers buy into the belief about 'Lannister power' because LF, Janos Slynt and Varys sided with the Lannisters for their own reasons (+Renly and Loras fled) so Cersei managed to execute the perfect takeover. They also ignore that far as EVERYONE in the capital knew, Joffrey was the rightful heir to the Throne, so when Ned claimed the contrary, he was viewed as a traitor.

I wonder why would Varys fill Ned's head with poison, when he wanted to delay his investigation. Also, did Cersei really intend to kill Robert in the tournament? Because that's what he told Ned but he made no mention of this during his meeting with Illyrio.

13 hours ago, csuszka1948 said:

I wonder why would Varys fill Ned's head with poison, when he wanted to delay his investigation. Also, did Cersei really intend to kill Robert in the tournament? Because that's what he told Ned but he made no mention of this during his meeting with Illyrio.

We don't overhear everything of the convo between Varys and Illyrio, and that convo comes after the tourney.

So, Varys tells Ned about Cersei wanting Robert killed with the Melee is part of his effort to stoke suspicion, but also delay Cersei. Bran overhears Cersei's belief that they need to get rid of Robert asap and make Joff king, even if he's not of age, before he "falls". So, Cersei certainly was plotting and there was a real threat to Robert's life.  Not just because Joff isn't Robert's but she feared Robert would put her aside and take another queen. Which is actually happening, since Renly pulled Ned aside to show him Margaery's portrait. I think Varys hoped that Ned would take precautions, to keep Robert alive. As long as Robert is alive, the preservation of the status quo is more likely, even with Cat arresting Tyrion and Tywin sending Clegane to raid in the RL. Robert's response to learning of Cat's arrest of Tyrion is to order Ned to stop it all, and to go off hunting. Heck, even when he learns of Ned's decision to send Beric Dondarrion after Gregor, he decides to go boar hunting instead of white hart hunting. 

Right after his meeting with Illyrio, Varys informs the small council that Dany is pregnant and pushes for the execution order, which Varys and Illyrio use to hasten Drogo into wanting to cross the Narrow Sea.

LF was the man who filled Ned with the most poison, rather than Varys: with the dagger and taking him to Chataya's to find Barra, as well as by pointing out who of Jon Arryn's household was still in KL. LF is the one who pushes for Cat and Ned to discover that Cersei's children aren't Robert's.

After the reyne tarbeck revolt its said tywin formed the elite red cloak guard for his familys personal safety. Given his daughter,son, grandkids and at least one cousin are there it makes sens theres soo many there

Entourages for safety are common anyway among nobles its just there happens to be a lot of lannisters in the city!!

Edited by astarkchoice

• 9 months later...
On 5/19/2022 at 12:01 PM, frenin said:

They were a team, for the good and for the bad. Arryn also let Robert bankrupt the realm and never  put any check on him. I usually tend to give/blame kings for the success and failures of their servants, unless those are into some shady shady shit, which is why i don't care that much whether it was Robert or Littlefinger the one who actually bankrupted the Realm, the latter served the former and it was the former's job to check the work of the latter.

Btw, Ned would have been a wonderful Hand, on that end Robert was pretty much right and he obviously left the Realm in the most capable and trustworthy hands possible.

No Robert was just a bad king, and Jon was trying is hardest to convince Robert of not spending the huge bank that the made king had.Even Ned couldn't make Robert stop,and  I ain't saying Robert was good he just wasn't a good king. Now talking about cerseal  household guards. The reason that I believe she had them because the fact that kinglanding was attack by the Lannister ,and many people would like to see her head on a spike, as well her father didn't truly support Robert or the mad king.