Question regarding F&B/HotD

BriBri

some time ago i read a comment on social media saying that Viserys I intended/promised to make Rhaenyra first child, regardless of gender, the heir to the throne. is it true?

i didn't read anything about the Dance of the Dragons but i always read this forum and i never came across this discussion, so i was wondering if it was indeed book canon or something invented by either this guy or the tv show. thanks

No, it's not true.

While Aemma was alive, Viserys intended to have more children and make his firstborn son heir. That's why when Baelon died, Daemon joked that he had been "heir for a day". It was only at this point (with Aemma dead, no immediate intention to remarry, and being mad at Daemon) that Viserys decided to name Rhaenyra his successor.

5 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

No, it's not true.

While Aemma was alive, Viserys intended to have more children and make his firstborn son heir. That's why when Baelon died, Daemon joked that he had been "heir for a day". It was only at this point (with Aemma dead, no immediate intention to remarry, and being mad at Daemon) that Viserys decided to name Rhaenyra his successor.

i mean Rhaenyra first born child not Viserys's. like if Jace was born a girl, she would be the heir, regardless if R had other sons.

On 12/12/2022 at 5:00 PM, BriBri said:

some time ago i read a comment on social media saying that Viserys I intended/promised to make Rhaenyra first child, regardless of gender, the heir to the throne. is it true?

i didn't read anything about the Dance of the Dragons but i always read this forum and i never came across this discussion, so i was wondering if it was indeed book canon or something invented by either this guy or the tv show. thanks

Not in the book, It's from the show

It's what Viserys says, almost as an aside, in his conversation with Corlys, when he's negotiating the marriage between Rhaenyra and Laenor. The main argument they disagreed on was about last names, but I can't remember all the details. I think Corlys' condition was assurance that the children be called Velaryons, and Viserys wasn't crazy about that (I think he said something like, do you want my line to end just because I named by daughter heir?) but then agreed under the condition that the grandchildren would revert to the last name Targaryen, I think? I would have to rewatch to check. But anyway, I think his final offer was that he would go along with Rhaenyra's and Laenor's future children being named Velaryon and then he said something like, the eldest would be the heir regardless of gender and then the next generation of heirs to the throne would revert to Targaryen as last name? 

But in any case, he just threw that in in that conversation with Corlys that was all about which last name the grandkids and great-grandkids would have, but it hasn't been mentioned after that. Obviously it didn't end up mattering anyway as Rhaenyra only had sons., and Viserys, as far as we know, never tried to pass any universal rules or laws about succession, it was all about Rhaenyra and her children.

Archived