How much would the events of the War of the Five Kings change if Stannis had married a lady from House Tyrell or House Hightower?

zajaz

I know this is an unlikely scenario, but I was just wondering about this.

Let us say that shortly after the taking the throne, Jon Arryn (somehow) convinced Robert and Stannis that marrying, say, Mace's sister, Janna (assuming she was the right age and available), or one of Leyton Hightower's daughters, would help keep the Tyrells in check.

Now, I know Robert or Stannis considering this, let alone acepting it, is far-fetched, but assuming they did (even if quite grudgingly), how much would Stannis having a wife from House Tyrell (Mina was already married, but I'm not so sure about Janna), or House Hightower (I think Denyse, Leyla, or Alysanne could be right age, considering Malora and Alerie are too old, and Lynesse is just a tiny bit young) change the course of the story?

Changes everything (hightowers and tyrells are linked  by marriage do a marriagevto euther does pretty much the same job)

The part of the reachs issue with stannis as king  is his florent       in-laws and their instance they should be lords of the reach not the upjumped tyrells.

Renly would be in  contact with the tyrells/hightowers even if stannis doesnt contact him again , through his wife stannis will co ordinate(even if indirectly) which means he starts with stormlands + reach  = insta win

Hes more likely to have a few more heirs with a non hairyfaced harpy wife too.

Edited by astarkchoice

I feel like Mace would still prioritize his son’s relationship with Renly, so Stannis would feel even more bitter and betrayed.

The thing about marriage ties is that they don’t always have an impact. Being married to a Florent didn’t stop Lord Hightower or Lord Tarly from fighting against the Florents. Randyll went one further and massacred hundreds of Florents, I don’t want to know what happened when his wife found out about that. Hell, the Florents didn’t even side with Stannis until after Renly died. 
So, much as I wish things had been different, I don’t think it would have changed anything beyond Stannis maybe having more kids.

Edited by James Steller

Stannis marrying a Tyrell means that Mace will be caught between his second son and his sister. And Loras, said second son, will probably be even closer with Renly and their bond stronger due to mere proximity. A marriage between Stannis and Jana would make it easier for Loras and Renly to spend more time with each other.

Given both his personality and the structure of society, Mace Tyrell will choose to side with his son (especially since doing so means that his daughter becomes Renly's wife and queen) over his sister in this case. If Stannis marries Mace's sister, it might take a long time for Mace to reach this conclusion. But if it's one of his cousins...it's a much easier decision.

So, Stannis marrying Jana or some other Tyrell woman changes nothing more or less. Maybe he has a nicer (emphasis on -er part) spouse?

3 hours ago, James Steller said:

I don’t think it would have changed anything beyond Stannis maybe having more kids.

That changes everything

Now, Stannis marrying a daughter of Lord Leyton Hightower. That changes a lot...if not everything. Because if Stannis would marry any Hightower woman, it would be Mallora the Mad Maid. Not only is she Lord Leyton's eldest daughter (a Baratheon-Hightower match is prestigious) but she is the closest in temperament to Stannis.

With a Mallora/Stannis match, the Stannis storyline becomes a lot more magical and a lot more interesting. Imagine the push-and-pull, catty jockeying between Mallora and Melisandre. Stannis might have one or two more children besides Shireen. Mace probably still marries a Hightower because of Olenna. With Mace and Stannis both marrying Hightower women (who are not fond of each other), a big part of the Wo5K becomes an arm-wrestling contest between Stannis and Mace. And between Lord Leyton's close relationship with Mallora and the fact that Stannis does lawfully come before Renly, the Hightower army would probably be declare for Stannis. And if Oldtown declares for Stannis, his situation in A Storm of Swords is nowhere near as bad. He probably still has to go to the Wall because the Tyrells outnumber the Hightowers and, in his absence, Oldtown has to face Euron alone.

I think if Stannis has a son, as he might if he has more children by his wife, then that changes a great deal anyway in the immediate aftermath of Robert's death.

Let's assume Littlefinger was sincere in his suggestion to Ned about the succession, i.e. install Joffrey, check him out, dispose of Stannis, and if Joff turns out to be a massive shit, get rid of him and give the throne to Renly. For my money, this is an excellent plan, and while we can't be sure that LF was sincere, I think there's at least a half chance that he was, because it buys him a period of effective regency, which seems to be right up his street. Ned refuses because it's wrong and Stannis is the heir and blah blah.

But if Stannis has a son, the whole complexion of the scenario changes. Now LF can remove Joffrey with Ned's help on the premise of installing Stannis as king, have an accident befall Stannis on his way to King's Landing without telling Ned ("oh no, he fell overboard/burned himself to death on his silly wooden sword/cut off his own head while shaving, what are the chances?!") and now he has Son-of-Stannis on the throne who he can manipulate to his heart's desire.

And while in a straight choice between Stannis-as-brother-in-law and Renly-as-son's-BFF Mace would probably still choose the latter, if Stannis also comes with a half-Tyrell heir, that's a different calculation.

Stannis could really have used a Hightower wife. Hightowers are useless in a conflict as they were too unambitious(with exception of Dance) in their entire history and the current lord is connected to so many Reach houses no matter which side he chooses he'll get hurt but he is almost a competition to Walder in virility so his daughters would be thought of as fertile as well and well, he's RICH RICH RICH, and Stannis rules a poor island with mostly pisspoor vassals.