Sherlock Holmes Pastiches recommendations!

chongjasmine

I like pastiches which maintain original voice or style and looks something like what Doyle will actually write and set in the canonical universe. So no female sherlock, sherlock in mars, or things that go out of characters.
Kindly recommend them here, please.

Dust and Shadow is the cream of the crop, imo, although I suppose it’s debatable whether ACD would have written a long novel about Jack the Ripper.

Caleb Carr wrote decent book in the Doyle style, The Italian Secretary.

Recently I’ve been enjoying the Sherlock Holmes in Minnesota series by Larry Millett. They’re not really in the style (sometimes departs from Watson’s first person if you can believe it), although Holmes and Watson speak and act like themselves, but they are very good anyway.

Edited by john

Dust and Shadow, seconded. I read the first series of mysteries nominally from Arthur Conan Doyle and Prof. Bell…a knife in the fog, I think…Harkness or similar…good job maintaining the ‘voice’, good development, maintaining that slight, er, innocence of the originals, etc. while dealing with the brutality of the Ripper. No idea if they’re good from here but I’m intending on reading more.

Edited by James Arryn

• 3 weeks later...