Fire and Blood

KingAerys_II

3 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I think they made Jaehaerys look better than he really was.

I think he cheated on his wife, someone generated Hugh Hammer and Ulf White, some think it was Baelon, but he proved to be faithful to his deceased wife when Viserra tried to seduce him and Viserra was considered almost a Goddess for her beauty. 

Then it is hinted when the king speaks about the dragonseeds, Hugh Hammer is able to ride Vermithor 

1 minute ago, KingAerys_II said:

I think he cheated on his wife, someone generated Hugh Hammer and Ulf White, some think it was Baelon, but he proved to be faithful to his deceased wife when Viserra tried to seduce him and Viserra was considered almost a Goddess for her beauty. 

Then it is hinted when the king speaks about the dragonseeds, Hugh Hammer is able to ride Vermithor 

I wouldn’t go that far. Jaehaerys did famously reject at least two seduction attempts.

The dragon seeds could have been sired by Aemon, Baelon before his wedding, or maybe they were descended from Targaryens pre-Jaehaerys. We know that genetic traits are much more powerful in GRRM’s universe than in real life. Gyldayn said it himself, there’s a long history of Targaryens spreading their seed amongst the smallfolk of Dragonstone. 

9 minutes ago, James Steller said:

Agreed. I know we’re not supposed to like Saera, but I think Jaehaerys was by far the villain of her story.

Don't like Saera but it is a) his fault for not raising her properly  b) the way he dealt with the Stinger situation is just weird and a little creepy...

Edited by Craving Peaches

I think Saera crossed the line when she spoke about Maegor and his wives, Maegor tortured Viserys, killed Aegon and raped Rhaena, so it's natural he was enraged. 

I think he was the best king, but just like Viserys II, he did the mistake not to consider the female line for the inheritance, Daena and the Queen who never was were better than Viserys I and the Unworthy

16 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

I think Saera crossed the line when she spoke about Maegor and his wives, Maegor tortured Viserys, killed Aegon and raped Rhaena, so it's natural he was enraged. 

Gods, I hate Saera.

Promiscuity wasn't her big problem, although for the world she lived in it was because she is a woman. But this girl doesn't seem to have a drop of empathy, she sees people as toys for her entertainment.

Edited by Odej

4 minutes ago, Alester Florent said:

I think the majority of the dragonseeds were at least one generation removed from their Targaryen forebears, with the Velaryon/Hull boys being the exception. Most of them probably went back to before the Conquest. 

It's unlikely Goemon was unfaithful to Daenys the dreamer, so Aenar and someone after Goemon did it or Aerion himself if the rumors about Orys are true, the fact is Hugh chose Vermithor as a dragon 

Just now, Odej said:

Gods, I hate Saera.

Promiscuity wasn't her big problem, although for the world she lived in it was because she was a woman. But this girl doesn't seem to have a drop of empathy, she sees people as toys for her entertainment.

I forgot that Maegor ordered the execution of Rhaella when Rhaena "betrayed" him

2 hours ago, Odej said:

Gods, I hate Saera.

Promiscuity wasn't her big problem, although for the world she lived in it was because she is a woman. But this girl doesn't seem to have a drop of empathy, she sees people as toys for her entertainment.

True, but she’s rightly disliked by the fans. The way Jaehaerys dealt with her and with her lover… as Craving said, it’s uncomfortable and dare I say, downright Freudian. Especially if you believe the more salacious theories around Alicent (whom the old king saw as Saera, mind you)

Edited by James Steller

59 minutes ago, James Steller said:

True, but she’s rightly disliked by the fans. The way Jaehaerys dealt with her and with her lover… as Craving said, it’s uncomfortable and dare I say, downright Freudian. Especially if you believe the more salacious theories around Alicent (whom the old king saw as Saera, mind you)

Well, I don't believe any of theses theories.

Jaehaerys had no problem with or shown jealousy of Saera's relationship with her three suitors. He welcomed her marriage to one of the three. If he had such desires in relation to his daughter, as some think, the estrangement must have started there.

Saera lost her virginity in an orgy and even compared herself to her psychopathic great-uncle. That was too much for her father's pride, but I agree that Jaehaerys making her watch him kill Stinger was too much. About Alicent I take the simplest explanation: the old king found himself alone and helpless at the end of his life and began to grow old and feel remorse for certain actions, including how he dealt with Saera's situation.

In passing, Jaehaerys and Alysanne were only good parents to their good children. When it came to dealing with the troublemakers, they were deplorable. Alyssane was also unnecessarily harsh with Viserra.

Edited by Odej

There are some speculations about Aenys and Maegor parentage. 

Maegor is likely to be the result of blood magic, Visenya conceived him at the age of 40, clearly she had some difficulties before, she became pregnant just after the suggestions of the Lords to replace her because she was considered barren. 

Then it's likely Rhaenys used some kind of "sperm donor", a Valyrian singer with blue eyes. 

Targaryens belong to the most important house in "A Song of Ice and Fire", Rhaegar was a bard too and produced Jon, I don't think it's an important issue that Aegon was actually sterile, this doesn't make him weak, of course Maegor wasn't too