Strange marriages

Kal-L

On 10/24/2023 at 11:00 PM, James Steller said:

Also, Jorah’s marriage to Lynesse Hightower didn’t make sense to me at all. They’re from opposite ends of Westeros, they have different religions and wildly different expectations of lifestyle. I don’t care how besotted they might have been, it makes no sense to me why Lord Hightower ever approved of that marriage. It really just feels forced into the story by GRRM, though I don’t know why considering he could have gotten Jorah to Essos in a variety of much more plausible ways.

On first reading I had the impression that what with double standards re sex Lynesse was what would be referred to as a slut and her father was keen to get her married off and sent to Bear Island where she could not embarrass him. A naive chap like Jorah falling head over heels was probably a Godsend. I can't be bothered re-reading to see if this is correct or something I imagined.

On 10/24/2023 at 2:00 PM, James Steller said:

Also, Jorah’s marriage to Lynesse Hightower didn’t make sense to me at all. They’re from opposite ends of Westeros, they have different religions and wildly different expectations of lifestyle. I don’t care how besotted they might have been, it makes no sense to me why Lord Hightower ever approved of that marriage. It really just feels forced into the story by GRRM, though I don’t know why considering he could have gotten Jorah to Essos in a variety of much more plausible ways.

I think it makes perfect sense really.

1. Lynesse was Leyton's 100th child, you are way less invested by then.
  2. They seemed in love.
  3. Leyton seems overall a chill and aloof dude.
  4. Jorah Mormont had ties with the new regime while the Reach were pushed aside.