War Crimes in the Series

SeanF

On 1/23/2024 at 9:04 PM, SeanF said:

@the trees have eyesI don't think Tywin, or Ser Kevan, or Randyll Tarly, or - a lot of Westerosi lords - are any better than the Ironborn.

But, we do also see lordly commanders who do impose standards and restraints on those in their service, like Ned, Stannis, Jon Snow, Edmure.

At a moral, individual level I agree.  Sweeping generalisations are clumsy and unhelpful when Roose Bolton, Tywin or Bronn could be contrasted unfavourably with Rodrik The Reader or Baelor Blacktyde (from what little we learn of them).

But The Old Way gives the Ironborn an economic and legal framework to carry out reaving as a way of life that is absent in the rest of Westeros and a culture where a man's status and prestige depends on how many salt wives he has captured and men only wear jewellery they have paid the iron price for is obviously a problem for it's neighbours.  I've quoted the Theon chapter on the raid on the Stony Shore in my last post as I think this sums up how The Ironborn's approach to warfare differs from the rest of the 7K.

Of course this is a way of turning violent tendencies outwards rather than inwards but that just adds maintaining stability to the other reasons for reaving to continue less civil strife be added to men lacking salt wives, jewels, plunder and battle stories to boast of.

2 hours ago, Daeron the Daring said:

The criminals were hiding among civilians and behind civilian infrastructure tho, and they had to be punished.:tantrum:

Everyone else in Bitterbridge was acceptable collateral damage I guess...

As was the town name. Though 'Bitterbridge' does have more of a ring to it than 'Stonebridge', I will grant Daeron the War Criminal that.

Edited by Craving Peaches

• 3 weeks later...

On the subject of war crimes generally, I find Browning a lot more convincing than Goldhagen. Most war criminals really are "ordinary men", which is why the fit back so easily into civilian society, once the war is over. Even among war criminals, people like Beria, Dirlewanger, Amon Goth are outliers.

Even in Martin's world, people like Ser Kevan Lannister, Ser Marq Piper, Lord Karstark, Steelshanks Walton, Ser Addam Marbrand etc. are "ordinary men", whereas Ser Gregor, Vargo Hoat, Ramsay Bolton, and Ser Amory are the outliers.