Owners of MM/Subpress Books!

Rosstafarian

Thanks everyone! I heard back from him and he doesn't seem to keen on the idea of letting them go without getting a matching set himself. Hopefully with a bit more working I can convince him. I can't believe "the list" worked so quicky!

Yup, that's the plan. I offered him just that, but haven't heard back yet...hopefully my fingers don't have to be crossed for too long!

Thanks for all of the help.

Chris

Seems kinda selfish of him.

It's not like he's losing out, but he would be helping out a fellow fan.

Some people . . .

You have to do this so worst comes to worst, offer him a monetary fee for the trade.

I'd spend a few hundred extra to make this work.

Dennis

Glad I could help you out! I can understand people being hesitant on swapping sets for numerous reasons. Obviously it's difficult to tell if you are getting scammed, the books might be in different conditions, etc. I would assume that you would need to offer him some money + a swapping of books and send him the stuff first. You've got to look at it from his perspective and he is taking a risk with dealing with someone outside of ebay which is mostly safe or easier to recover any damages. Hope you can work something out and whatever you do be cautious!!

Look at it from his point of view - he has 3 books and needs just 1 to complete his matching set and you have 1 book and need his 3.

Assuming both copies of aGoT are in identical condition I don't think it'd be unreasonable of him to ask you to exchange copies with him so he can get a full set - he's most of the way there on set #96 already. If he had #45 aGoT I'd hope you, rather than him, would be the one to get the full set.

As for the actual exchange; I can see where that would be a problem, after all each of these books are valuable. I'd suggest trying to go through a neutral third party and using confirmed delivery services. The idea being that both books are sent to the third party, once both have arrived the third party forwards them on to their destination - neither buyer or seller ever possesses both copies at the same time. Obviously the buyer and seller pay all shipping fees involved.

Perhaps SubPress or a well known bookseller (like Camelot Books or Clarkesworld) would be willing to act as the third party, perhaps for a additional fee.

Well, Bill somehow uncovered my True Identity, so there's really no point in my "enoonmai" moniker anymore. Hence the name change on here. Kinda irritating that I've been "ratted out", as it were, but I was getting tired of the whole Clark Kent thing, anyway.

So, Rosstafarian, here's my letter - TT. I've preordered Feast, but whether or not Bill sells it to me or just refunds my money remains to be seen (everyone is at WHC right now, so I probably won't know until next week). If he does pull my purchase rights, then I'll entertain offers here.

Keep in mind that I have a BROKEN set. If I do wind-up selling my two books, then you'll be on your own regarding finding TT of Thrones.

Perhaps SubPress or a well known bookseller (like Camelot Books or Clarkesworld) would be willing to act as the third party, perhaps for a additional fee.

Probably not Clarkesworld. Neil Clarke's wife recently lost their unborn child and he's in the process of shutting down the reseller end of his business.

The biggest problem I see with the "escrow" method is that it would put the books in double-jeopardy of being damaged during transit. The boxes would also need to be opened and their contents inspected by the neutral third party before the transaction could close, which would impart some degree of liability onto said party.

It is amazing that a set now has the potential of being reunited. The odds of this were stratospheric.

You think maybe that isn't your business to be talking about on a public forum?

Maybe?

Errr, huh? It's all over Neil Clarke's website! Haven't you been reading his site updates and blog entries? It's public knowledge at this point.

You think maybe that isn't your business to be talking about on a public forum?

Maybe?

It's ok. We've been pretty public about the whole thing. I'll admit we were more public about the loss than we would have normally. I was somewhat necessary given how public the announcement of the baby was. (Heck, even Locus picked it up.)

Anyhow, as to the initial suggestion. I wouldn't mind helping out as impartial third party. My store may be closing, but I'm still around. :)

-Neil

Neil, my condolences on your loss. My sister miscarried once, so I can (somewhat) empathize with what happened. Although discovering this from a routine ultrasound must've been like getting hit in the face out of utter nowhere with a two-ton mallet.

If your services are accessed, good luck with reuniting this set.

There are one or two books on your website that I'm eyeing, but I'm not very fluid at the moment. How long before you think you will've depleted your stock?

Neil, my condolences on your loss. My sister miscarried once, so I can (somewhat) empathize with what happened. Although discovering this from a routine ultrasound must've been like getting hit in the face out of utter nowhere with a two-ton mallet.

Thanks. There was a lot of stuff involved that I didn't mention that made this even worse for us. Honestly, I would have preferred the two-ton mallet. It would have been quick and the moment of pain would have been brief.

There are one or two books on your website that I'm eyeing, but I'm not very fluid at the moment. How long before you think you will've depleted your stock?

The store will be online for months to come, but individual titles are selling out each day. Some things I have more copies of than others, so if there is something your very interested in getting your hands on, email me and we can try to work something out. Perhaps keep it on hold or something.

-Neil

Just wanted to let you all know that the reason there has been no updates is because I've been extremely busy for the last couple of weeks and won't be able to collect any more information for probably another 3 weeks. I've come up with some ideas, however, on trying to find more books, and I'll get started as soon as things aren't so hectic. Basically, I haven't given up or forgotten about this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived