Sandor's bloody cloak in the cedar chest

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but this is an except from GRMM's "The Skin Trade" a short story/novellete he wrong quite a while ago:

"Her bedroom furnishings were a hodge-podge.... and the cedar chest at the foot of the bed. Her mother always used to call it a hope chest. Did little girls still keep hope chests? She didn't think so, at least not around here. Maybe there were still places where hope didn't seem so terribly unrealistic, but this city wasn't one of them... Hope chests were where you kept your future, all the little things that were part of the dreams that taught you to dream when you were a a child."

Love this board and the books! I prefer to just read the board and learn but I thought this was worth posting since I haven’t read anything on this topic. If you are utterly hopelessly romantic Sandor/Sansa shipper (like me) I hope you’ll find this post rather interesting!

I noticed that Sansa kept Sandor’s stained white Kingsguard cloak hidden in a cedar chest beneath her summer silks (I think that the chest went to the vale with her too?)

It got me to wondering if GRRM described the chest being made of cedar wood for a reason. I know that other chests have been described as cedar but I thought it was an interesting notion…so I trawled the internet to see what the Cedar tree symbolises.

While I don’t certainly don’t expect (or want) Sandor’s ferocity and emo to damper too much I wonder if the presence of the cloak in Sansa’s chest may be a reflection of the period of time that he is spending on the Isle itself... she did sincerely pray for him in the sept after all, that the rage inside him would be somewhat gentled.

Anyways here is what I found:

The cedar is the tree of mystics, often associated with the sephiroth tree of Kabbalah, or the Tree of Life in the Garden of Eden.

Cedar symbolizes cleansing/Cedar: Cleanses negative atmospheres. To many cultures it is the “tree of lifeâ€â€¦this is interesting because Sandor may be going through kind sort of physical/mental cleansing on the Quiet Isle…he is at least at least, for the moment, at rest there, as Elder Brother says.

Cedar symbolises - grandeur, might, majesty, dignity, worldly strength, power and glory.

Cedars are mentioned 70 times in the Bible and are called "trees of the Lord."

Cedar (of Lebanon) is also identified with the concepts of beauty and majesty…and we all know Sansa loves beauty and majesty!

Trees used by the Druids in their cosmology and/or alphabet include the Cedar – it represented protection from harm and evil forces…hmm interesting…

The green cedar (Arz in Arabic) (Species: Cedrus libani or Lebanon Cedar) symbolizes immortality and steadiness.

In Hebrew literature the Cedar symbolizes strength. "If the Cedars catcheth thy flame, what will say thy moss...?"( tractate MoEd KaTan 25 ).

Japanese cedar symbolizes the concept of rebirth after a period of dormancy that is central to Japan’s native Shinto beliefs…Eureka!...well Sandor is living in a period of dormancy on the Quite Isle..

Cedar reduces turmoil by physically cleansing and bringing a fresh breath of air to anyone resisting a necessary change. It clarifies messages from the higher self and the universe and promotes a peaceful flow…now if anyone needs his turmoil reducing its Sandor.

I found this one the most interesting!! - Historically, cedar chests were sold as romantic wedding gifts and as "hope chests" for young women to keep special items in anticipation of their marriage. Somebody on the board has said that Sandor already gave Sansa his cloak which she accepted (twice), which is what they exchange instead of wedding rings in Westeros. It’s telling that the second bloody cloak is safely now ensconced in her cedar wood chest…underneath soft silk. I think that this could be a strong hint that Sansa and Sandor are indeed practically married and that she will remain a maiden for him and no one else, the song that he will have from her is actually her maidenhood …but they don’t know it yet.

Any thoughts?

"i was just saying subjecting everyone else to ur rant at heretic is as bad heretic's initial 'crime', u'll find these sorts of ppl n posts everywhere, just let it go and keep it to urself, upping anyones not gonna get us anywhere, its the internet, watta ya gonna do?"

Good call. Sorry 'bout all that. I honestly try to avoid the whole... Being an asshole over the internet just because of anonymity thing. And I try not to take it so seriously as some folks seem to. Internet arguments are generally just silly from an outside perspective. I think I was just tired and grumpy, and he had annoyed me a little with that. So I overreacted. My apologies Heretic, and I'm sorry that I've made such a lame first impression on this board.

Also, thanks Sabzevarian for posting that excerpt. People had mentioned that GRRM had shown the significance of cedar chests before, so I was curious as to what exactly he'd said. Neat.

My mother and sister both have hope chests, and both are made from cedar. When I asked my mom about it she just said that all she knew was that girls put various things in them in anticipation of being married someday, and that she didn't know any more than that (so she was a romantic dead end, in other words). I also like the detail about Sandor's cloak: it is stained by blood and fire (ACOK). It is a shame that it disappeared at KL.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but this is an except from GRMM's "The Skin Trade" a short story/novellete he wrong quite a while ago:

"Her bedroom furnishings were a hodge-podge.... and the cedar chest at the foot of the bed. Her mother always used to call it a hope chest. Did little girls still keep hope chests? She didn't think so, at least not around here. Maybe there were still places where hope didn't seem so terribly unrealistic, but this city wasn't one of them... Hope chests were where you kept your future, all the little things that were part of the dreams that taught you to dream when you were a a child."

Hey that’s very interesting!! I had absolutely no idea GRRM had mentioned a cedar hope chest in “The Skin Tradeâ€

hmmmm….now I’m convinced the cedar chest MUST be Sansa’s hope chest!

Sansa unconsciously kept that bloody cloak because it belonged to him, I think its a sign their fates are intertwined, and the cloak also symbolises two awesomely critical moments in his life, the first where he chooses to abandon the life he knows during the Battle of the Blackwater and the second when he goes to Sansa’s chambers to take her…um…north somewhere…says he’ll never let anyone hurt her again or he’ll kill them etc.etc…. which was his way of proclaiming his undying love!...but then, as we know, he gets confused makes a bit of a mess of it and ends up leaving without little bird.

The cloak in the chest is such a strong link to him, she hid it away safely …and now he is hidden away safely on the Quite Isle. She made the cloak her own/symbolising she made the Dog her own. Yay! :love: their fates are sealed together.

Hmmm…. Sansa prayed for him…dragons have brought magic back into the world…..blood magic is very powerful magic…. the cloak is stained with the blood Sandor shed, she also sang the prayer to him before he ripped it off and left it……and then she sought its protection and hid under it…that cloak must be totally imbibed with magic, lol!

Now WHERE the heck is that chest I wonder? Burned in the Tower of the Hand or with her in the Vale? Ach…my romantic fangirl heart hopes it’s with her!!

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of the cedar chest. I agree with you all there is more between Sandor and Sansa, but it’s all between the lines. But I fear what love is between them, will never get a chance to bloom.

This is what I found, reading between the lines:

Sandor is a novice on the Quiet Isle. In real monasteries, a person is a novice for a year before swearing his vows. Until then, he’s free to leave whenever he wants.

This year is important. Littlefinger also needs ‘one year’ from the lords of the Vale.

Now remember Sansa is in fact still married to Tyrion. In medieval society, when a marriage was not consumed within one year (as in: Sansa not losing her virginity to Tyrion within that period), it was declared void.

So if Tyrion stays wherever he is and keeps his promise to Sansa, she’ll be free after that year. LF knows that, too, that’s why he wants her to get married with Harry the Heir after that year.

But we should not forget Sandor. I think he’ll hear about Sansa before the year is over.

How? Meribald. He’s a priest, and during his stay at the Quiet Isle he listens to the confessions of the brothers. I do believe that includes Sandor. Apart from the Elder Brother, now Meribald too knows the real story behind the gravedigger.

I think there’s a fair chance of Meribald somehow meeting Sansa, or someone close to her, who knows her real identity, such as Myranda Royce.

What Sandor will exactly hear about Sansa, being so close – the Vale is not that far away from the Quiet Isle – is what disturbs me. I think there are two possibilities.

One is that Sansa will indeed (be prepared to) marry Harry the Heir.

The other possibility vexes me even more. I came to this idea because of something Cersei said about Sansa in AFFC. ‘Before I’m finished with her, she’ll be singing to the Stranger and begging him for a kiss.’ Now doesn’t that sound pretty much like what happened in Sansa’s room during the Blackwater battle?

I think the Stranger is in fact foreshadowing to Sandor.

What Cersei probably has in mind, has something to do with Gregorstein. Still, the final clash between the two brothers has yet to come. So I think once Cersei knows of Sansa’s whereabouts, she sends Gregorstein to the Vale in order to kill her.

Remember what LF said, about ‘the most modest person who can ruin someone’s plans’. LF says this referring to Cersei’s plans, and I think GRRM has Meribald or some sparrow in mind to ruin Cersei’s plans.

Imagine what will happen; Gregorstein entering the Vale on an aurochs (this animal has been mentioned so often I think it was meant as foreshadowing) to kill Sansa, Sandor immediately leaving the Quiet Isle to save her and kill his brother. But Sandor is crippled, and I fear he will not be able to withstand his brother.

Or at least be heavily wounded. I think killing Gregorstein is the last thing he does in his life.

That’s when Sansa realizes he would die for her. And realizes what he means to her. I think it will all end with a kiss, a true one, the last thing he’ll get from her before he dies.

Finally the Florian and Jonquil hints. This has been mentioned about 2000 times during the book, so I think it was also meant as foreshadowing to what is going to happen between San and San.

Florian, not being a knight, fights and wins the heart of the noble woman. Isn’t that exactly what will happen between San and San in the end?

Reading this makes my fangirl heart flutter with excitement. And then I remember that George always gives us happy endings... :P

I only hope that they meet again. I don't want to speculate what would happen then, I just want them to see each other one last time.

Some good observations; I wasn't aware of the one year thing. I don't know whether Martin will go by the one year rule or not; after all, this is an imaginary world and doesn't necessarily follow real world rules 100%. Still, I think that there are a lot of things leading to them seeing each other again as well, and I personally can't wait.

Some interesting cloak observations: Sam gives Gilly his cloak, and I am not going to elaborate on how that turned out. :smoking:

When Tyrion tells Bronn about Tysha (as they are trying to leave the Vale after the trial by combat) he tells Bronn about how when he first sees her, he wraps his cloak around her, they eat three chickens together at a local inn, and the rest is history. They marry the next morning. Of course, we all know how that turned out too. I also wonder about whether Tyrion's original marriage is really null and void. This could also have implications for Sansa later, although I don't see anybody really finding out that could have any influence on what happens to her.

I wish we could get more of the Florian and Jonquil stories; there is a little tidbit about them in the Hedge Knight but I would like more.

This year is important.

The observation that you have made about the year being very important for many people is very interesting, I hadn’t actually considered it that way.

I just don’t see Sandor staying permanently on the Isle, I see it as his time to heal outwardly and inwardly, maybe he will leave before the year is through? He’s still got his horse Stranger to take him places….

Interestingly while Sandor may be in the process of discarding his Hound persona during the year, Sansa is at the same time having to take on and perfect her Alayne persona. Sandor was the Hound to protect himself and now Sansa has been forced to become Alayne to protect herself.

You could be right about Sandor hearing about where Sansa is hiding and modest people ruining plans - Ser Shadrich – he may figure out who Sansa is and reveal her disguise. If Sansa is discovered I am sure it won’t be long before the whole realm knows, including the Quiet Isle. But somehow this seems too obvious, Ser Shadrich will probably end up being manipulated into going along with the lie by that scumbag Littlefinger.

People seem to think that Sansa won’t stay a maiden much longer but I will stand by the theory that she will remain a maiden because she is virtually married to Sandor because of the whole cloak symbolism.

Also….her status as a maiden it’s practically drummed into us! Tyron refers to Sansa in AKOK as a maid (in front of Sandor) just after Joffery had her beaten; the whole of Kings Landing knew that she was still a maid despite being married to Tyrion. Sansa tells Lysa and Marillion that she is a maiden, even the person looking for her (Brienne) is a maid herself and she keeps referring to Sansa as a maid. Brienne tops it off by describing her to Elder Brother as a maid…who instantly knew exactly who that particular maid was. Sansa was also had an apartment in the Vale called….the Maidens Tower. Sansa also tells Lady Waynwood “I am a maiden flowered†and then Lord Hunter makes a crude comment about “not deflowered†but ripe of the plucking :stunned: .

I just don’t think GRRM would go to all this trouble to emphasize her virginity unless he was intent for her to remain a maiden until she meets up with Sandor again. I am not saying it will be happy ending but I think they will at least have one time together.

Lastly, Sandor getting news about Sansa has already begun. Sandor will know from Elder Brother exactly what Brienne is up to, that Sansa has someone looking for her and that because she swore a sacred oath to Jaime she is never going to cease looking for her, no matter what happens. I am sure Sandor and Elder Brother must have long conversations about Sansa, so much of his psyche is tied to her now…..perhaps even Elder Brother may have realised that Sandor has strong feelings for her.

SanSan are Florian and Jonquil come again. I think their song will be even more famous.

The observation that you have made about the year being very important for many people is very interesting, I hadn’t actually considered it that way.

I just don’t see Sandor staying permanently on the Isle, I see it as his time to heal outwardly and inwardly, maybe he will leave before the year is through? He’s still got his horse Stranger to take him places….

Interestingly while Sandor may be in the process of discarding his Hound persona during the year, Sansa is at the same time having to take on and perfect her Alayne persona. Sandor was the Hound to protect himself and now Sansa has been forced to become Alayne to protect herself.

You could be right about Sandor hearing about where Sansa is hiding and modest people ruining plans - Ser Shadrich – he may figure out who Sansa is and reveal her disguise. If Sansa is discovered I am sure it won’t be long before the whole realm knows, including the Quiet Isle. But somehow this seems too obvious, Ser Shadrich will probably end up being manipulated into going along with the lie by that scumbag Littlefinger.

People seem to think that Sansa won’t stay a maiden much longer but I will stand by the theory that she will remain a maiden because she is virtually married to Sandor because of the whole cloak symbolism.

Also….her status as a maiden it’s practically drummed into us! Tyron refers to Sansa in AKOK as a maid (in front of Sandor) just after Joffery had her beaten; the whole of Kings Landing knew that she was still a maid despite being married to Tyrion. Sansa tells Lysa and Marillion that she is a maiden, even the person looking for her (Brienne) is a maid herself and she keeps referring to Sansa as a maid. Brienne tops it off by describing her to Elder Brother as a maid…who instantly knew exactly who that particular maid was. Sansa was also had an apartment in the Vale called….the Maidens Tower. Sansa also tells Lady Waynwood “I am a maiden flowered†and then Lord Hunter makes a crude comment about “not deflowered†but ripe of the plucking :stunned: .

I just don’t think GRRM would go to all this trouble to empathise her virginity unless he was intent for her to remain a maiden until she meets up with Sandor again. I am not saying it will be happy ending but I think they will at least have one time together.

Lastly, Sandor getting news about Sansa has already begun. Sandor will know from Elder Brother exactly what Brienne is up to, that Sansa has someone looking for her and that because she swore a sacred oath to Jaime she is never going to cease looking for her, no matter what happens. I am sure Sandor and Elder Brother must have long conversations about Sansa, so much of his psyche is tied to her now…..perhaps even Elder Brother may have realised that Sandor has strong feelings for her.

SanSan are Florian and Jonquil come again. I think their song will be even more famous.

The maiden emphasis is important, especially with Sansa's story (she is like a maiden in songs, no less), but people also refer to young girls between girlhood and womanhood as "maids" too (I think "maiden" is more akin to "virgin"); but this has to be important. Sandor pretty much wilted in the inn when he got the info that Tyrion had married Sansa. This also implies that there is a VERY interesting story lurking behind Tyrion and Sandor's apparent hatred toward one another (at the time when Tyrion married his first wife Tysha).

Another thing that I noticed in AGOT - and I know this has been mentioned before but a few more observations:Ned said that he would make a match for Sansa with a strong, gentle and brave man. Think about it: all of Sansa's POV's describe all that "almost gently," "not ungently," "too strong to fight," "strong arm shoved her back in her saddle," "you were so brave, when you saved me from the mob." I am trying to remember if she even thinks of any other person in those terms, and I can't come up with anyone. Except maybe her own father, and I don't think she ever even thinks of her father in those terms, except that the first time she backs into Sandor, she thinks it is her father. She does think of Petyr once as being bold, but it was put in the context of her trying to justify his killing of someone, or pulling some political stunt in AFFC (can't remember).

The other possibility vexes me even more. I came to this idea because of something Cersei said about Sansa in AFFC. ‘Before I’m finished with her, she’ll be singing to the Stranger and begging him for a kiss.’ Now doesn’t that sound pretty much like what happened in Sansa’s room during the Blackwater battle?

I think the Stranger is in fact foreshadowing to Sandor.

You mean, you think Sandor is going to die? Cersei's line is too oddly worded not to mean something, but I took it less as foreshadowing and more as a nice little touch of irony. Sandor does have a sort of mysterious Stranger-like quality, what with repeatedly popping out of the shadows at people.

Interesting point about the one year, by the way.

I only hope that they meet again. I don't want to speculate what would happen then, I just want them to see each other one last time.

I agree. Even if they both die of a pox five pages later, I'd like to see their story--whatever it may be--resolved.

I just don’t think GRRM would go to all this trouble to empathise her virginity unless he was intent for her to remain a maiden until she meets up with Sandor again.

I agree that GRRM seems to have gone out of his way to emphasize Sansa's maidenhood. In fact, he keeps faking out the loss of said maidenhood. Sansa's been caught by the mob, they're going to rape her! No, false alarm. Sansa's in her marriage bed, she's going to lose her virginity to Tyrion! Nope, wrong again. Joffrey's making plans to turn her into his mistress! Uh-uh, brat's dead. Marillion's puttin' his scummy hand on Sansa's breast, he's going to rape her! No, Lothor to the rescue.

But alas, I don't think it necessarily means he's building it up to a Sansa/Sandor sex scene. I just think he's emphasizing her storybook innocence and damsel-in-distress personality.

This also implies that there is a VERY interesting story lurking behind Tyrion and Sandor's apparent hatred toward one another

I don't really see how they hated each other pre-Blackwater battle. Tyrion regarded Sandor as nothing more than the hired help, but I don't really see any evidence of hate, exactly. More like a "stay in your place and we'll get along just fine" kind of attitude. Likewise, Sandor didn't seem to think much of Tyrion, but I wouldn't say it was hate until Tyrion started sending him into fires. But I've seen several people mention this supposed animosity, so maybe I'm just missing something.

Sandor pretty much wilted in the inn when he got the info that Tyrion had married Sansa. This also implies that there is a VERY interesting story lurking behind Tyrion and Sandor's apparent hatred toward one another (at the time when Tyrion married his first wife Tysha).

Yes I got the impression that Sandor absolutely loathes Tyrion, its simply not just dislike. Tyrion on the other hand didn’t seem to like or hate Sandor. I am sure that there is a very interesting reason for Sandor’s loathing of Tyrion…I reckon it’s all tied up with Tysha being raped by all those men and lastly Tyrion. It will all be revealed in a later book methinks.

“Wilt†is also a good description of Sandor’s reaction upon hearing the news that his little bird has been married off to the dwarf he hates, he actually had to sit down on the bench to take it all in, poor guy.

The maiden emphasis is important, especially with Sansa's story (she is like a maiden in songs, no less), but people also refer to young girls between girlhood and womanhood as "maids" too (I think "maiden" is more akin to "virgin"); but this has to be important. Sandor pretty much wilted in the inn when he got the info that Tyrion had married Sansa. This also implies that there is a VERY interesting story lurking behind Tyrion and Sandor's apparent hatred toward one another (at the time when Tyrion married his first wife Tysha).

Another thing that I noticed in AGOT - and I know this has been mentioned before but a few more observations:Ned said that he would make a match for Sansa with a strong, gentle and brave man. Think about it: all of Sansa's POV's describe all that "almost gently," "not ungently," "too strong to fight," "strong arm shoved her back in her saddle," "you were so brave, when you saved me from the mob." I am trying to remember if she even thinks of any other person in those terms, and I can't come up with anyone. Except maybe her own father, and I don't think she ever even thinks of her father in those terms, except that the first time she backs into Sandor, she thinks it is her father. She does think of Petyr once as being bold, but it was put in the context of her trying to justify his killing of someone, or pulling some political stunt in AFFC (can't remember).

I've been thinking about something I read in AFFC. When Sansa/Alayne meets Myranda Royce, Myranda tells her how her husband died and then asks Sansa something like 'you do know what happens between a husband and a wife, do you?'

(My books are upstairs and I'm too lazy to look the exact phrase up).

Before answering that question, Sansa thinks of Tyrion, but, which quite amazed me, also of Sandor!

I think that is very important. It implicates she thinks (or even has been thinking of) what it would be like to make love to Sandor.

I believe it also has something to do to with the Blackwaterbattle/final SanSan-scene. He held her very close, so I assume she felt "something". But it was the knife that scared her, not that other thing which was pushing so hard against her.

I don't really see how they hated each other pre-Blackwater battle. Tyrion regarded Sandor as nothing more than the hired help, but I don't really see any evidence of hate, exactly. More like a "stay in your place and we'll get along just fine" kind of attitude. Likewise, Sandor didn't seem to think much of Tyrion, but I wouldn't say it was hate until Tyrion started sending him into fires. But I've seen several people mention this supposed animosity, so maybe I'm just missing something.

I see the animosity as being set up from the start with there confrontation outside Winterfell in AGOT. However, the most telling is from the Sandor/Sansa Blackwater scene when he says:

"Bloody dwarf. Should have killed him. Years ago."

Why Years Ago? Did Tyrion do something Sandor thought of killing him for? Did Cersei ask him to, but he refused? Whatever it was, it seems that some time long before the Blackwater Sandor gave serious consideration to killing Tyrion. As Tyrion is part of his lieges family and, with the exception of Cersei, most of them don't seem like they would have taken kindly to his murder it is a pretty major thing to have considered.

Throw in all the clues that Tyrion is going to get a dragon, Sandor's fear of fire, Tyrion recognizing that fear with surprise after the riot when he sends him out with Bronn to protect the water wagons and again at the Blackwater, Sandors comment to Sansa after the Hand's turney about the fool who once asked if was dragonsbreath that caused his scars, and Ned's comments that are also a general theme in the story that the only time a man can be brave is when he is afraid and there are the pretty clear makings of an ugly confrontation coming up that will be GRRMs take on the fantasy staple of someone fighting a dragon. Personally I'm hoping it is also a take on the fantasy staple of the dragonslayer, but while I think the hints that this confrontation is going to take place are overwhelming, I don't see any strong hints yet of how its actually going to turn out.

I see the animosity as being set up from the start with there confrontation outside Winterfell in AGOT. However, the most telling is from the Sandor/Sansa Blackwater scene when he says:

Why Years Ago? Did Tyrion do something Sandor thought of killing him for? Did Cersei ask him to, but he refused? Whatever it was, it seems that some time long before the Blackwater Sandor gave serious consideration to killing Tyrion. As Tyrion is part of his lieges family and, with the exception of Cersei, most of them don't seem like they would have taken kindly to his murder it is a pretty major thing to have considered.

Throw in all the clues that Tyrion is going to get a dragon, Sandor's fear of fire, Tyrion recognizing that fear with surprise after the riot when he sends him out with Bronn to protect the water wagons and again at the Blackwater, Sandors comment to Sansa after the Hand's turney about the fool who once asked if was dragonsbreath that caused his scars, and Ned's comments that are also a general theme in the story that the only time a man can be brave is when he is afraid and there are the pretty clear makings of an ugly confrontation coming up that will be GRRMs take on the fantasy staple of someone fighting a dragon. Personally I'm hoping it is also a take on the fantasy staple of the dragonslayer, but while I think the hints that this confrontation is going to take place are overwhelming, I don't see any strong hints yet of how its actually going to turn out.

Also, to go with that quote you gave up above, he says he wants Tyrion burned, if the gods are good. He wants Tyrion to suffer from the most painful thing possible (as far as he sees it): burning. He also mentions at one point that he hope Cersei dips Tyrion in wildfire (or something to that effect).

I have a very crackpot theory on this.

My crackpot theory is that the 'crofter's daughter' Tysha was actually Sandor's sister, who had disguised herself in order to flee Gregor.

Other than a brief reference to the Cleganes having a sister who died mysteriously, there's no absolutely no evidence for this whatsoever. But it would tie up some loose ends!

Great crackpot. This would make for a cool side story. It could happen...although Sandor and Gregor were probably known to the Lannisters, it would be feasible that a young daughter may never have left her home and been seen by others and therefore was not recognized by Lannisters, Tyrion or otherwise. But would Sandor have figured it out/seen the gang rape scene for himself? As I recall he would be 15 or 16 so it would be likely that he could have possibly witnessed it. And been sickened. And want Tyrion to suffer lots of burning.

Archived