Goodkind XIX: Making spaghetti bounce since 1994!

WLU

While I'm sure you all know this already, I feel the need to point out that WFR now has a miniseries in production. I just wanted to share the summary I pulled off the IMDB website, because . . . wow.

Millions of readers the world over have been held spellbound by this valiant tale vividly told. Now, enter Terry Goodkind's world, the world of The Sword of Truth. In the aftermath of the brutal murder of his father, a mysterious woman, Kahlan Amnell, appears in Richard Cypher's forest sanctuary seeking help...and more. His world, his very beliefs, are shattered when ancient debts come due with thundering violence. In their darkest hour, hunted relentlessly, tormented by treachery and loss, Kahlan calls upon Richard to reach beyond his sword-to invoke within himself something more noble. Neither knows that the rules of battle have just changed...or that their time has run out. This is the beginning. One story. One Rule. Witness the birth of a legend.

:sick:

This is not to say I won't watch it. I'm actually intensely curious about whether it would be an improvement over the book. But still, this summary. God. It says it was written by Tor Fantasy. I almost want to say Tairy wrote it himself (as a good objectivist shouldn't let others speak for him) but the writing's too good.

While I'm sure you all know this already, I feel the need to point out that WFR now has a miniseries in production. I just wanted to share the summary I pulled off the IMDB website, because . . . wow.

:sick:

This is not to say I won't watch it. I'm actually intensely curious about whether it would be an improvement over the book. But still, this summary. God. It says it was written by Tor Fantasy. I almost want to say Tairy wrote it himself (as a good objectivist shouldn't let others speak for him) but the writing's too good.

Yeah, Goodkind's summary would be something like this:

Wacth this mini-sereis. Their are many themes of important moral issues, like Individuality, and Communism, the scum of the earth. It will help you get moral clarity and find you your place in this world.

OK, I'll provide this one. If Richard is the Bringer of Death, would he carry Death in his pocket, like Death of Rats?

Unfortunately the library saw fit to povide me with the first edition hardcover; it's basically right before Richard has his first headache, and the Mud People are attacked by the screeling. It's around page 75 or so in the hardcover. I'm reading really slowly, just because it's so fucking awful. The only thing that's gotten me this far is the skim reading - there generally isn't anything complicated enough to make me read it thoroughly. I'll try to get the exact page number tonight.

Its cool, don't worry about it- I'll dig out my very old Stone of Tears and find it, so that I may mock it whenever I see fit.

But seriously... How does shit like that get published? Is this not what editors are for? To ensure that you don't repeat the word "laugh" 40 times in a paragraph when you can be concise? My faith in the publication industry continues to be shaken.

Edit: Wow, a miniseries? My faith in the film industry continues to be shaken.

Yeah, Goodkind's summary would be something like this:

Wacth this mini-sereis. Their are many themes of important moral issues, like Individuality, and Communism, the scum of the earth. It will help you get moral clarity and find you your place in this world.

Naw, it would be very similar to the summary they have. It would just include a line about watching Richard scream in anguish as bits of brain and bone spattered his face. And it would be at least three times as long, to include every possible variant on the line, "to invoke within himself something more noble."

Do not try to make sense of this or you will go insane, just like many of us have.

Heh...reading the threads here I'm halfway tempted to actually try and last through book 4 and further...

Am I masochistic?

...on second thought, who am I asking ;)

Love the term "Lemmings of Discord" btw, awesome job, folks ;)

*refrains from hailing*

I'm German and I kinda have some aversions against Hailing...well, TG apparently has different views there :P

You can all stop holding your breath now; I have returned! I know it's been torture these last couple of days without me, but I promise to make it up to you with witty remarks and such.

Welcome back, Myshkin. You were missed. Really. ;)

Do we have a production date for the SoT movie? Raimi is finished with Spidey, so perhaps this one is next?

I believe it's going to be a mini-series. Hopefully it will be out soon, I can't wait to see how ridiculous it is!

Disneychannel would be pretty fitting.

It could come on right after Blue's Clues.

At least the audience might enjoy it.

Quite a kids' show. Jaw kicking fun.

"Five! Five kicks in the jaw. Mwahhahahahahaha!" *thunder in the background*

If Disney will stoop low enough to produce awful sequels for more money, why not promote child kicking for cash while they're at it?

Mmmm, child kicking.

But just imagine all the lawsuits Disney will get when parents start mirroring Richard, and blame Disney for it.

I believe it's going to be a mini-series. Hopefully it will be out soon, I can't wait to see how ridiculous it is!

Do not diss it prematurely - if it is still being directed by Sam Raimi, imagine Bruce Campbell in the role of Richard Rahl (ok, not really fair to Bruce, but if anyone could play that part and be cool, it would be him, imho)...

EDIT: Although my thread is closed, mystar's last post is rather interesting - it contains the Answer why Terry Goodkind's work puts the lie to our existence.

Before you read it, remember: do NOT go and troll on other boards, it is bad form. Also, there are intelligent people among the fans as well - not everyone of them is as...thick...as mystar. So please, try not to generalize so much (just because one of the fans is an idiot, does not mean that all are like this).

Exactly.

Too bad not everyone understands the two-way nature of that statement.

However, this is exactly why whelp, et al for reasons to continue a tired old past time of mockery and vulgarity. They don't see or assume they see someone here condoning gang rape; they take out of context what was stated only stating what they want it to say, which puts a lie to their existence. You can imply anyone saying anything to support your position, however only on will be correct the other a fool showing they are afraid of the truth.

It really boils down to the point of myshkin, whelp, mad moose et al, taking a sliver of truth and plying it with conjecture and misinformation to twist what it is they find abhorrent.... The Nobility of man and his right to freedom. By making such inaccurate statements as Richard commanded his army to the old world to kill innocent women and children, when nowhere in the series did Richard say or give such an order, When These people hold as abhorrent the right to defend oneself from the onslaught, when they ridicule and mock such noble values as freedom and morality portrayed, when they do so and in the same breath praise another author for such things, thus comes the lie to their existence. They wish to claim the high ground, yet they are only able to misrepresent facts and truth in an attempt to make others assume they are correct in their rhetoric.

They are not concerned with facts or truth, only in mocking what they are incapable of understanding. Fact is fact. Not one of them however will acknowledge all the facts that would prove them wrong expose their fraudulent intent and prove to those whom they seek to dissuade what utter fools they are. For hiding the truth, covering with misinformation and twisting facts they make an omission. They prove what twisted and empty people they are.

Not only by starting, but continuing their campaign to obfuscate the facts, mock and ridicule anyone who would thing to read the series, they put the lie to their existence. On one hand they claim to "understand" then turn around and summarily dismiss such actions as truth, honor, respect for fellow human beings, Morality, integrity and the sanctity of freedom.

The list of facts these small few sad individuals hide from their own mind, and in turn try to hide from others is vast. They fail in their endeavor however as Goodkind's series is one of the fastest growing, not only in the fantasy genera, but also mainstream fiction. Goodkind's sales have passed the 30 million mark in sales world wide, they are dumb founded and cannot understand why, so they try all the harder to mock and sped their hatred. Unfortunately for them, in the end all their actions do is to show how foolish and close-minded they are. By not understanding that people see right through their petty attempts, they show how shallow and sad their lives truly are. Thus putting the lie to their existence.

Not one of those people is truly bad people. They are someone's friend, son, daughter, father, mother, and brother, sister.... They have lives, feelings and I'm sure are good people...honorable in most things. But the fact that they engage in such vulgar tactics shows the root of evil that man can succumb to if he allows himself to.

People this very message is at the heart of the Sword of Truth series. No one here believes that there are not inconsistencies in the series...its a work of fiction. It's a story of make-believe, but the morals are there, the deeper understanding of man's nobility and also the evil he can succumb to are very real. To twist that, to hide that truth from others puts the lie to the existence of those who try.

I have and always will state that I am a passionate man. I fight for what I hold sacred and dear…to the bitter end. I will defend my family, my friends and those whose cause I believe in. I am far from eloquent with most of my words. I may lack some skills in spelling and punctuation, but you will not find me hiding or twisting the truth.

Aww. So now we're dishonorable and evil and sad. *sigh*

I just like to say that the material we get from our mocking and parodies come from Tairy and his works--direct quotes from the books or interviews. We didn't magic it out of thin air.

And for one thing, IIRC, there is a scene where Richard orders his men to just about slaughter the people in Jagang's kingdom. I think this is where he orders his men to do guerrilla warfare on Jagang's kingdom and salt the fields. Moose, Great Being that you are, am I right?

Ah, nobility. Such an easy word to write and say.

Aww. So now we're dishonorable and evil and sad. *sigh*

(...)

Ah, nobility. Such an easy word to write and say.

That we are, milady - branded so by an honourable man, none the less, so it must be true.

:D

Mystar truely is out of his mind, isn't he? He is a sad little man, living in his own sad little world. A douchebag living vicariously through another douchebag. I actually feel sorry for him now.

And such an honorable man he is. :D

Mystar truely is out of his mind, isn't he? He is a sad little man, living in his own sad little world. A douchebag living vicariously through another douchebag. I actually feel sorry for him now.

Well said, Myshkin. Well said.

And for one thing, IIRC, there is a scene where Richard orders his men to just about slaughter the people in Jagang's kingdom. I think this is where he orders his men to do guerrilla warfare on Jagang's kingdom and salt the fields. Moose, Great Being that you are, am I right?

Partly. I don't recall that Dick specifically sent his troops to kill innocent people (though his definition of that and mine may be different). He wants his soldiers to kill recruits, burn cities (I'm sure no one gets hurt) and salt fields (this certainly won't result in the slow starvation of anyone) and take the ears of the IO priesthood (only after their dead, to be sure).

edit: I think he refers to our existence being a lie three times in that speech. Bravo. But if our existence is a lie, then we don't exist. So who's he bitching about? He's some kind of maniac.

Archived