Crackpot Theories... Anyone have a complete list?

The_BlauerDragon

Well, of course, because everyone knows that anything anyone does in this series is because LF is really behind it :cool:

Ever heard the theorie that LF was the mage that gelded Varys? (and, as such, LF has control over him)

Ever heard the theorie that LF was the mage that gelded Varys? (and, as such, LF has control over him)

That makes total sense ! Can't you remember LF Saying (paraphrasing here): "I hold the man's balls in the palm of my hand"?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to the series, just doing one read through and preparing for a second once my roomates are finsihed with my books, but I have a question that I've seen referenced on the boards. I've read through half this post and many others on this board and keep seeing mention of the "Great Other." I dont remember this from the book and maybe I missed it, but what is the background on the Great Other? Is it referenced in aDwD spoiler chapter or a SSM?

The Great Other is an unseen character in the heart of winter. I believe that there are numerous sources for the concept, but

The Great Other is a holiday figure (comparable to Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny) that seems to exist only in the imagination of Bran. Every year, Bran sits in a pumpkin patch (apparently the same one every year, though one year he and Summer were caught on a privately owned pumpkin patch, and perceived by the owner's daughter as crazy) on a holiday night waiting for the Great Other to appear. Invariably, the Great Other fails to appear, and a humiliated but undefeated Bran vows to wait for him again the following holiday.

There is a special deleted chapter that was the source of the most famous quote regarding Bran and the Great Other: "There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Other." :leaving:

Okay, in all seriousness, it comes from a Davos Chapter (The one where Mel had him imprisoned). She tells him that the faith of the seven is false...yada,yada,yada... then she delivers her sales pitch for R'hllor, and she talks about his enemy, the "Great Other".

The Great Other is an unseen character in the heart of winter. I believe that there are numerous sources for the concept, but

The Great Other is a holiday figure (comparable to Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny) that seems to exist only in the imagination of Bran. Every year, Bran sits in a pumpkin patch (apparently the same one every year, though one year he and Summer were caught on a privately owned pumpkin patch, and perceived by the owner's daughter as crazy) on a holiday night waiting for the Great Other to appear. Invariably, the Great Other fails to appear, and a humiliated but undefeated Bran vows to wait for him again the following holiday.

There is a special deleted chapter that was the source of the most famous quote regarding Bran and the Great Other: "There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Other." :leaving:

Okay, in all seriousness, it comes from a Davos Chapter (The one where Mel had him imprisoned). She tells him that the faith of the seven is false...yada,yada,yada... then she delivers her sales pitch for R'hllor, and she talks about his enemy, the "Great Other".

I understand, thanks for the reply. I was a little confused for a bit because I was thinking people were referring to some powerful being that controlled the "Others" beyond the wall, some kind of super villian. From the context of that quote it could be related to the "Others" at the wall, or one of the seemingly thousands of gods and anti-gods that exist in GRRM's universe.

I understand, thanks for the reply. I was a little confused for a bit because I was thinking people were referring to some powerful being that controlled the "Others" beyond the wall, some kind of super villian. From the context of that quote it could be related to the "Others" at the wall, or one of the seemingly thousands of gods and anti-gods that exist in GRRM's universe.

There are also some who think that The Great Other (if, as mentioned above, it is involved with the creatures we know as the Others, rather than just being a coincidentaly titled we-don't-speak-it's-name thing) may be what Bran glimpsed at the heart of winter just before he woke up. I don't have the book with me at the moment, but I think that part went something like this: "Bran looked beyond the edge of the world and even further, through a curtain of cold into the heart of winter. He cried out in terror and his tears were hot on his frozen cheeks. 'Now,' said the Three Eyed Crow, 'You know why you must live.' 'Because Winter is coming,' said Bran." Something like that, anyway. There are a lot of readers who think that Bran saw something (The Great Other, the Others doing something - like massing for an invasion, or some other scary thing or event) that has convinced him that he needs to do battle with/stop whatever it is and save the world from The Long Night (is that what it's called?).

What I think is cool about all this is that there seems to be some crossover belief among the different faiths of this Big Bad Scary Dark Thing that's going to plunge the world into eternal darkness and cold if Some Big Badass Hero doesn't do something about it.

• 2 weeks later...
There are also some who think that The Great Other (if, as mentioned above, it is involved with the creatures we know as the Others, rather than just being a coincidentaly titled we-don't-speak-it's-name thing) may be what Bran glimpsed at the heart of winter just before he woke up. I don't have the book with me at the moment, but I think that part went something like this: "Bran looked beyond the edge of the world and even further, through a curtain of cold into the heart of winter. He cried out in terror and his tears were hot on his frozen cheeks. 'Now,' said the Three Eyed Crow, 'You know why you must live.' 'Because Winter is coming,' said Bran." Something like that, anyway. There are a lot of readers who think that Bran saw something (The Great Other, the Others doing something - like massing for an invasion, or some other scary thing or event) that has convinced him that he needs to do battle with/stop whatever it is and save the world from The Long Night (is that what it's called?).

What I think is cool about all this is that there seems to be some crossover belief among the different faiths of this Big Bad Scary Dark Thing that's going to plunge the world into eternal darkness and cold if Some Big Badass Hero doesn't do something about it.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the Others end up being innocent ice-beings trying to flee south from some powerful evil force that has arisen in the north (perhaps one made of fire)?

Wouldn't it be ironic if the Others end up being innocent ice-beings trying to flee south from some powerful evil force that has arisen in the north (perhaps one made of fire)?

Mmm, nice one :thumbsup:

Actually, someone on the "If ASoI&F Were Written by Other Authors" thread said that if Tim Burton wrote it, the Others would be "tragically beautiful." So... if your theory above is true, are Tim Burton and GRRM are really the same person? There's a crackpot theory for you... ;)

Mmm, nice one :thumbsup:

Actually, someone on the "If ASoI&F Were Written by Other Authors" thread said that if Tim Burton wrote it, the Others would be "tragically beautiful." So... if your theory above is true, are Tim Burton and GRRM are really the same person? There's a crackpot theory for you... ;)

I'm not quite certain that counts, but it is definitely crackpot.

I figured out Brienne's final chapter. The tree was not far from Stoneheart, and being that she was bitterly driven by rage and betrayal more than a sense of justice, she probably wanted to stay and savor the moment. But of course there's only one word that could give un-Cat cause to stop the whole hanging immediately.

Brienne obviously cried, "Hodor!"

• 1 month later...

My Theory:

The Second Age of Heroes comes to Westeros.

Bran the Builder will be reincarnated as Brand.

Azhor A'hai will come back as Jon Snow.

Tyrion Lannister will be the new Lann the Clever.

Daenerys' will be Nymeria with her 10,000 ships.

The Children of the Forest will be back.

• 2 weeks later...
I say Syrio is a faceless man hired by LF in order to abduct Arya. Woo?

Really? He's a pretty pathetic excuse for a kidnapper then. Now, if Jaq-Alchem-Pate FM turns out to be working for LF then I'll be ecstatic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
My Theory:

The Second Age of Heroes comes to Westeros.

Bran the Builder will be reincarnated as Brand.

Azhor A'hai will come back as Jon Snow.

Tyrion Lannister will be the new Lann the Clever.

Daenerys' will be Nymeria with her 10,000 ships.

The Children of the Forest will be back.

Nice! One more, Great Other = Winter (capital "W")

Winter is Coming. Literally. :D

I just had a little musing moment that I felt belonged here. It has long been theorized that Brienne is a direct descendant of Ser Duncan the Tall (Dunk from The Hedge Knight). I have a very strong suspicion that Brienne's last chapter might have featured her being hung from the exact same tree that Dunk buried his former master under, the tree that he was actually knighted under (if my memory serves me). I have to wonder if there is not some extra significance to that.

Archived