Worst Book of All Time

themaninblack

I can understand people not liking King Rat, to each their own and that jazz, but calling it the WORST BOOK ever?

I am slack jawed...you really must hate Mieville...(IMO, King Rat is his best novel, with the cavaet that I haven't read The Scar or Un Lun Dun)

Yeah, I honestly disliked the book that much. It was bad enough that I won't ever try another one of his books no matter the reviews. But yes, to each their own and all that. I just really could not stand his style or the way he tried to present it.

I started reading Salvatore's 'The Thousand Orcs' but only managed a few pages, one of the dwarves was called 'Tred McKnuckles' and the name bugged me so much that I gave up there and then. You would have thought he could have come up with a better name than that... (imo)

Salvatore stole that name from a female Proctologist. Her name was Tred McKnuckles.

The worst Sci-Fi book I've ever read - Childhood's End.

Thats twice now Childhoods End! I can understand not liking it, but worst ever? It's only 150 pages or so, and it's at least competently written (I think it's some of the loveliest prose i've ever read, but then it is one of my favorite books...) It's hardly a painful or boring read by any standard.

The issue seems to be devided into books that are throughly boring, bland and trite and those that are bizzare and/or offensive to the point of completely overpowring any other merits they may have.

A book thats really, genuinely, exceedingly bad is one that manages to combine, somehow, these basically contradictory traits.

I second The Crimson Petal and the White - starts iteresting, gets wierd, gets boring wierd, gets annoying wierd, and the just gets annoying, and theres still 800 pages to go. (I stopped at that point). And The Knight - which is the first Gene Wolfe i've read and really really really wanted to like. But can't.

However, the worst book ever, and so long as there are threads dedicated to bad books, no matter how long I have't posted I will be there to point out this usually overlooked marvel (everyone needs something to do in life).

Runelord, David Farland.

Runelords was shitty. What gets me is that I keep seeing people recommend this series as a good one. It's not. Word to the wise: If you're thinking about reading this series, DON'T!!!! It's shitty.

i'm so glad I read some of Terry Goodkind's books BEFORE picking up George R. R. Martin, because I mean WOW... I tried to go back and read Blood of the Fold, and I almost slit my wrist with the whole Tobias Brogan and all... I'd really have to go with Soul of The Fire was the worst in the series... O wait... I forgot about Pillars of Creation. It had to have been the worst plot twist in all of literature.

Overall, I can't really come up with the end all sucky fantasy book, but Pillars is definantly up there.

I would like to nominate Acorna: The Unicorn Girl by Anne McCaffery and some no name who may or may not have ghostwritten it. Left Runelords in the dust in terms of sheer stupidity. Cannot believe this dreck has spawned a bunch of sequels.

I think I only read the first Runelords book. It certainly wasn't that good , but I don't remember it sucking to the extent everyone is claiming. More like I'd read this kind of crap 200 times before and this was just another undifferentiated bit of the sort of fantasy that seems to be mass produced these days.

Robert Newcomb's 5th Sorceress. :thumbsdown:

And I blame this board for tricking me into picking it up. Well, the old board. :) Someone had a link in their signature for "Robert Newcomb's Fanpage". I never clicked it, but I kept seeing it, so when I was in the book store to pick up a paper back for vacation, the name sprang to mind and I bought the damned thing... The prologue had me thinking, "Huh? Who would recommend this drivel?" Then the whole "I'm the best looking prince and the best warrior" internal monologue had me gagging. I pushed through the first 100 pages (well, I was trapped on an airplane) before I saying enough and picked up the airline shopping catalog (ooh! dog stairs!). I came back to the board and clicked the "fanpage" link and saw something similar to the Goodkind threads here. Bastard. :tantrum:

I met Newcomb's editor at a writer's conference. I wanted to shake her and ask her what she was thinking in picking him up. But then I remembered that I might want her to pick up my own book someday and refrained. (Most of of her writers are very good)

RE: Robert Stanek

I think I have a book of his... If it's the same guy, I met him on some forum and he was offering free books to generate some online reviews. Wanting to support a new writer, I said I'd read it and review it. well, I couldn't get through five pages of his self-published novel. It's still in the beneath my night stand I think. Anyone want it? :)

1. gravity's rainbow. I'm sure people on here love it and are going to accuse me of not getting it (sure) or hating post-modern works (not true) but this was the most painful reading experience of my life.

2. that book with the long title that I always forget that every cutesy/"quirky" livejournal girl loves. the perks of being a wallflower! worst.

Robert Newcomb's 5th Sorceress. :thumbsdown:

RE: Robert Stanek

I think I have a book of his... If it's the same guy, I met him on some forum and he was offering free books to generate some online reviews. Wanting to support a new writer, I said I'd read it and review it. well, I couldn't get through five pages of his self-published novel. It's still in the beneath my night stand I think. Anyone want it? :)

Please, you have to finish these two books. The only reason Roberts Newcomb and Stanek don't have their own Goodkind-esque bashing threads on this board is because nobody has been able to finish their books. I nominate you to read these books, gather all the ammunition, and start a bashing thread for each of these authors.

1. gravity's rainbow. I'm sure people on here love it and are going to accuse me of not getting it (sure) or hating post-modern works (not true) but this was the most painful reading experience of my life.

While I don't agree with you, I can see where you're coming from. Thomas Pynchon is an extremely difficult author to read. Personally I didn't like Gravity's Rainbow all that much, but V was a masterpiece.

Please, you have to finish these two books. The only reason Roberts Newcomb and Stanek don't have their own Goodkind-esque bashing threads on this board is because nobody has been able to finish their books. I nominate you to read these books, gather all the ammunition, and start a bashing thread for each of these authors.

While I thank you for the honor and trust placed on me for the good of the whole, I fear for my sanity upon completion of just one of these books, let alone both.

I must decline.

:)

Whew. Dodged that one.

While I thank you for the honor and trust placed on me for the good of the whole, I fear for my sanity upon completion of just one of these books, let alone both.

I must decline.

:)

Whew. Dodged that one.

Well, then you're gonna have to find someone else to do it. Seriously, these guys need their own bashing threads. I was just over at Newcomb's website and found a post where he claims that GRRM bashed him in a private converstation, but he feels vindicated because he's heard that Tairy Goodkind supports his writting. If that's not bash-worthy I don't know what is.

Well, then you're gonna have to find someone else to do it. Seriously, these guys need their own bashing threads. I was just over at Newcomb's website and found a post where he claims that GRRM bashed him in a private converstation, but he feels vindicated because he's heard that Tairy Goodkind supports his writting. If that's not bash-worthy I don't know what is.

Seriously? I can't imagine GRRM bashing anyone at all.

Archived