NY/NJ Meetup?

naz

So, after some driving around today I realized the parks I went to are nice but have reserved picnic areas. Plus they're not as easy to get to. Laurel Hill in Secaucus, to my dismay, is also a bad choice. No picnic area to speak of.

This led me to realize that the best place may be Liberty State Park in Jersey City.

It:

-is convenient for NYers (PATH/light rail or ferry)

-is convenient for drivers (off the NJ Turnpike)

-is convenient for Philadelphia ppl (NJ Transit to Hoboken and then light rail)

-has lots of fields and picnic areas (bbq allowed, but we need our own charcoal grill - not a prob)

-has plenty of parking

-has a great view of NY Harbor

-is close to downtown Jersey City or Hoboken in case we decide to go to a bar/restaurant afterwards., Heck, Manhattan's just a PATH ride away.

-is close to the newly expanded Liberty Science Center, with the largest IMAX theater in the country

-has a 60-acre salt marsh, nature preserve and interpretive center

-is a great place to fly kites

The only problem (not for me, but for others) is that, officially, no alcoholic beverages are allowed. But I've rarely seen this enforced and we can always be discreet by using cups rather than cans/bottles - and by not getting fall-down-drunk. Worst case scenario is that we hang out, picnic for a while, and then head over to a bar in JC.

Feedback?

So, after some driving around today I realized the parks I went to are nice but have reserved picnic areas. Plus they're not as easy to get to. Laurel Hill in Secaucus, to my dismay, is also a bad choice. No picnic area to speak of.

This led me to realize that the best place may be Liberty State Park in Jersey City.

It:

-is convenient for NYers (PATH/light rail or ferry)

-is convenient for drivers (off the NJ Turnpike)

-is convenient for Philadelphia ppl (NJ Transit to Hoboken and then light rail)

-has lots of fields and picnic areas (bbq allowed, but we need our own charcoal grill - not a prob)

-has plenty of parking

-has a great view of NY Harbor

-is close to downtown Jersey City or Hoboken in case we decide to go to a bar/restaurant afterwards., Heck, Manhattan's just a PATH ride away.

-is close to the newly expanded Liberty Science Center, with the largest IMAX theater in the country

-has a 60-acre salt marsh, nature preserve and interpretive center

-is a great place to fly kites

The only problem (not for me, but for others) is that, officially, no alcoholic beverages are allowed. But I've rarely seen this enforced and we can always be discreet by using cups rather than cans/bottles - and by not getting fall-down-drunk. Worst case scenario is that we hang out, picnic for a while, and then head over to a bar in JC.

Feedback?

"Turnpike" and "convenient" really shouldn't be anywhere near each other, but this sounds like a really good choice; I was thinking of bringing it up, but I've never really been there, only seen it/driven past it.

So, is everyone ok with a picnic at Liberty State Park this Sunday Aug 26th around noonish? If so, post here if you're definite/probable and we'll start organizing this thing. I'll edit the original post with names and details.

The SO is off that weekend (and he has the car), so I'm working on him "yes, you really really do want to come with me on a 2 hour drive on the NJ Turnpike assuming no traffic to meet internet fantasy fans. They're normal- really!". Otherwise, the train ride from Philly turns out to be several hours. So put me down as a tentative and I'll let you know when I know.

TC,

Post #1 now has links to directions and info. It's fairly easy to get to, but if anyone gets confused by the multiple transfer points, they can give me a call and I can pick them up from Hoboken or JC. I'll post more info about where exactly to meet in the next few days after I go over and scope it out.

Thanks Naz.

And eh, noon on a Sunday might be a bit rough for some (me). Kinda have to get up pretty early... but I'll do it; I'll do it for you guys cause you're awesome.

Noon is early?? Oh, how soon I forget what it was like to be young! :) I can't even sleep past 8am anymore even if I wanted to. In any case, you might be overestimating the time it takes to get there. It should take about 20 min. max from the WTC, so any trip from Manhattan shouldn't be longer than an hour (that's being generous).

I figure if we get there by noon, set up the food and cook it up, we could be eating by 1:00, but we can definitely do it later, too. Although to make it easier if Lany wants to come, better not start too late, so she can get back home in time.

TC,

Post #1 now has links to directions and info. It's fairly easy to get to, but if anyone gets confused by the multiple transfer points, they can give me a call and I can pick them up from Hoboken or JC. I'll post more info about where exactly to meet in the next few days after I go over and scope it out.

The above says "From Newark Penn Station:

Take the PATH subway to Exchange Place in Jersey City. Then take the Light Rail to Liberty State Park. From there, take the shuttle bus to the ferry slip"

The picnic area as I recall is at the south end of the park, so probably will want to take the same shuttle bus to there, not the CRRNJ Terminal / ferry area.

For those taking NJT or the uptown (33rd Street) PATH, go to Hoboken and take the Lightrail south (Bayonne Direction) from there.

Naz - I'm so sorry I won't be able to attend. Circumsatnces won't permit it. Twice as annoying as it's "right in my back yard". But this is a fantastic idea. Maybe, assuming it goes well, and I know it will, we can make a yearly thing of it. :)

You guys are all just a bunch of copycats. And I have to say it is so New Jersey of you to picnic in a salt marsh.

Everything you are saying is completely true.

By the way, the Giants suck. And so does Barry Bonds.

Archived