The Inferior by Peader Ó Guilín

Werthead

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, I've read the book and loved it! Only problem was that it was too short.. And I never want to eat meat ever again.

[quote name='beniowa' post='1187550' date='Jan 13 2008, 02.56']Er...

*refrains from speculating on which two words*[/quote]

You Sir, have a dirty mind. :P

[quote name='Amras' post='1187891' date='Jan 13 2008, 13.56'](You can still find Avalon in Trondheim if you're interested)[/quote]

That would mean going to Trondheim... Nothing is worth that much pain :leaving:

[quote name='Anubiel' post='1204763' date='Jan 26 2008, 23.40']Ok, I've read the book and loved it! Only problem was that it was too short.. And I never want to eat meat ever again.[/quote]

Thanks, Anubiel!

Interestingly enough, I was thinking of revamping my website completely in the near future. One of the ideas I have is to hold a recipe competition based on the book...

[quote name='Amras' post='1205079' date='Jan 27 2008, 10.53']What's the word on the sequel, "The Deserter", Peadar? Amazon isn't listing it yet, so I'm betting we won't see it for quite some time, but you never know...[/quote]

The current rewrite is going well, so I should have a new draft into the publisher by the end of February. If they find no major problems with it (minor problems are, of course, guaranteed) I'm hoping to see it published before the end of the year. We'll see...

I recently had a chat with my friends in the local bookshop - they commented that while The Inferior is popular and easy to plug it would eb much easier to sell if there was an "adult's" version - different size type and a more "grownup" cover.
They commented that many fantasy fans seem to be leary of buying anything that doesn't look like a "normal" fantasy novel.

anyhoo, roll on book 2.... :thumbsup:

[quote name='BranTheBuilder' post='1205847' date='Jan 28 2008, 13.31']I recently had a chat with my friends in the local bookshop - they commented that while The Inferior is popular and easy to plug it would eb much easier to sell if there was an "adult's" version - different size type and a more "grownup" cover.
They commented that many fantasy fans seem to be leary of buying anything that doesn't look like a "normal" fantasy novel.

anyhoo, roll on book 2.... :thumbsup:[/quote]

I'm glad they're plugging it! My thanks float over to Scotland on a soft, warm breeze... Seriously, BtheB, if you're talking to them again, I appreciate it.

However, does anybody else think the cover is childish looking? That's a serious question. I'm about the least visual person on the planet and wouldn't be able to tell. Now, the size of the type, yes, and the blurb, yes, both are pretty YA oriented without a doubt. But I thought the image on the cover was fairly 'neutral' re: age. Are there any other opinions on this?

[quote]Now, the size of the type, yes, and the blurb, yes, both are pretty YA oriented without a doubt. But I thought the image on the cover was fairly 'neutral' re: age. Are there any other opinions on this?[/quote]
I'm inclined to say that the cover is fine as is, but if (for example) there was an image from the book on the cover - something dramatic and SFish I could see more folk getting excited about it.

[quote]I'm glad they're plugging it! My thanks float over to Scotland on a soft, warm breeze... Seriously, BtheB, if you're talking to them again, I appreciate it.[/quote]
They plug many great books - they do the Waterstones review cards and put together the staff favourites shelves... your book is alongside Abercrombie, Lynch and GRRM and has a glowing review :)

Peadar, looking forward to the next book. :D

[quote name='BranTheBuilder' post='1205847' date='Jan 28 2008, 07.31']I recently had a chat with my friends in the local bookshop - they commented that while The Inferior is popular and easy to plug it would eb much easier to sell if there was an "adult's" version - different size type and a more "grownup" cover.
They commented that many fantasy fans seem to be leary of buying anything that doesn't look like a "normal" fantasy novel.[/quote]
Well there's a switch. We always hear about how people won't buy fantasy because of the fantasy covers and now fantasy fans won't buy if it's not fantasy enough? Hooboy. :rolleyes:

[quote name='BranTheBuilder' post='1205984' date='Jan 28 2008, 15.19']I'm inclined to say that the cover is fine as is, but if (for example) there was an image from the book on the cover - something dramatic and SFish I could see more folk getting excited about it.

They plug many great books - they do the Waterstones review cards and put together the staff favourites shelves... your book is alongside Abercrombie, Lynch and GRRM and has a glowing review :)[/quote]

Very nice! I'm really pleased they were so good to me. I recently got my first ever bona fide, non-email fan letter. It came from a lady in Liverpool who was persuaded to buy by the bookseller. Seriously, I ought to have those guys on a commission.

But I can't help pointing out that the more recent GRRM covers have symbols on them, rather than scenes of action. The same goes for the JA and SL covers... It's so hard to know what works and for whom. It's the last thing that should matter, but there you go. I just wish I could claim that I had never bought a book because it looked nice. :blush:

[quote name='Beniowa']Peadar, looking forward to the next book. biggrin.gif[/quote]

Me too! :)

[quote]But I can't help pointing out that the more recent GRRM covers have symbols on them, rather than scenes of action. The same goes for the JA and SL covers... It's so hard to know what works and for whom.[/quote]
Very true - and I for one much prefer them.

[quote name='Peadar' post='1205863' date='Jan 28 2008, 14.01']However, does anybody else think the cover is childish looking?[/quote]
It is in me hole.

OK, serious: I think it represents perfectly what's inside

[quote name='Maid Sansa' post='1185579' date='Jan 11 2008, 17.11']Very close. Slovenian. :) (Yes, the chicken-shaped little country just north of Croatia.) It's a couple of lines from one of my favourite poems by a Slovenian author.[/quote]
You've just admitted to living in a chicken that isn't a chicken. Evil.

[quote name='niamh O'Toole' post='1206400' date='Jan 28 2008, 20.11']It is in me hole.

OK, serious: I think it represents perfectly what's inside[/quote]

Inside where? What were we talking about again? :eek:

I just finished [i]The Inferior [/i]. I enjoyed it - it's a bit YA-ish, but crosses over well enough. I'm definately excited to see what comes next ([url="http://nethspace.blogspot.com/2008/02/inferior-by-peadar-guiln-marketed-in.html"]full review[/url]).

[quote name='kcf' post='1213388' date='Feb 3 2008, 04.51']I just finished [i]The Inferior [/i]. I enjoyed it - it's a bit YA-ish, but crosses over well enough. I'm definately excited to see what comes next ([url="http://nethspace.blogspot.com/2008/02/inferior-by-peadar-guiln-marketed-in.html"]full review[/url]).[/quote]

KCF: Thanks for taking the time to review it!

Archived