The Inferior by Peader Ó Guilín

Werthead

[quote name='Werthead' post='1242804' date='Feb 25 2008, 18.25']I think you can guess my username. It's the same one I use everywhere :)[/quote]

And I, I'm peadarog, soon to be peadar 3 mates...

You can now read all my filthy stuff Peadar Óg ;)

You'll also be expected as a writer to post updates about serious stuff, like grrm does. When you get 200 comments like he does, you'll be a mde man :P

[quote name='niamh O'Toole' post='1242846' date='Feb 25 2008, 18.51']You can now read all my filthy stuff Peadar Óg ;)

You'll also be expected as a writer to post updates about serious stuff, like grrm does. When you get 200 comments like he does, you'll be a mde man :P[/quote]

Everybody knows he just made up 200 usernames and comments on his own entries. :fence:

[quote name='Peadar' post='1242821' date='Feb 25 2008, 18.37']And I, I'm peadarog, soon to be peadar 3 mates...[/quote]

Rather more than that fairly shortly, I imagne :P

Now to entice the 'Crombie onto LJ...

• 3 weeks later...
Finished it a earlier, I really devoured it (boom tish). A real page turner.

SPOILER: The Inferior

I like that Stopmouth is the only POV. His perspective and way of thinking really is very alien, but the reader has no choice but to accept his ruthless and Darwinian outlook and it makes it all the nicer when he does display a bit of compassion. I admit I felt a bit warm and fuzzy when he spared the baby four-legger. Wallbreaker was also a great character, very complex, villainous and intriguing by turns.

The aliens were all very ... alien. I found the Longtongues the creepiest because they sounded somewhat like giant spiders, and because of the whole "Mate with me, I'll give you pain!" conversation Stopmouth overhears. Yikes.

I wonder if the next one will show us more than Stopmouth's world, maybe contain some POVs of Indirani's adventures on the Roof? Her people seem to be descended from western Asians - Indians, Sri Lankans or Pakistanis - if I'm not mistaken. the religious fanatics certainly sounded similar to Hindus, with their belief in reincarnation and their strict pacifism and refusal to eat flesh.

[quote name='Brady' post='1277589' date='Mar 18 2008, 05.55']Finished it a earlier, I really devoured it (boom tish). A real page turner.[/quote]

Thanks a lot, Brady. :cheers: I'm really tempted to comment on a lot of what you said in your spoiler text.

[quote name='Paddy' post='1277700' date='Mar 18 2008, 09.32']Give In! Give In!

Join Ussssssss!

:P[/quote]

I thought I was to be inducted in Galway? Sacrifice my first virgin and all that?

[quote name='Peadar' post='1277921' date='Mar 18 2008, 14.03']I thought I was to be inducted in Galway? Sacrifice my first virgin and all that?[/quote]

Good luck finding a virgin in Galway. :P

[quote name='mormont' post='1277956' date='Mar 18 2008, 14.15']Good luck finding a virgin in Galway. :P[/quote]

Are you saying I'll have to bring my own? All the way to Galway without stopping?

• 1 month later...
Just finished the 25-page sample pdf in Peader's sig. It definitely deserves all of the high praise that it has received in this thread. Now I just need to find a copy of the full text. Is it available anywhere as an ebook?

[quote name='TengAiHui' post='1331037' date='Apr 27 2008, 07.11']Just finished the 25-page sample pdf in Peader's sig. It definitely deserves all of the high praise that it has received in this thread. Now I just need to find a copy of the full text. Is it available anywhere as an ebook?[/quote]

Thanks, TengAiHui. I'm afraid there's no e-book of this one, I'm afraid :( About the best suggestion I can make is to get the [url="http://www.amazon.com/Inferior-Peadar-OGuilin/dp/0385751451/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207952600&sr=8-1"]American edition[/url] from Amazon.com (available in June), hoping that the current low rate of the dollar won't make it cost too much! Sorry about that.

For anybody who is interested, the new UK paperback edition cover is available for viewing [url="http://www.frozenstories.com/inferior_paperback.gif"]here.[/url] It won't be hitting the shops until after the Summer, however.

Just realised I didn't post anything in [b]this[/b] thread after I finished the book a while back, which was naughty of me. Let me say instead that Peadar is quite, quite lovely and should be rented out for all future BwB meets. :)

Archived