Rugby WC II

Xray the Enforcer

Yeah saw it, stoopidly mindblowing, whats the bet he was track trained

I don't think he was, seeing as he is a Zimbo. They did say that he does the hundred in 10.5 though.

My favourite bit of the move was seeing Butch "no arms" James get handed off with great hilarity. And I loved how Habana was so pissed off about it he didn't even look remotely happy when he scored his try.

Er... that game finished 64-8, right? Couldn't help but notice that try put USA on 8 points. Did the kicker seriously miss that conversion? That's poor.

Good thing I check up on myself. 64-15. That's OK then.

Oh dear.

Looks like four decent QFs set up. Argentina's claim for inclusion in a major annual competition will be hard to ignore should they make the SFs. Hernandez is pure class and Loffreda deserves a lot of credit for taking a punt at him at 10. I do think he would be more exposed without Contepomi there to steady the ship though.

Argentina's claim should be hard to resist anyway.

It's definitely harder to resist now that Ireland (touted as the best chance the Home Nations have of winning it pre-WC) and Wales (Grand Slam Champs only 2.5 years ago) are already out. They have been beaten France (ranked 5th) and Ireland (ranked 6th) in their own right, and are now ranked 4th themselves. If Italy can be brought into the 6 Nations, there is no reason Argentina cannot come to some arrangement.

While it is more practical for them to be in the Tri-Nations (because they are Southern Hemisphere themselves) the fact that most of the squad ply their trade in Europe also lends a heavy chance that they can fit seemlessly seamlessly into the Six Nations - my only concern then would be it would be a bit bloated to have 7 teams.

But they have to fit in somewhere.

Edit: See strikethroughs.

they can fit seemlessly into the Six Nations - my only concern then would be it would be a bit bloated to have 7 teams.

Just kick out Scotland :P

I'm loving the fact that the US winger is now getting offers from English and French clubs.

Those people who don't want the minnows at the cup should remember that if they weren't here, then the likes of this guy and the Portoguese no 8 wouldn't be getting offers which in turn will lead to them being able to go back and pass on knowledge. That's how world rugby is going to get stronger

NZ team for France has been named:

15 Leon MacDonald

14 Josevata Rokocoko

13 Mils Muliaina

12 Luke McAlister

11 Sitiveni Sivivatu

10 Dan Carter

9 Byron Kelleher

8 Rodney So'oialo

7 Richie McCaw ©

6 Jerry Collins

5 Ali Williams

4 Keith Robinson

3 Carl Hayman

2 Anton Oliver

1 Tony Woodcock.

Replacements: 16 Keven Mealamu, 17 Neemia Tialata, 18 Chris Jack, 19 Chris Masoe, 20 Brendon Leonard, 21 Nick Evans, 22 Isaia Toeava.

I read that he's keeping Evans back in case Carter isn't quite right. I'd really like to see Mauger there instead of McAlister, but maybe McAlister will have a stormer.

I'm wondering what Howlett has done wrong to get dropped. Maybe Henry wants more physicality to match the French wings (apart from Dominici).

Good to see Muliaina at centre, although it does mean not having him at 15. Smith isn't quite back yet. I actually thought Toeava had a really good first half at 13 last weekend, I thought he did a lot of things that made the players around him look good. But I still have my doubts about him in big games.

It's not gonna happen, but I wish they had tried Carter at 12 and Evans at 10 this year.

Yep, that would have been interesting. Given my current doubts about McAlister, I would prefer your option.

Nice call on Muliaina at 13, BTW

You only say that because you're not aware of Ashton's cunning plan not to feed Lewis Moody the day of the game. When he eats their new fly-half you'll be singing a different tune.

"Lewis hungry. Lewis want meat."

While it is more practical for them to be in the Tri-Nations (because they are Southern Hemisphere themselves) the fact that most of the squad ply their trade in Europe also lends a heavy chance that they can fit seemlessly seamlessly into the Six Nations - my only concern then would be it would be a bit bloated to have 7 teams.

Possibly have a 2-tier competition in Europe? Portugal, Romania, Georgia, Spain, whichever of the current 6 gets thrown out in favour of Argentina, and preferably one more to make it six. Promotion/relegation, one up and one down every year.

Ah well, we went more in hope than expectation, but it still hurt. I just got back in Ireland very late last night after spending the weekend in Paris and going to the game The atmosphere was electric at it and I actually believed we would do it. Fair dues to Argentina, they were the better team on the day. And their fans were sound, raised a few glasses with them.

But they play a very simple style of rugby which everybody knew about, but they do it so well its very difficult to counter, even though you know what's coming. They make no mistakes. Still, We should have been better on the counter-attack after the high balls from hernandez. After they beat Scotland, convincingly, South Africa will beat them.

Both hickie and murphy were appalling going forward. Darcy is a joke. Dricco as usual was immense and I'm sure only Kieth Wood can know how he feels. its a fucking tragedy but it looks like one of the game's greats is going to go his whole career without winning anything meaningful. There is serious bad blood between O'Gara and Contepomi too. They were at each other all day.

Dissappointing world cup for us, but three mouthwatering quarters coming next weekend

Possibly have a 2-tier competition in Europe? Portugal, Romania, Georgia, Spain, whichever of the current 6 gets thrown out in favour of Argentina, and preferably one more to make it six. Promotion/relegation, one up and one down every year.

Like this you mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Nati...p_(rugby_union)

Ok, I’ve been trying to find any sane reason for the fly-half move.

The only realistic one I can think of is that maybe he thinks Michelak carries psychological baggage from losing so often to NZ, so he’s putting in a bloke who doesn’t have that...

Yeah, I’m reaching.

I think the Traille move is as a result of a dare gone wrong. Henry rang Laporte and said: ‘I’ll play one of my fullbacks at centre if you play one of your centres at fullback. Dare you.’

Funny how we have a fullback at centre for the third World Cup in a row. People were saying that it's why we lost in '99, then we did it again in '03 and lost that too. I don't agree with it at all (McDonald played OK there in '03), but still quite funny that we seem to be doing it again; I'm sure it's riled some people up.

Archived