Greg Keyes

Damaen

Well, they were just released, so if you're on the publisher's mailing list I expect that you'll get one soon :)

*Fingers crossed*

I think there's probably a picture of the US cover (for 'The Born Queen') on the Greg Keyes website, it's certainly a lot better than the UK version...

• 1 month later...

Well I've just completed The Kingdoms of Thorn & Bone series, specifically "The Born Queen", the fourth and final volume and I personally enjoyed it. Without giving anything away, if you've liked the series so far, then more than likely you'll enjoy the conclusion because it's basically more of the same...and if you haven't, then you probably won't even get this far <ahttp://forum-test.westeros.org/uploads/emoticons/default_wink.png' alt=';)'> For my more detailed analysis, you can check out the review HERE which is excerpted below:

"For three books now, readers have followed the memorable adventures of Virgenya Dare’s descendant Anne Dare, the king’s holter Aspar White, the honorable knight Neil MqVren, the studious monk Stephen Darige, and the roguish Vitellian dessrator Cazio among others, and in “The Born Queen†Greg Keyes delivers the payoff. Storylines converge, major questions are answered—Will Anne save the kingdom or destroy it? Who is Kauron? Will Cazio ever find out who murdered his father and does he love Austra more or Anne? Where is the fourth Faith? Will Aspar ever get his revenge against Fend? Is Hespero an enemy or an ally? What are the three thrones of power? Will Neil ever find love & happiness? Who is the author of The Codex Tereminnam—destines are fulfilled, and not everyone survives to the end. Of course getting to that point is half the fun, and like the previous books “The Born Queen†is narrated from several different point-of-views where numerous plotlines are occurring at the same time. These include Anne growing into her role as Queen and discovering the full extent of her power while waging war against Hansa and the Church; Aspar fulfilling his geos to the Sarnwood Witch who wishes to birth a new Briar King; Stephen searching for—and finding—Virgenya Dare’s lost journal and the secret faneway that granted her the power to defeat the Skasloi; and Leovigild Ackenzal trying to compose a song that will mend the boundary between life & death which continues to unravel, while complicating matters even further is the prophetic Hellrune, the unkillable Robert Dare, the Kept, and the return of the Black Jester, all leading to an unforgettable convergence at the place where it all started…Eslen."

So i finished it tonight. Waited, oh, 2 years for it? IT IS TIME TO DISCUSS!

And i have zero idea what the code for spoilers is (the black box of text) so maybe someone wants to point it out? i hope its as obvious as possible. I'll go in deapth after that.

The second i started it the other day the first thing i thought was "Ah. I remember this." Not about anything specific, but - and i have NO idea what makes this true - Keyes sure has his writing style. His books feel like his books, if that makes any sense.

Since i cant actually discuss the plot all i will say is the characters - Cazio, Neil, Anne, Austra, etc - were just as good here as they ever have been. But i had hoped for a slightly different ending. The build up was REALLY good, but i honestly thought a few more dramatic things were going to happen.

also, i think keyes forgot about berimund.

Redundant threads merged ;)

Now all four books are out I'll probably get around to reading the series. And agreed on Keyes' style: even his B5 and Star Wars novels have a distinctive voice to them, despite being set in someone else's universe.

I enjoyed it, but I thought he pulled some punches in the end in a way that didn't mesh well with his over all tone.

I think we are both on the same track, Guy. certain depressing things were supposed to happen. i could feel it. i even turned ot my fiancee and said 'all my favorite people are doomed." brinna's lines were fatalistic, Anne's plot was going to a certain destination, Muriele and Berrye had their choices... berimund as well. not one of them ended teh way i thought it was supposed to. And dont get me started with Stephen. The epilogue i hope i have figured out, i guess that and the aspar stuff all made sense to me, but that isnt a lot, percentage wise lol

I think we are both on the same track, Guy. certain depressing things were supposed to happen. i could feel it.

Small Spoiler Alert, No specific events being relayed, but perceptions of the ending are contained within.

There were events that took place in the end that just felt....rewritten, it didn't flow with what was being built. It almost felt like the editor read the end, found a Hollywood script writer, had them add on/rewerite the epilogue and said THERE! It was enough that, while I enjoyed the read, I wouldn't strongly recommend the book. The epilogue is the end, you simply can't lop it off and stop at the last chapter (Story wouldn't have made sense), but it was just too "opposite tonal" for me.

To sum up, I think Keyes wanted to go a different direction and for whatever reason did an about face.

I'm picking it up today with my super awesome 40% off coupon I got in the email machine.

I really like this series. I found, rereading the first novel I wrote, that his work was much more influential to me as a writer than even GRRM!

I'll be picking this up in the next few days... This has been one of my favourite series, of the last few years, but some of the things I am hearing have got me worried about the last book...

I wouldn't worry too much. It's just that the conclusion could have been a lot darker and more tragic than it ended up being. Otherwise it's a satisfying finale...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived