The obligatory Steven Erikson thread (possible BH spoilers)

Lord Baelish

Whiskeyjack says she's 15 in 1163 in GOTM, then later that same year that she's 17. Could just be him revising his earlier estimate, but the 17 felt like a mistake to me since her age in 1161 was given as 12-13.

It says in GOTM that he has a patch covering his right eye, then later that he's lost his left eye.

Nothing big, like I said.

Edit: I'm not sure if you were asking for elaboration on all my examples or not, but if so:

In GOTM it's said that Icarium and Mappo last visited Rake 800 years before 1163. In 1164 in DG, however, it's said that Mappo wasn't assigned to Icarium until 200 years ago.

In GOTM it's said, or at least strongly implied, that the mortal T'lan Imass were known as the Tlans (with no glottal stop apostrophe), that they went through the Ritual of Imass to become the undead T'lan Imass, and that there were no Bonecasters until the Ritual. In the later books, however, it's said that they were known as the Imass, that they went through the Ritual of Tellann, and that Bonecasters had existed before the Ritual.

hmmm, weird, never noticed or heard of those inconsistencies before, just Fiddler's age and Orfantal's gender... thanks for the heads-up, looks like it's time for a re-read :P

I suppose the spectre of the GotM-ism has more validity that I would like..oh well, I suppose you don't need me to tell you that the later books take precedence in these matters for the most part, ie. Mappo has definitely been with Icarium more than 200 years, the T'lan Imass were Imass before the ritual and had Bonecasters, etc. The others are unfortunate but minor, as you say :)

And, for Annelisse00, not a lot of screen time for Lostara and Pearl, but important things happen ;)

I suppose you don't need me to tell you that the later books take precedence in these matters for the most part

Attilles, yeah, that's why things like those I listed never really bothered me: it was never very difficult to figure out what was correct and what wasn't.

Just curious if anything more significant was altered or even added, like something that might change one's perception of certain characters or events.

caladan, has there been discussion on the Malazan boards of the changes made to GOTM for the US publication?

There hasn't, that I noticed. We don't get a huge number of American members, and almost no-one thats read both editions, so theres no way of telling, really. However, It's no major changes. I am intending to get a US edition myself sometime, depending on the P&P cost, but that will likely be sometime next year... But, as far as I know, its just things like Orfantal's sex, Toc's eye, stuff like that...

*waves at werewolfv2* :cool:

Thanks a lot BoG ;)

Attiles, how would *you* rate the book compared to the five previous ones? Was there anything that stood out for you in particular?

Also, given it's extraordinary size, does the book feel like it could have done with some serious editing or does it really need its size to convey what it it's story?

Thanks a lot BoG ;)

Attiles, how would *you* rate the book compared to the five previous ones? Was there anything that stood out for you in particular?

Also, given it's extraordinary size, does the book feel like it could have done with some serious editing or does it really need its size to convey what it it's story?

GotM is hard to get into but eventually it starts to work as to the continuity errors I do what I do with comics, sodding well ignore them.

Oh yeah sod it and spoiler me of the reasons why the Mazalan Empire no longer matters much. pwease. pretty pwease witha cherry ontop.

Just curious if anything more significant was altered or even added, like something that might change one's perception of certain characters or events.

Yeah, you've piqued my interest now as well :) I should be getting an American copy in the next few days and it won't take me more than a couple days after that to get through it. I'll report back then, if someone else hasn't already :)

I'd rate it second only to MoI and in some ways it's superior to all the others, IMO. I think his style is really maturing; the narrative flows better in general without sacrificing (much of?) the unflinching ruthlessness that us diehards have come to expect :)

As to the size, I think it needs it. A lot needs to happen in this book in order to prepare for Reaper's Gale, which has to take us back to the Letheri continent IMO, and I don't feel that any space is wasted or superfluous. The story rips along at a breakneck pace, doesn't feel like a big book until you pick it up :P

1. Is Ganoes Paran gonna finally use the otataral sword he got from the adjunct?

2. And Picker and the other malazan survivors of the Bridgeburners will have a role in this book?

3. Will we see Gruntle? And Kruppe?

1. Yup

2. some of them.

3. not telling :P

I though Erikson had already confirmed that Reaper's Gale takes us back to Darujhistan and events there? Or is that Toll the Hounds?

:huh: (confused)

Edit: actually that reading report did suggest that Erikson would only do readings from Reaper's Gale if more than half those attending had read Midnight Tides, so maybe it is set back on Lether.

Are there any speculative maps of the Malazan world floating around? I remember ages ago someone (I think it was either on Malazanempire or a general SF/fantasy one) was working on one. I'm also having problems reconciling the six continents confirmed to exist in Midnight Tides with the ones we know about (Genabackis, Seven Cities/unknown, Quon Tali/Falar, Jacuruku, Assail, Lether, Korelri/Stratem) as that makes 7. Any ideas?

Yeah, Toll the Hounds is back in Darujhistan. Thats the seventh book, then Reaper's Gale is the eighth :)

What so he has finished Toll the Hounds?

Cause I am pretty sure Toll the Hounds is the 8th and Reaper's Gale the 7th.

Archived