The obligatory Steven Erikson thread (possible BH spoilers)

Lord Baelish

LB, it may be possible to borrow it from someone who has is *cough* like me or Z *cough*.

I loved "Night of Knives". Even though the writing was slightly different, it really had the same flavour as the rest of the Malazan books with loads of build-up and then a huge catharsis-like chaotic action part in the end. :)

EDIT: Gods, the spelling, it burrrrns

Thanks for the offer, Cerys! I might have to take you up on that some day. :)

Its funny how ICE has a produced a good novella (well so people say) thats based in a very popular universe, can't get a decent publishing contract.

Yet there is a new Goodkind coming out.

Fuck sake if I can pick up "Debt of Bones" short story on its own, I want to know why the hell I can't pickup a copy of NoK for the same price.(ie your average Paperback price).

NoK, HD and BF are like chrome spinner hub-cabs, pointless glitter.

So your saying you need to read NoK to understand Bonehunters fully?

p.s. Werthead are you saing BH has the best prologue to date or Reaper's Gale?

p.p.s. Also I though ICE was going to use the Crimson Guard and his next "novel" will be about them, which I hope isn't another overpriced limited priniting.

No Worries found the boards. bookmark was corrupt.

Reaper's Gale, according to Patch/Kallor on Malazanempire, has the best prologue to date, allegedly (I lifted my sig from Patch's post on the subject, which sounds pretty apocalyptic).

ICE's next book is entitled Return of the Crimson Guard and will apparently be a full-length novel. Last I heard Transworld were taking a look at publishing it and Night of Knives around the same time (depending on the length of RCG, which is apparently nearly finished, they may even be in the same book, although that's just guesswork on my part).

I alway love the fact that a rank-and-file member of the Crimson Guard took down Lorn without breaking a sweat, plus some others survived crossing the entire Assail continent inhabited by the most dangerous MFers on the planet and just put it down to a day's job. The Crimson Guard are beyond bad-ass and not in the slightly tiresome way the Bridgeburners were (yeah, they're cool, we get it) because they haven't had much screen time. Of course, being the focus of events for a whole book may change this opinion.

• 1 year later...

Yeah I've finally got around to Starting GOM.I'm not a big fan of all this crazy-ass magic, wiping out troops like ants. I appreciate there is complexity though. I really want to get through this series, but this way too powerful magic just gets on my last nerve. Anybody else have this problem, or have an idea to give me a helping hand?Thanks.

So the latest news on Return, from Pat's interview:

The original manuscript for this second novel, like Knives, was actually completed long ago. It spends time with characters such as Greymane, Traveller, Blues, and Skinner – and so I am pleased that many fans of the world have expressed interest in these very characters – ones Steve and I marked out long ago for development.

Briefly, I can say that the mercenary company the Crimson Guard returns to its home and the home of the empire, Quon Tali, where they find the continent torn by a civil war precipitated both by Empress Laseen’s policies and cruel political calculation. They return to fulfill their vow to destroy the empire, but just what that entails becomes one of the complicating issues.......

In terms of timeline, RETURN follows BONEHUNTERS relatively closely.....

Iron Bars and other characters introduced in earlier works will all be in RETURN – that’s why they were introduced in the first place! Blues and Cowl (and others) were mentioned in GARDENS because Steve and I hoped that, eventually, we would have the opportunity to tell the whole story.

ICE thinks it'll come out in Spring 2008.

Briefly, I can say that the mercenary company the Crimson Guard returns to its home and the home of the empire, Quon Tali, where they find the continent torn by a civil war precipitated both by Empress Laseen’s policies and cruel political calculation.

Sounds like the fallout from trying to pin Shaik's Uprising on Coltaine and the Wickans.

If you're enjoying Gardens of the Moon to such a degree, you better brace yourself for both Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice.

Good times up ahead, my friend! :thumbsup:

Patrick

If you're enjoying Gardens of the Moon to such a degree, you better brace yourself for both Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice.

Good times up ahead, my friend! :thumbsup:

Patrick

Yeah, his vocabulary is a bit above me in many instances, but I make sure to look them up if I come across a certain word more then once. I also have been flipping back and forth between the dramatis personae section and glossary to make sure I get full understanding on things and of course the maps too (but I love maps). I did not find the locations mentioned in the prologue on the map through. But as far as reading and referencing all the extra information pages, I did the same for a game of thrones, especially in the beginning, but once you got a good hold on the places and people, then I just breezed through it. Hopefully it becomes the same in Erikson's series.

There is one weird thing with the maps in book one. Although I think this got fixed for the US version if you have it. I believe they had the city of Apple on the wrong side of Genebackis.

Glad you're enjoying the book. :) Nice to see someone liking GotM rather than the usual "I hate Erikson and he's crap". Well not like that isn't valid, it is, but as a fan I prefer to see people liking Erikson. If you have any questions on the book just ask, GotM does tend to throw you right into the middle of things with very little exposition. It's kind of confusing at first, but it makes more sense, especially in later volumes. Just go with the flow and enjoy the book.

LOL, people are all over the board on this series as is many series including ice & fire. Some people hate this and that, while others love it. Just looks like I will have to find out myself. I heard you can't judge this series until you read the 1st 2 books. I heard they get better and better as they go on.

Read and enjoyed GotM, currently struggling through Deadhouse Gates.

Deadhouse Gates was my least favorite after Bonehunters; if you liked GotM then MoI should be a real treat.

Unfortunately no barbed cocks and lots of worldbuilding. May lower your celery.

ETA: There's like, 6 Steven Erikson threads on the board, there really needs to be a better way of doing this.

6 have been totally published, and a 7th is on its way to various publishers. Plus there's a bunch of 'short' stories that are only, like 300 pages long instead of the thousand pages long that he normally does.

Be warned that it usually takes a while to get his books published in the US, so you might be forced to go to UK publishers or wait longer to buy stuff.

Archived