NaNoWriMo

ThomasFoster

Oh hell yes.

I just wrote 1500 words in a single sitting. Not much for some of you, I know, but I think it's the most I've ever written at once, at least for this story.

And damn if I didn't just finish one of the best scenes I've ever put to paper. Good Lord I enjoyed writing that. It's soooo going up as my excerpt for the NaNoWriMo site.

Congratulations everyone! :cheers: for all the words.

I discovered an inconsistency in my concept yesterday that I could not let pass, so the writing slowed down a bit, because I have to rewrite some scenes. But perhaps, I can break at least the 40k during the month.

Thats a shame Stone, I saw the outline at the BWB Writer's Board and thought it had potential.

I just cracked 40K but I'm feeling a bit ambivalent. Still enjoying the story, just in a bit of a rough patch at the moment. The last 5K words are utter shite but I forced myself to keep writing and you know what? I think its working. Writing really is the best cure for writer's block. Just get something on the page, I've found, and everything starts to sort itself out.

Thats a shame Stone, I saw the outline at the BWB Writer's Board and thought it had potential.

I just cracked 40K but I'm feeling a bit ambivalent. Still enjoying the story, just in a bit of a rough patch at the moment. The last 5K words are utter shite but I forced myself to keep writing and you know what? I think its working. Writing really is the best cure for writer's block. Just get something on the page, I've found, and everything starts to sort itself out.

Good for you. I just couldn't keep the intensity up.

I'm respectfully bowing out. I had no passion for the project and decided to scrap it. Good luck to the rest of you!

I'm sorry for you, but maybe, you find something else to be enthusiastic about.

I had a not so productive day, yesterday, I wrote only 850 words in the morning, but I'm glad if ever I get some words down.

Good for you. I just couldn't keep the intensity up.

But on the other hand, you've already finished a couple of books. So you've obviously found a system that works for you.

But it has been a pretty intese month. I've been exhausted these past few weeks. It's worth it though, to get something accomplished.

Red, there's still plenty of time to make up for falling short a few words. Is it the switch to English that's slowing you down?

For myself, I've managed a couple of strong nights, and am slowly regaining ground on the days I missed. I think all I really have to worry about is running out of story. Another 15k words to go, but at the pace I've been going, who knows if I'll squeeze out enough. If my writing weren't so damned thin, then it wouldn't be a problem. But there's nothing to be done for it now I suppose.

Red, there's still plenty of time to make up for falling short a few words. Is it the switch to English that's slowing you down?

That and I should not lose the overview over the whole picture while being in the head of one of the POV characters. None of them is entirely in the picture, but I have to be. :read: I also had a time line inconsistency I needed to rectify.

Also work happens, like today as well.

I haven't got a title for mine yet, but it doesn't worry me too much. I'll come up with something before I finish.

I second that. My working title is "Light" but it'll rather be a title for the series and might get changed in the end. I'm taking some time to find something fitting. I usually prefer to choose a title after I've written my stories/projects.

Sorry that you can't keep it coming, Stone. I hope you'll either have some more energy and enthusiasm for it some later time or get something new started soon :)

I haven't got a title for mine yet, but it doesn't worry me too much. I'll come up with something before I finish.

Mind you, this is a story that's been kicking about for more than a couple years I'm working on. It was quite the feat to actually have a title come to me. :P

It's the final week everyone. I've got only 4 days 17 hours and 20 minutes to go.

So who's going to finish? Besides Nym - show off! :P

I'm at just under 42k, and expect to be wrapping things up soon. I'll get it done just before deadline, most likely.

I'm torn on what to do after this. I'm starting to like my story again. It's going to need a lot of polish, though, before it becomes even a mediocre novel. I'm not sure if I should jump right into editing, or if I should put it away for a while and start the next book, and come back to this one later.

Keep going Red Sun :)

And yay Bill and Bellis - really good going so far :D

I actually got to write a bit again yesterday and the story's flowing again so maybe I can make a couple more words before month's end.

@Bill: finish the first draft, then when you're done with it and feel like editing, just do it. If not, start something else first and come back to it later, sometimes it's not too bad to let a story sit for a while to be able to edit it much better :)

Good luck! :cheers:

@Bill: finish the first draft, then when you're done with it and feel like editing, just do it. If not, start something else first and come back to it later, sometimes it's not too bad to let a story sit for a while to be able to edit it much better :)

The end on Nano will probably be the end of the story too. I'm closing on the final scene now. If I don't finish before , then it'll only be an extra day or two before the end. My big worry is that I'll get to 48k, and reach the end. Oh how mad I would be. Drag it out!

Yeah, 50k is pretty short for a novel, but I'll probably end up adding quite a bit during the edit/rewrite stage. I don't know how long I can draw it out to, but everything has happened much too quickly.

There is a lot of inconsistency in it already. I have firmly stuck to the no editing policy (well, after those first couple of days anyway) so all of the changes I've made along the way have to be worked into the beginning of the story. But I've already got a new story I'm itching to get started. So... take some time to rewrite and research the next project? Or jump right in and treat the new novel the same way I did this one? I just can't decide.

The end on Nano will probably be the end of the story too. I'm closing on the final scene now. If I don't finish before , then it'll only be an extra day or two before the end. My big worry is that I'll get to 48k, and reach the end. Oh how mad I would be. Drag it out!

That's when it's time for a character to develop a stutter! :P

Yup, I'm at ~44K so should be finished NaNoWriMo in the next few days.

Like Bill, I'm also reaching the end of my novel. One more tense plot-heavy chapter, then another rotation through the POVs and I'll be done. The story's winding into denouement. So that should be about 6 more chapters, and I should be done this weekend (my chapters are short, 1000-2500 words). I'll be stopping at ~55K I think.

I do think that I have waay too much plot (5 different story arcs) for 55K, so I'll need to pad a bit. Maybe share with the reader how people, or places, actually look ;) I tend towards minimalism and only describe or worldbuild when its absolutely necessary to the plot.

I have a list of people who're *waiting* (at least I'd like to think they are) to read my book, so I'll probably jump into editing right away. I'm too shy to show people anything until I've done a first pass edit for character consistency, continuity, and also grammar/style. Which means I'll probably be releasing my book to friends and family a few chapters at a time as I edit them over the next few months.

Continuity is a bitch... especially when cycling through POVs. I really need to sit down and write a timeline. I have the sinking suspicion that the action is moving much too quickly for verisimilitude.

I do want to get feedback though! If you want to be added to the list, pm me with your email. Or if you want me to read yours, let me know too! I'd be happy to. I haven't joined the BwB board yet, but I probably will at some point too.

That's when it's time for a character to develop a stutter! :P

Th… th… th… th… that’s bri… bri… bri… bri… briliant.

There you go, I've turned 2 words into 10. :thumbsup:

Like Bill, I'm also reaching the end of my novel. One more tense plot-heavy chapter, then another rotation through the POVs and I'll be done. The story's winding into denouement. So that should be about 6 more chapters, and I should be done this weekend (my chapters are short, 1000-2500 words). I'll be stopping at ~55K I think.

I do think that I have waay too much plot (5 different story arcs) for 55K, so I'll need to pad a bit. Maybe share with the reader how people, or places, actually look ;) I tend towards minimalism and only describe or worldbuild when its absolutely necessary to the plot.

I would have thought that 5 PoV's would make 5 times the story. :dunno:

Description would help fill my own out a bit. But then I might stretch it another 10k, and that's being extremely generous. A 60k word epic is still pathetically short.

I do want to get feedback though! If you want to be added to the list, pm me with your email. Or if you want me to read yours, let me know too! I'd be happy to. I haven't joined the BwB board yet, but I probably will at some point too.

I'm always interested in helping out (when there is time). That's not saying I'll be much help though. I'm pretty imperceptive when it comes to anything but hunting down grammatical errors.

Archived